The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

In the zone...and then............

USSSA tournament this weekend. I have been umpiring for about 4 years. At an ASA tournament about a month ago I worked 4 games with a veteran umpire, Randy Gouday(?), NCAA, and while I'm a veteran, 65, I'm relatively new. He critiqued my game during the day for which I am very grateful. I thought I was a pretty good umpire but he showed me how to get better, changed my stance, working with coaches, etc.

Anyway, this weekend, for the first time, I was "in the zone" on Saturday. Saw every pitch, didn't miss a one (in my mind). Come Sunday, all of a sudden I seemed to be off. Worked hard to bring myself back and felt by the end of the game I'd got it back, mainly by reminding myself to concentrate on every pitch.

So, my question to you all. I'm sure you have been "in the zone", much like a batter who sees the ball as a big watermellon at times and a pea at other times. Batters do things to get them out of a slump. What are good tips to get an umpire out of a slump. "In the zone" is intoxicating.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Much as a player in a slump, you start with the fundamentals. Speaking the ASA stance (and you can adapt to your stance), I ask myself:

1) Are you in the slot? Where is your nose (or ear)?
2) Do you have a solid heel-toe (GPA)?
3) Are you the correct distance from the catcher, so that she isn't blocking the zone?
4) Are your eyes set at the top of the zone (may be different for other stances)?
5) Are you setting early enough to see the pitch from release?
6) Are you in your routine (set, pitch call, step back, clear your head, reset, start again)?
7) Is your mind wandering? Concentrate, this is YOUR game.
8) Are you being distracted? If so, either clear the distraction, or ignore it.

That's my checklist; I am sure others have a similar list tailored to their stance.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 11:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Glad you had a chance to work with Randy. He is a good umpire. He helped me pick up several things when I was first starting softball several years ago.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Much as a player in a slump, you start with the fundamentals. Speaking the ASA stance (and you can adapt to your stance), I ask myself:

3) Are you the correct distance from the catcher, so that she isn't blocking the zone?
4) Are your eyes set at the top of the zone (may be different for other stances)?
6) Are you in your routine (set, pitch call, step back, clear your head, reset, start again)?

That's my checklist; I am sure others have a similar list tailored to their stance.
Steve gives you a great checklist. I find that if I focus on S..L..O..W..I..N..G D..O..W..N, I can get back in the groove. See the pitch pass through (or outside) the zone. See it hit the catcher's glove. Wait ... wait ... call it.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, that is exactly how I was able to get it back, s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n and concentration. When I was in the zone, I was focused and on Sunday when I realized I wasn't it was because of my concentration. I was letting other things enter my mind. It took almost 2 innings before I could get my mind back to the zone and even then I wasn't as I was on Saturday.

The checklist is great and what I learned this weekend was, like anything else, your mind has to be 100% on job. You can't let anything interfere with your concentration. You can't think about what the parents are saying, what the coach may be moaning about, what your wife said to you last night, how your kids doing, why the last ump didn't give the coaches the right information on how to fill out a line-up card, etc. All that stuff has to be totally put out of mind. Easier said then done but, as I said, "in the zone" is intoxicating. There is such a rush when you feel it and you want to feel it again.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Randy Goudy is an excellent umpire and fun to work with. There's no question that I am better at our craft for having been around him a bit.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Steve just gave you a great check list. Follow that.

I usually find that when I lose it, I'm too fast. I'll then go back to the fundamentals - much as Steve suggests. To slow myself down, I'll also remind myself that my priority is not calling the pitch, it's watching the catcher catch the ball. If I concentrate on watching the catcher catch the pitch and then make my call - I've slowed myself down to when I ought to be.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Steve just gave you a great check list. Follow that.

I usually find that when I lose it, I'm too fast. I'll then go back to the fundamentals - much as Steve suggests. To slow myself down, I'll also remind myself that my priority is not calling the pitch, it's watching the catcher catch the ball. If I concentrate on watching the catcher catch the pitch and then make my call - I've slowed myself down to when I ought to be.
I love that, "watch the catcher catch the ball". I'll use that. Thanks
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

I find the bold portion the best timing device and use it as a "break" between pitches.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Randy Goudy is an excellent umpire and fun to work with. There's no question that I am better at our craft for having been around him a bit.
What I loved about Randy was that he asked me first if I was open to some advice before giving it to me. When I said "yes", that was the best thing I ever did as an umpire. I learned so much about umpiring that day. I hope to have the privilege again.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Just a thought...

What happened between your "in-the-zone" game and your "not-in-the-zone" game that may have changed your focus?

Did you drink Saturday night?
Were the games relatively the same matchups, or was one a blowout?
Did you sleep better Friday night than you did Saturday night?
Any fight with the better half?
Meal routine different?

Just some things to ponder.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Just a thought...

What happened between your "in-the-zone" game and your "not-in-the-zone" game that may have changed your focus?

What are you saying here?

Quote:
Ignore this question if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
what are you saying here?

Ignore this question if you stayed at a holiday inn express :d
:d
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Just a thought...

Were the games relatively the same matchups, or was one a blowout?
Any fight with the better half?
Meal routine different?

Just some things to ponder.
I didn't sleep well Sat. night. I have restless legs and after working 6 games on Sat. the legs really act up at night. I just think I was mentally more prepared Sat. then I was Sun., probably because I was tired on Sunday.

Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited by drh898; Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 04:57pm.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
I didn't sleep well Sat. night. I have restless legs and after working 6 games on Sat. the legs really act up at night. I just think I was mentally more prepared Sat. then I was Sun., probably because I was tired on Sunday.

Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

6 games Saturday is more than I want to do. And I'm almost 10 yrs from age 65. Over the past several years, I've become convinced that when uic's have umpires working 2 on, 1 off, and they are doing more than 4 games in a day - they really don't care if the umpiring is good. It may well be a numbers game - too many games & not enough umpires - and much of the fault there is the TD, not necesasarily the uic.