The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

A few weeks ago at a Volleyball Tournament.......I ran into a Dad whose daughter I coached in softball 8-9 years ago...........(we were HS buddies from eons ago and he has also been a VERY succesful SB coach (2 State Runner ups and 1 State Championship between his 2 daughters)

He, like me has multiple daugters, but only 1 playing softball at this time and he wants to spend more time at the fields........

He asked about umpiring...........!!!!!

I told him then that I would get back with him when the new season started getting closer..........

We had our annual board meeting this week and I got to thinking about my old buddy........and what I could do to not only encourage him.............but help him become an ASA umpire...........

1. I have 8 nice Elbeco shirts in my closet..........fine for league in our association (I have already given away a few in the last couple of years).........donate him a couple........keep the rest for other prospective umpires.........+ my favorite 1 to keep in my archives...........grin

2. I have 3 chest protectors..........adequate/above-average/best.........offer him either the adequate/above-average one.

3. I have 2 sets of shinnies...........1 old set of All-Stars to the knee with NO instep protection......and 1 with.........(offer him the older shinnies)........

4. Old 100 lb. mask and 1 light weight one.........throw away the 25 yo. mask and give him places to buy new LW mask.............grin

5. Offer indicator, plate brush, etc. (things that I have multiples of.........NOT extra ball bag, etc.)

IOW............I can really help get this new guy going without ham-stringing me on equipment..............

And I can still afford to give up at least 1 plate brush, 1 indicator, and a few old Elbeco's before I hyperventilate because of "LOW GEAR SYNDROME"............

My first couple of ASA shirts were Elbecos that were given to me by my Area UIC...........may have made a big difference in not having to spend another 40 bucks to outfit me back then............

Just a thought.........

Recycle some of that old equipment to entice a new umpire into our ranks.............

I talked to my old buddy this evening and told him what I could donate towards his new career...............He is champing at the bit.............grin

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Oct 9th, 2002 at 09:39 PM]
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Amen, brother!

This is a great idea and a way to help entice more people into the umpiring ranks.

Our metro association asks us to donate older, used gear and uniforms to maintain a "stash" of equipment that is sold at a very low cost to new umpires. If a newbie knows that they can get a full set of gear for less than $50.00, it overcomes an obstacle to getting them started.

The association uses the money to help fund an annual scholarship to the Advanced National School as well as help offset some travel costs for any umpires selected for National Tournaments.

I know that when I got started several years ago, I was able to find all of my equipment at a second-hand sports store for around $50.00. It worked just fine until I got addicted.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

Joel,

You are so nice that you NEED to be the UIC of your group!!
I've never heard of an established umpire giving anything other than advise and a hard time to a newbie! I had to
buy all my own stuff when I started.

Elaine
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Last season I passed my old chest protector & leg guards on to a newbie to help him get started. He was grateful for the gear because getting started can be so expensive and is now loving being part of the Dark Side.

I did however give him the gear with this condition:
'When you can afford to buy new gear, and if the chest protector and leggings are still in good condition, you must pass it on to the next newbie' (so the tradition continues..)

I get a real kick out of seeing this guy go out to a game knowing I have helped in some small way.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Good job Joel,

Help the

If doing that helps increase our numbers, then go for it..

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

OK.............

I am giving up 1 chest protector (old and I have not worn it in a few years.........even when my others got smelly).......so I still have two adequate ones no matter what level I am calling on any particular night...........

A pair of Shin guards.............I do rotate these periodically..................but with Fabreez............I don't usually need to rotate them nearly as often as I used to..............AND......this may cause me to have to get a new/improved/better pair for my own back-up...............grin

1 wooden plate brush, 1 indicator and a nice line-up card holder (I have about a dozen......lol).....

3 Elbeco shirts...........2 just aren't enough sometimes..............

I do have an old ASA Navy Jacket(the shiny one) that is a bit tattered...........but I could not give that one up for sentimental reasons..........grin (I wish ASA still made it...........I don't like the newer model I got a couple of years ago)..........

1 flex belt............he is a bit skinnier than I am and may need it for his pants.............

I can probably give up one of the extra pair of shoe-laces I carry around with me too...........lol

He will still need slacks, shoes, belt, ball bag, mask.............but is on a good start...........

BTW........glen needs to give y'all a rundown of how he stores his gear............aw heck........its worth a new thread...........

Joel

Old Sat Oct 12, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
While speaking of used umpire equipment for new umpires, don't forget about eBay. Many times you can buy a complete set of used equipment for a bargain basement price. Dave