The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

New umpire school subjects

We are preparing to hold a new umpire school this fall.

Here are the subjects we will cover:

1. Proper Uniforms and gear
2. Signals
3. Plate and Base mechanics
4. Rule Book overview.

Remembering that our audience is brand new umpires or umpires with less than a year of experience, is that anything else that should be included?

We are planning on a two-day, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm school, also spending time on the field with some drills and, hopefully, some live scrimmage play.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

2. Signals
4. Rule Book overview.

Remembering that our audience is brand new umpires or umpires with less than a year of experience, is that anything else that should be included?

We are planning on a two-day, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm school, also spending time on the field with some drills and, hopefully, some live scrimmage play.
Game management.
________
Living Eaarth Wellness Center

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:33pm.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Survival.

Actually, along the lines of game management would be knowing how to talk with a coach when s--- hits the fan.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I hope these weren't your priorities or order of discussion. New umpires need to worry much more about the rulebook than anything else. Mechanics next. If you run out of time and only hit that, you'll be ok (equipment can be a handout). if you use the order presented and run out of time, missing chunks of the rulebook will be a problem.

Our clinic last year featured uniform and what was expected of you (when to call your assignor, partner, when to be at the game, what to be wearing when you show up, etc), and leaving the meeting I heard several of the newbies talking about how we didn't touch a single rule until the exam itself.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Lineup management. Game management / dealing with situations.

Paul
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

What's the make up/background of the group? Umpires with some previous experience that are new to your association? Or are we talking about folks brand new to umpiring? If so, are they all young or do the ages run the gamut?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

5 Things Every Umpire Should Know Backward and Forward

1. Fair - A bounding ball which bounces over the base at 3rd base and lands fair is a _____________ ball. How many times have you seen this one screwed up?

2. Foul - Fly ball to left field near the line. F7 touches the ball over fair territory but drops the ball. Ball lands in foul territory. What do you rule?

3. Interference - This one is complicated enough as it stands.

4. Obstruction - This one is also complicated enough as it stands.

5. Infield Fly - Most players have no clue how this rule actually works and many umpires still don't know it.

These 5 things will occur multiple times in almost every single game. Knowing these 5 things backwards and forwards, how to apply them and how to explain them to a coach or player can keep you out of a lot of trouble. And because they happen quite regularly throughout each and every game knowing them just makes sense.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
1. Fair - A bounding ball which bounces over the base at 3rd base and lands fair is a _____________ ball. How many times have you seen this one screwed up?

2. Foul - Fly ball to left field near the line. F7 touches the ball over fair territory but drops the ball. Ball lands in foul territory. What do you rule?

3. Interference - This one is complicated enough as it stands.

4. Obstruction - This one is also complicated enough as it stands.

5. Infield Fly - Most players have no clue how this rule actually works and many umpires still don't know it.

These 5 things will occur multiple times in almost every single game. Knowing these 5 things backwards and forwards, how to apply them and how to explain them to a coach or player can keep you out of a lot of trouble. And because they happen quite regularly throughout each and every game knowing them just makes sense.
Great list. It's an excellent approach with new umpires, focus on the stuff they'll encounter and have to deal with in someway in just about every game they'll work. It also builds a good foundation for learning everything else in the book.
I'd add a #6...Proper base award on overthrows that enter DB areas and
#7....the basics of understanding what constitutes an IP in both FP&SP.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

2. Signals
4. Rule Book overview.

Just a suggestion, if you have time to acquire it and a way to view it, the ASA mechanics DVD is a good tool for new umpires.

Also, now would be the time to stress the importance of early game arrival and pre game umpire conferences. One of my biggest peeves is not seeing my partner until 15 minutes or less before game time!
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Also, now would be the time to stress the importance of early game arrival and pre game umpire conferences. One of my biggest peeves is not seeing my partner until 15 minutes or less before game time!
And, I often wonder about the mechanics of a partner who can't understand "meet in the parking lot".
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Interesting Response Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
And, I often wonder about the mechanics of a partner who can't understand "meet in the parking lot".
I had a partner once (note "once") in a slow pitch leagure where we had to set the bases before the games began. Being my usual on time umpire I would show up early and he would show up late. After two weeks of setting the bases by myself I realized what was going on. From that point on I waited in the parking lot for him to arrive and the two of us would go set the bases. Not too long after that he began showing up early. Go figure.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a partner once (note "once") in a slow pitch leagure where we had to set the bases before the games began. Being my usual on time umpire I would show up early and he would show up late. After two weeks of setting the bases by myself I realized what was going on. From that point on I waited in the parking lot for him to arrive and the two of us would go set the bases. Not too long after that he began showing up early. Go figure.

I am just wondering how it is in the job description to "set the bases."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree

But we're talking "****ty" I mean City League ball.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But we're talking "****ty" I mean City League ball.
Yeah...okay. So what is wrong with the players????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.