The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation 1 up?

So I'm a brand new umpire this year. I've been reading over all of the rule books (ASA) and the local city rules. I have a question regarding the home run rules:

Home Run Rule for 2010 is 3 per team and then 1 up after that.

What do they mean "1 up after that?"

Ya, this may seem obvious to YOU, but please fill me in what this means.

Thanks
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
So I'm a brand new umpire this year. I've been reading over all of the rule books (ASA) and the local city rules. I have a question regarding the home run rules:

Home Run Rule for 2010 is 3 per team and then 1 up after that.

What do they mean "1 up after that?"

Ya, this may seem obvious to YOU, but please fill me in what this means.

Thanks
Though a local rule, it means that either team cannot have more than one more HR than the other.

So when each team is allowed 3, that means both teams can hit 3 HRs at any time without worrying about how many the other team hits.

The "1 up" does not come into play until BOTH teams have hit 3 HRs. Once they both reach that level, the "1 up" rule goes into effect.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Once both teams hit 3 HRs, any team can hit one more to be "1 up" over the other team (4 HRs to 3). Then the other team can hit up to 2 HRs to be "1 up" again (5 HRs to 4). "1 up" means that neither team can hit 2 or more HRs MORE than the other team after the 3-HR limit.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. Good advice here.

Welcome to the board, btw! Glad to have you here.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfield9 View Post
Once both teams hit 3 HRs, any team can hit one more to be "1 up" over the other team (4 HRs to 3). Then the other team can hit up to 2 HRs to be "1 up" again (5 HRs to 4). "1 up" means that neither team can hit 2 or more HRs MORE than the other team after the 3-HR limit.
Yes, but I would avoid that explanation and just keep it as "one" up. Take it from experience, introducing another number into it will only cause confusion for someone down the road.

It is not difficult, but it is par for the course for someone to try and outthink the rule or bend and sell it in some manner other than how it is meant.

The name is its simplicity. Any team can only be one-up in the HR catagory.

BTW, this only applies to over-the-fence (or balls which clear a specific marker) fair batted balls. Also, a four-base award does not apply to the count.