The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Instep guard ripping off plate shoes - repairable?

I have the New Balance umpire plate shoes. The right instep guard has ripped away about 1" from the inside edge. The other is worn a bit on both sides. Is this common among plate shoes? Can they be repaired?

I wore the shoes for 2 years (~40 games). I actually just replaced the second lace in July, so the shoes barely outlasted the laces. I contacted NB about a warranty replacement due to a manufacturer's defect and they said I could send them in. I don't have anything to lose so I might as well do it.

I did buy a replacement pair last month because I love the shoes and need something to wear next year.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Man, I wish Riddell still made the Arbiter. Best plate shoe ever, and they are war horses. My "mudders" are 10 years old and still better than some people's 2 or so year old plate shoes. Plus, I work a lot more than 40 games a year.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Plus, I work a lot more than 40 games a year.
Yeah, but he didn't tell you the games were on pavement and averaged 27 innings.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

My new balance base shoes are doing the same thing. They are right at two years old.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

I bought two pairs of the Riddell Arbiters on a discontinuation sale several years ago. If I remember correctly......they were under $60 a pair. Maybe not as comforable as the New Balance.....but they are very durable and one of the easiest shoes I have ever had to keep clean. New Balance discontinued the best base shoes I have ever worn........too bad.

I hope that New Balance fixes you up with replacement/repair. If not......good luck on finding a decent shoe repair establishment. There is no longer one in the town I live in.......but luckily there is a custom boot maker in an adjacent town that also does repairs.

Good Luck.

Joel
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I bought two pairs of the Riddell Arbiters on a discontinuation sale several years ago. If I remember correctly......they were under $60 a pair. Maybe not as comforable as the New Balance.....but they are very durable and one of the easiest shoes I have ever had to keep clean. New Balance discontinued the best base shoes I have ever worn........too bad.

I hope that New Balance fixes you up with replacement/repair. If not......good luck on finding a decent shoe repair establishment. There is no longer one in the town I live in.......but luckily there is a custom boot maker in an adjacent town that also does repairs.

Good Luck.

Joel
Thanks. Are they repairable? I don't know what they could do save putting a new piece of leather over the guard and riveting it on.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Duct tape fixes everything & now they many colors to choose from