The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Bat Safety Issue - Safe or ?????

I've been lurking about for a while looking at the various forums, articles, discussions regarding the "safeness" of metal and composite bats. While I agree that in some leagues the so called "hot" bats should not be allowed, particularily in low level coed slow-pitch.

I read/heard/seen the various entities want to "ban" the use of the composite and metal bats in youth play. The latest the "government" even got involved.....pretty silly if you ask me.

Has it been discussed that it would really be much easier to change the "balls" and make the much more "dead" than they currently are if safety is such an issue? If it has, I haven't seen it. I would seem it would be much easier to manufacture a $2 softball that leaves the bat at the same speed as they did when we all used wood bats or first line aluminum bats.

The bat industry could then do what they wanted in response to the industry. I don't think any bat is going to "crush" a "soft" softball or "dead" hard ball if safety is truly what is the root of the discussions.

Am I off base here? Just seems like common sense but who am I to know all the in/outs of the industry.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
I've been lurking about for a while looking at the various forums, articles, discussions regarding the "safeness" of metal and composite bats. While I agree that in some leagues the so called "hot" bats should not be allowed, particularily in low level coed slow-pitch.

I read/heard/seen the various entities want to "ban" the use of the composite and metal bats in youth play. The latest the "government" even got involved.....pretty silly if you ask me.

Has it been discussed that it would really be much easier to change the "balls" and make the much more "dead" than they currently are if safety is such an issue? If it has, I haven't seen it. I would seem it would be much easier to manufacture a $2 softball that leaves the bat at the same speed as they did when we all used wood bats or first line aluminum bats.

The bat industry could then do what they wanted in response to the industry. I don't think any bat is going to "crush" a "soft" softball or "dead" hard ball if safety is truly what is the root of the discussions.

Am I off base here?
Yes.....and no.

There has been work on the balls for a while. The present task is to restrict the compression of the ball to slow down the travel speed. Some of the issues involve construction and durability.

The "industry" of equipment manufacturers is usually one and the same for bat and ball and the few that are independent do okay with a quality product. That said, think about it. If you are making a product, are your priorities going to be the sanctioning bodies or the customer covering the highly-inflated price tag? I think that is quite evident from the equipment companies' actions over the past decade of admittedly abusing minute loopholes in the rules that the consumer dictates.

And some may say the customer is fickle. I say many are egotistical hypocrates.

The rants about safety (pitcher's box, slower balls, distances, etc) are many, but in the same breath, these folks are talking about where to get the hottest bats, ABI techniques, the best ball for certain bats, etc. This is terribly evident in the many leagues which use ASA rules, but allow U-trip or hotter bats especially the seniors who are the most hypocritical AND susceptible to the dangers of the sport.

If an organization dumps composite bats and the others do not follow suite, what shall we chisel on the tombstone?

Logic and intelligence doesn't apply when talking about a player's ego and ability to brag about how far the bat, er........HE hit the ball in the last game.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 06:50am.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I agree with you in general............but, if we're really concerned for the "youth", those who don't make the organization's rules, those that are trying to please their folks and make their coach's happy, then why not use "restricted" balls for those youth leagues where the safety issue is really what we're talk'n about?

I was amazed at the "hitting power" that 8U, 10U, 12U have when they use the composite bats......and I'm not talking the "elite" of these kids....just your average "rec" players......they hit the ball 30 to 40 feet farther than I remember when I was coaching my kid. These kids would be the group I'd be wanting to make safer. As the skills increase, the danger may even increase.......there's always some kid that's heads and shoulders better than the rest and that's the player that could hurt someone......not the Susie or Joey that just started and is still trying to learn how to hit......

Wouldn't logic say that "youth" leagues/organizations use a more restricted flight ball? This way the "bat manufacturers" can continue to make the bats that the ego adults want to use. We're only talking about a segment of the hardball and softball population that can't make their own decisions.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making it too simple. If we're really concerned about our kids.............then fix it for cry'n out loud!!!
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
I agree with you in general............but, if we're really concerned for the "youth", those who don't make the organization's rules, those that are trying to please their folks and make their coach's happy, then why not use "restricted" balls for those youth leagues where the safety issue is really what we're talk'n about?

I was amazed at the "hitting power" that 8U, 10U, 12U have when they use the composite bats......and I'm not talking the "elite" of these kids....just your average "rec" players......they hit the ball 30 to 40 feet farther than I remember when I was coaching my kid. These kids would be the group I'd be wanting to make safer. As the skills increase, the danger may even increase.......there's always some kid that's heads and shoulders better than the rest and that's the player that could hurt someone......not the Susie or Joey that just started and is still trying to learn how to hit......

Wouldn't logic say that "youth" leagues/organizations use a more restricted flight ball? This way the "bat manufacturers" can continue to make the bats that the ego adults want to use. We're only talking about a segment of the hardball and softball population that can't make their own decisions.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making it too simple. If we're really concerned about our kids.............then fix it for cry'n out loud!!!
This is an officiating board. The players really are not our concern. If it were, we would be coaches and parents.

You seem to be looking for Utopia and there is none. If this concerns you that much, you may never be satisfied.

Not being a smart ***. This game is what it is. People elect to play the game and if you make it nerf ball, the people will take their game elsewhere.