The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

According to the Western PA web page ( Western Area of the Amateur Softball Association Of Pennsylvania ), ASA has approved a new rule 8-8-Y, which if I use the text on the W-PA web page, will read something like the following:

THE RUNNER IS OUT. When after a conference, base runners switch positions on the bases they occupied. Each runner on the improper base shall be declared out. In addition, the head coach shall be ejected for unsportsmanlike behavior.

The rule itself is pretty straightforward. I'm interested, as Paul Harvey says, in the rrrrrrrrest of the story.

This strikes me as an odd rule. The kind that will make it into the rule book only as a reaction to some specific situation or situations. Does anyone know the story?
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen this happen before. Basically what would happen is that a coach would have a fast runner on third and a slow runner at second. They have a conference and the runners switch spots, slow at third and fast now at second. This is done in order to try to score the run from second on a base hit, thinking that the faster runner would have a better chance.

When I saw it happen I noticed it and just told the runners to go back where they belong. I guess too many coaches are trying it now.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed this situation in a thread about a year ago. What happened if nobody recognized that there had been a switch until after another play? If the ump noticed or the defense appealed, would one runner be out for "passing" the other? Some people said they'd return the runners to the correct bases and eject the coach.

Guess the book gives us the answer now.

Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Tom.............

Many times ASA rule changes are brought forth by something that happened at a National Tournament where no rule completely governed the situation..............

I would give pretty good odds that at some AA game (It could be a JO for all I know..........but AA seems more likely)............that some coach did this exact scenerio to attempt an advantage..................

I believe that the reason that a runner hit by a batted ball changed from the BR being credited with a base hit.............changed to a "fielders choice" was directly related to a 18U gold pitcher who lost a No-No because of old rule....................

Joel

Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Tom.............

Many times ASA rule changes are brought forth by something that happened at a National Tournament where no rule completely governed the situation..............

I would give pretty good odds that at some AA game (It could be a JO for all I know..........but AA seems more likely)............that some coach did this exact scenerio to attempt an advantage..................

I believe that the reason that a runner hit by a batted ball changed from the BR being credited with a base hit.............changed to a "fielders choice" was directly related to a 18U gold pitcher who lost a No-No because of old rule....................

Joel

Joel,

I completely disagree. There is no way a manager of the AA game would be smart enough to even think about pulling something like changing bases to gain an advantage. Now, if your talking about doing this unintentionally, then I think you would be in the right ballpark.

Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mike...............

I am disappointed...............YOU being an ex AA player would have surely figured out a way to use this rule to your advantage.............

I KNOW there are some JO coaches out there (as early as 10U) that would definitely use a rule like this to thier advantage..............

Joel
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Mike...............

I am disappointed...............YOU being an ex AA player would have surely figured out a way to use this rule to your advantage.............

I KNOW there are some JO coaches out there (as early as 10U) that would definitely use a rule like this to thier advantage..............

Joel
Aaahhhh, but I was always an umpire first! My team often got sick of me telling them they were wrong about this rule or that, but never complained when my knowledge or awareness got us an extra out or kept a run from scoring due to a proper appeal.

Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah...........I am pretty much a goody two shoes when it comes to following the rules too.............

That's why I am usually in a lawn chair (or a corner of the gym) by myself at most of my kids athletic competitions.............

Especially Basketball...............the worst fans on the face of the planet..........many referees call these Fans Howler Monkeys...................grin

Joel