The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

In a NFHS game last weekend we had this play. Shortstop overthrows first base. The ball goes to the fence and is laying there. While the first baseman is going to retrieve the ball, a fan on the outside kicks the fence and sends the ball about 8 feet back towards the field of play. We called dead ball and awarded the runner a base. My question is, if you always award the offensive team for an act like this, what would happen if a fan's team WAS the offensive team, would you still award the base since his act benefitted his team? I don't see where it specifies in the rules that there is a difference in which team's fan did this. Thanks, Dave
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

In Fed softball when you have spectator inteference the ball is dead and you place runners or declare outs as they would have occured without the inteference. Just pull the crystal ball out of your back pocket and be prepared to eject an assistant coach. Have field management or home team, remove the spectator.

(Outs arn't specifically stated, just "penalty to nulify inteference" which leaves it open to your judgement.)

I beleive Pony & USSSA agree.

Roger Greene