The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You must have one helluva guilty conscience. Did I say you?
What?

Quote:
Well, folks can scoff all they please, but Chuck said it earlier. Training that many people to execute an advanced method and being able to recognize when it would be helpful is problematic.
So you teach them a inferior method and turn them loose, never to be heard from again. Great plan.
Quote:
Most of the umpires I see stay outside do so out of laziness and god help the team who cuts a throw home and shoots it back to 3B 'cause there ain't gonna be an umpire there to make the call.
Throw back to 3rd? You'll have to explain where you got thiat from.

I guess the majority of college officials are lazy for recognizing the benefit of staying outside in certain situations. Thank goodness the rumor about an NCAA/ASA relationship was just that. I would hate to have a gaggle of ASA SP geese decide what mechanics are used to determine my readiness for my next post-season assignment.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Officially hijacked.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
So if the BR doesn't go to 2nd, you are standing there "just inside the diomand" making a call on any play at 1st from 60' away?
Here we go again. You offer a scenario, someone responds to that scenario and you want to change it to show it doesn't fit your snake oil sales pitch. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Again, the diamond isn't that big. If there was a possible play at 1B, I would adjust for that situation.

Quote:
Working the system when the situation fits is what makes an umpire. It's a shame ASA doesn't feel the same way. I'm pleasantly surprised to see you off the reservation.
I'm nowhere I haven't been in my 44 years in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawman
So you teach them a inferior method and turn them loose, never to be heard from again. Great plan.
No too smart, are ya? Where was that mentioned? BTW, have you ever had the job of recruiting and training umpires for local and state play? I mean really train them, run a school and multiple clinics just to work the local league games? Are you aware that quite a few don't want the advanced training and many just will not attend clinics. So, do you suggest we have multiple sets of mechanics for different levels of competition? To quote my buddy, Andrew Sheppard, "how's the view from the cheap seats?"

Quote:
Throw back to 3rd? You'll have to explain where you got thiat from.
No, I don't. Don't think it was that hard to understand. After all, Wang got it.

Quote:
I guess the majority of college officials are lazy for recognizing the benefit of staying outside in certain situations. Thank goodness the rumor about an NCAA/ASA relationship was just that. I would hate to have a gaggle of ASA SP geese decide what mechanics are used to determine my readiness for my next post-season assignment.
Really? Again, you read things that are not there and cannot comprehend some of the simple things that are. Well, I'm not a fan of seafood, especially red herring.

Before I wrap this one up, let me just state that there is nothing wrong with the I/O mechanics. Most 3rd graders could easily pick it up with some of the training provided, it isn't hard and does not put any umpire in a more precarious position on the field than any other method regardless of level of play.

Say hi to Major Tom the next time you see him floating around out there.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Aug 20, 2010 at 07:01am.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here we go again.
Exactly.

Disagree with the almighty IRISHMAFIA too much or question the greatness of his beloved organization, and he, invariably, will resort to personal insults and questioning your intelligence.

I'm a bit surprised. By this time he normally has called someone Bubba.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

It has nothing to do with legs.

In a 3 man championship play system, there is absolutely no reason or advantage for 1B to come inside the circle on balls hit to center or left. The only thing that can happen is once that ball is immediately in, you could lose the ball... with worst case being - the umpire is in the line of fire... or "dancing" with players because you are in the way.

There is no reason at all for rabbit to bust inside on most plays. From the line or the rim, they have ideal positioning to work most plays from outside.

The ball IS coming back. ASA insist on jumping in, then jumping back out. This is unnecessary movement that causes balls to be lost by the BU, umpires to be caught in no mans land and umpires to find themselves in throwing lanes.

Personally, I would agree that rimming would not be appropriate in a two umpire system. I think that simply alleviates all together the concerns rimming brings up with "missing umpires"... for example .. if you rim on an obvious hit.. but it gets screwed up (bobbled, whatever), you can find yourself chasing a runner to two or even 3. Thats not a problem in 3 man IMO.

The book is for championship play and ASA is ready to build on their 3 man systems, I think. That is what I see by the crews I've been working with anyway. ASA works championship 3 man like its 2 man with an extra umpire instead of taking advantage of the system.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Aug 20, 2010 at 08:02am.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if the BR doesn't go to 2nd, you are standing there "just inside the diomand" making a call on any play at 1st from 60' away?
Absolutely. What's the problem? You have the perfect angle - distance is overrated.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Absolutely. What's the problem? You have the perfect angle - distance is overrated.
Please explain how being just inside and on the SS side of 2B to make a call on a tag play at 2B equals a perfect angle for a play on a runner returning to 1B.

Also, the "distance is overrated" mindset is not one that would be welcomed on the field with me as a partner or evaluator.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please explain how being just inside and on the SS side of 2B to make a call on a tag play at 2B equals a perfect angle for a play on a runner returning to 1B.

Also, the "distance is overrated" mindset is not one that would be welcomed on the field with me as a partner or evaluator.
I realize at this point you're just being belligerent because you want to... but come on. Really? I don't think anyone implied that the umpire would remain stationary. That is a perfect spot to be. The ball will take you to the play, and you ARE allowed to move.

If you had to sacrifice one for the other, would you rather have perfect distance and imperfect angle, or imperfect distance and perfect angle.

Distance is overrated - I'm not advocating laziness, and I'm not saying it's unimportant. Just overrated. Angle is more important.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I realize at this point you're just being belligerent because you want to... but come on. Really?
I don't think anyone implied that the umpire would remain stationary. That is a perfect spot to be. The ball will take you to the play, and you ARE allowed to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper
As you can see, it was not just implied, it was stated.

It appears that riding IRISHMAFIA's coat tails has emboldened you to calling people belligerent. Look Mike, I don't know you (which says alot since we both live in the Houston area), but some of the phylosophies you ascribe to are seriously flawed and will hold you back if moving up is in your future plans.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wow,

In one thread, Topper, you have questioned your UIC's in your area, put down SP umpires, and worst of all implied that a man you have never stepped on the field with will be held back because he does not share the same views as you. That is belligerent, and arrogant, and more than a little annoying. I too live in the houston area. And I know that I would much rather step on the field with Mike than you. If that holds me back from a org your involved with....okay.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
As you can see, it was not just implied, it was stated.

It appears that riding IRISHMAFIA's coat tails has emboldened you to calling people belligerent. Look Mike, I don't know you (which says alot since we both live in the Houston area), but some of the phylosophies you ascribe to are seriously flawed and will hold you back if moving up is in your future plans.
Topper, If you want to use big words to impress people, learn how to spell them. The word is spelled; PHILOSOPHIES. Here endith the lesson.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I realize at this point you're just being belligerent because you want to... but come on. Really? I don't think anyone implied that the umpire would remain stationary. That is a perfect spot to be. The ball will take you to the play, and you ARE allowed to move.
This is what many ASA-detractors misrepresent. ASA mechanics will put the umpire in the preferred/prescribed position to watch the play develop. Obviously, at that point the umpire can adjust his/her position as necessary as the play dictates.

Your damn right you are not only allowed to move, but encouraged if necessary as long as one does not place themselves in a precarious position for a subsequent play.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Aug 21, 2010 at 07:49am.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FP...C position, less than 2 outs, R1 on 2B, ground ball to F6 who fields it and comes up looking to start her throw to 1B after:

(1) looking R2 back to 2B
(2) "freezing" R2 who is a few steps off of 2B
(3) R2 has run by her enroute to 3B

What's the "mindest", the thought process, for the possible play at 1B, distance or angle?
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
FP...C position, less than 2 outs, R1 on 2B, ground ball to F6 who fields it and comes up looking to start her throw to 1B after:

What's the "mindest", the thought process, for the possible play at 1B, distance or angle?

Look for the 4th dimension?

JUST KIDDING!!!
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post

Obviously you won't be able to improve your distance much. You will lose some angle for the play at 1st moving towards 2nd to improve both on a play there in situations 1 & 2. In 3, if R2 runs on the throw to 1st, he/she is no longer my responsibility. If there is no throw to 1st, I will stay with R2 to 3rd.

The mindset should always be both, but you take what the play gives you.