The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Since we are talking about plate shoes, we thought we should ask about base shoes. Right now we both wear the Adidas Dugout's. Which we like, but are worn out. I think Adidas is replacing them this spring, but since we have to purchase something we might as well explore all opportunities.

Prior to that we both wore the Reebok Pro Hex(Or the shoe prior to that...Not real sure). We both hated that shoe...Not enough support. It seemed like no matter what our feet, legs, and backs hurt.

I wore Spot-Builts prior to that........

In any case, when we were in Florida last spring, the umpires down there swore by a New Balance Shoe that we can not find(Web Sites, dealers, even a podiatrist that sells "specialized" shoes). In doing some research, it does seem that New Balance has a great repuation to go with their hefty price. We have tried a pair of non-umpiring shoes and liked them.

Any ideas or suggestions???? Any Info on a New Balance Shoe??? Please any insight would be helpfull. If nothing else, it will give us a new avenue for research.

Thanks
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've got the Spot-Bilt's. While they do not shine up as well as I'd like(the leather surface is not a great one), they wear well and fell pretty good. After using the wax, then a liquid polish, I put a spray on them that makes them shine pretty well.

Steve M
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool New Balance shoes

I wore the New Balance this year and after having troubles with my heals the last few year I had no trouble at all this year with my feet so I would recommend them highly. I found mine at the local store Just for Feet, cost was around $60 but will worth it for me.

Don
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Oppol

Are they NB turf shoes, baseball coaches shoes, what????? Do you have a model # or even a style name.

We have looked and looked and have come up with nothing. Any additional information would be great!!!!

BTW..We have never heard of that store where you purchased yours.

Please advise.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Re: New Balance shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
I wore the New Balance this year and after having troubles with my heals the last few year I had no trouble at all this year with my feet so I would recommend them highly. I found mine at the local store Just for Feet, cost was around $60 but will worth it for me.

Don
After Reboks, Ponys, Converse and SpotBuilts, I settled into a couple pairs of New Balance. My latest pair is triple wide which I picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods for $59.00

I do not consider that a high price for comfortable shoes.

But, then again, we all do not have the same feet or comfort level, so I would not recommend one shoe over another. If there is ever a HTBT decision, this is it.

Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I wear a pair of Reebok DMX walking shoes. Lightweight, good support, and they shine up nice. I think I paid about $55.00 for them last year. My decision came down to those and a pair of New Balance cross trainers (I can't remember the model number) for about the same price. The Reeboks just fit more comfortably.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you who use cross-trainers or other "general purpose" athletic shoes for field shoes.... Do you ever feel insecure on the grass, especially if it is wet?

(I have a pair of cheap cleats that I use for poor field conditions on the bases.)
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
The last 2 years I just wore a cheap pair of no-name walking shoes on the bases. I got a pair of the spot-builts for football season and I'm going to give them a try on the bases this spring.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

New Balance 609 Cross Trainer

I have worn these shoes for 3 years both as a FP softball umpire and football official. Other than wet grass, they have great traction. (Only slipped once but did not fall). These shoes are extremely comfortable. I would have loved to try them as a basketball official. The Spotbilt shoes are not comfortable on wide feet.

Here is a picture: http://tsa.imageg.net/@v=0256@/graph.../p585939dt.jpg
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

New Balance 572

I use New Balance 572 EEE. Hard to find in this area. I
ordered my last pair from Just for Feet over the internet.
Also got a pair of the Reebok DMX which are very comfortable.

Gotta have happy feet when you get
assigned nine games in one day as I did this past Saturday.
Actually went into Sunday morning. Left the field at 1:58a.m.
and was scheduled back for 8:00p.m. game. Somehow I got through
it.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Reebok made a really comfortable cross trainer that I loved...........I have not seen it here in a couple of years...........I don't have the Model.........and would probably have to run up to Houston to find it..........(I bought the two pair that I had from our local Academy...........but since the local one closed.........I have not seen them.............sigh

I still keep one pair and supplement it with the cheapies I can buy at K-Mart for around $15 bucks.............

My one remaining pair of Reeboks won't finish this season.........so I will fall back on the cheapies for base shoes (they shine up nice and are fairly comfortable)...........I do use the Walgreens brand cusions in them that seems to make the base part of the shoes last a tad longer..............

Joel

Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

"Nice Pun" looking at the post subject.

Gulf Coast Blue Wrote:

I use Walgreens brand cusions in them that seems to make the base part of the shoes last a tad longer

glen

BTW: Any of your DD playing in the USSSA tournament 23/24 Nov?

The McDonalds tournament this past weekend had 61 18U teams in it.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Here is where I part with the "normal" crowd. For a base shoe, I actually use a Dr. Scholl's work shoe/cross trainer. (Okay...it isn't that funny)

Actually, not only are they the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn in the field, they actually look great, wear well, clean up nicely, and can be had for under $40! I have tried many different shoes, and these are far and away the most comfortable that I have worn.

Scott