The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Is BR out? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58383-br-out.html)

Centerfield9 Fri Jun 11, 2010 09:17pm

Is BR out?

The batter hit a deep fly ball to the outfield and dropped the bat into fair territory. While the batted ball was in the outfield, the on-deck batter moved the bat out of play. The umpires ruled that the BR is out because the on-deck batter entered fair territory during live play. Is that the correct call?

I understand that if the on-deck batter interfered with a play or intentionally tried to distract the fielders, the umpire could rule against the offensive team, but that didn't happen. The intent was to get the bat out of play to avoid a player (offensive or defensive) from getting injured.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 11, 2010 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerfield9 (Post 681590)
The batter hit a deep fly ball to the outfield and dropped the bat into fair territory. While the batted ball was in the outfield, the on-deck batter moved the bat out of play. The umpires ruled that the BR is out because the on-deck batter entered fair territory during live play. Is that the correct call?

No, but are you sure THAT was the call?

Centerfield9 Fri Jun 11, 2010 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 681593)
No, but are you sure THAT was the call?

Yeah. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't even our game -- it was the previous game. So before our game started, I asked the umpire about it because I didn't want our team to be a victim. Crazy!

KJUmp Fri Jun 11, 2010 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerfield9 (Post 681590)

I understand that if the on-deck batter interfered with a play or intentionally tried to distract the fielders, the umpire could rule against the offensive team, but that didn't happen. The intent was to get the bat out of play to avoid a player (offensive or defensive) from getting injured.

If the sitch occurred exactly as you posted it, all I can say is....WTF????
Curious, what level of play?
Were these newer/young/inexperienced umpires?

Centerfield9 Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 681596)
If the sitch occurred exactly as you posted it, all I can say is....WTF????
Curious, what level of play?
Were these newer/young/inexperienced umpires?

It was a routine stand-up double, then the ump called the BR out. I said "WTF?? What could POSSIBLY have happened?"

It's a mens league (18+ years old) with new umpires, not really young, and not sure of their (in)experience.

KJUmp Sat Jun 12, 2010 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerfield9 (Post 681598)
It was a routine stand-up double, then the ump called the BR out. I said "WTF?? What could POSSIBLY have happened?"

It's a mens league (18+ years old) with new umpires, not really young, and not sure of their (in)experience.

Hopefully, one or both of them (after thinking back on it), will go to the rule book/casebook/manual of whatever rule code you were playing under and see how they misinterpreted the rule. Or, have the opportunity to discuss the sitch with an experienced rules knowledgeable veteran umpire who can correct them.

A bad mistake? Yes. Did your team get the short end of the call? Yes. But your reply indicates that they were new umpires....that kind of stuff happens at times with new umps. That they learn from it is the important thing.

Let me ask you this. As new umps how did they do overall in the rest of the game. Specifically, were they out there making a good effort, hustling, working to get into proper position to make their calls, was the PU relatively consistent with his strike zone? How did they handle the ensuing discussion, argument on the call in question (aside from your team's displeasure with the outcome)?
Just curious.