The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Nationals....Worth it????

I was promised an ASA National for next year, dunno what it is yeat, from our district director. I've heard bad stories about umpires being treated like crap...expected to be at the sight for 4-5 days and getting 3-4 games a day at $20/game. Any of this true??

If so, I'd rather turn down the prestige of the National tourney and take a normal local one, sleep in my own bed and make $30 a game.

Thoughts??
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Is it worth it????

Yes. But with your attitude, do eveyone a favor and stay at home.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
The first National I worked, we made $18.00 a game. Every time I look at that certificate on my wall, I smile.
I agree, if it's all about the money for you, stay home.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I read derwil's post a little differently here. What he's actually weighing isn't so much the money, but whether it's worth putting forth all of the effort, blood and sweat if the rumors about treatment of umpires are true.

I've been to two Nats so far and have signed my contract for my third this year. At both Nationals, all umpires were treated with the same respect they gave the UIC, tourney and the game. If they were slouches, they heard about it. If they were professionals, they got their kudos.

I'm a firm believer in that you can't build yourself up without doing some tear-down first. The UICs I worked for in these tourneys were not out there to knock some heads around just because they can. If they did, it was for good reason: umps showing up late, umps not hustling, umps not using the proper mechanics. Their suggestions and criticisms, in my opinion, were largely constructive with the intention of making us all better umpires.

But if you do your homework, study your rules, sharpen your mechanics and develop good game management skills, you'll have a VERY enjoyable SP tourney. The caliber of players is better, the "chirping" is considerably lessened, and you'll have some very good partners to work with.

Is it worth it? I say so, and my certificates and patches are my badges of honor.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
I was promised an ASA National for next year, dunno what it is yeat, from our district director. I've heard bad stories about umpires being treated like crap...expected to be at the sight for 4-5 days and getting 3-4 games a day at $20/game. Any of this true??

If so, I'd rather turn down the prestige of the National tourney and take a normal local one, sleep in my own bed and make $30 a game.

Thoughts??
If it is only the bucks, then yes it is not 'worth it'.

But being evaluated by a UIC who has never seen you work a game, being around other blues who are dedicated to the game, learning from everyone's experiences, working with other partners from other regions, or simply getting to put a 'skin on the wall'. Then yes, it is worth it. Umpiring is not always about the 'bucks'. At that level, it is not 'pacing' yourself,but being the best mechanics umpire you can be for those '3-4' games a day. Doing it the 'ASA way', I don't see how anyone can do justice to the teams/players/coaches/fans by doing anymore games in a day.

Last edited by okla21fan; Mon May 31, 2010 at 09:23pm.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts??
You are in Alabama and are being told about umpires being treated like crap? Alabama is one of the premier places an umpire can work a national. I was treated like a king in Mobile. G. Pat always made sure the umpires at 'Bama NCs were treated great. However, 3-4 games a day may not include your night games.

But I agree with the others. If you are placing convenience and money ahead of working a NC, opt out and give someone else an opportunity.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You are in Alabama and are being told about umpires being treated like crap? Alabama is one of the premier places an umpire can work a national. I was treated like a king in Mobile. G. Pat always made sure the umpires at 'Bama NCs were treated great. However, 3-4 games a day may not include your night games.

But I agree with the others. If you are placing convenience and money ahead of working a NC, opt out and give someone else an opportunity.

I was wondering about this too,
You being in Alabama is the top that you can get.
I don't know who you have been talking to but they cannot be more misinformed.
The reason for someone to tell you that stuff is one of two things;
1. They want you to pass so that they can take your spot.
2. They suck as an umpire and have been passed over time and time again.

I have worked many Nats in AL and I can honestly say that in the country, I was never treated better than in Alabama.
I have been to Dothan, Birmingham, Gadsden, Cullman, Pell City, Anniston, Mobile, Auburn, Opelika and a few others that I cannot remember right now but I am telling you, never did anyone get treated so well as we umpires did in Alabama.

If somebody is telling you what you say you have been told, you need to check their motivations and their reputation as an umpire.

If your concern is money, stay home.
I have worked Nats where I only did two games a day, but that was the format and the Armed Forces Nat was one of the best that I have ever been at.
I have worked games from 7:30am to well after midnight at others, they were great too.

A national is a place as an umpire that you have been recognized as being skilled and dedicated enough to handle championship play.
If you were promised one, then somebody somewhere thought you deserved it.
I know many umpires that would give their left N** to just get one game at a national.
Go socialize, get to know others and have a blast.

But again, if you are concerned about money, don't go.
Your attitude will be a drag on the other umpires and your head won't be in the game.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts??
Yes ... please do just that. wow.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts??
By the time you buy new uniforms (which you would eventually anyway) and take time off from work (which you would for a vacation anyway) it wouldn't matter if Nationals paid $100.00 a game and you got 6 per day! It still isn't a money maker. And the prestige may not be worth squat to some, but You should look at all the other benefits working a National can bring.

If you leave a National and have not become even a slightly more proficient umpire, you haven't paid attention!

If you leave a National and have not made new friendship with other folks who share the same passion for umpiring as you, then maybe you should stay home.

I have new friends from as far away as Alaska now that I wouldn't have had were it not for calling a National tournament. I also get calls from some to come work a tournament in their area, and in some very nice places!

I have never been treated like crap at a National. I have been at several travel venues though!

I vote with mbcrowder. Stay home and leave more spots available for the rest!

Yep, There is much more to consider than the pay.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post

If you leave a National and have not become even a slightly more proficient umpire, you haven't paid attention!

If you leave a National and have not made new friendship with other folks who share the same passion for umpiring as you, then maybe you should stay home.
I've been able to work three ASA Nationals. I learned more about umpiring in those three tournaments than I did in years of local clinics and many seasons of working games with my own association.

But the best part is the friends you make. I've met some of the top officials in our game, and I regularly exchange e-mails with umpires from around the country. When I had my leg amputated, it was this network that put me in touch with other amputees who came back to call fastpitch. That encouragement was worth way more than any game fees I could have earned.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the time you buy new uniforms (which you would eventually anyway) and take time off from work (which you would for a vacation anyway) it wouldn't matter if Nationals paid $100.00 a game and you got 6 per day! It still isn't a money maker. And the prestige may not be worth squat to some,
Precisely why I haven't done one. I still may, one day. But don't take offense when folks say it doesn't mean that much to them. It's just true. I mean no disrespect in saying it. I pay good money to do things many think are crazy. It takes all kinds.

Is it ALL about the money? No. I get that. But, if it at least paid for the trip, it would make it more attractive to this umpire.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc452010 View Post
Precisely why I haven't done one. I still may, one day. But don't take offense when folks say it doesn't mean that much to them. It's just true. I mean no disrespect in saying it. I pay good money to do things many think are crazy. It takes all kinds.

Is it ALL about the money? No. I get that. But, if it at least paid for the trip, it would make it more attractive to this umpire.
Hmmm.....I've never lost money on a national.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 Cents

I've been to 7 National Championships.

I've loved every single one of them. It didn't matter if I called 5 games in 5 days (which I had happen) or 25 games in 4 days (which has also happened). The idea of being in that 2% of umpires in the country to be "selected" to call a National Championship is a reward all in itself. I've made friends around the country that I still say in contact with. Not to mention the quality of the game.

If you're in it for the money stay home. If you want to go experience something great then go.

I've been treated like a king and I've been treated like a pauper. I think it depends on the location of the tournament. I was in a small town in Georgia where it appeared the city made living out of hosting National Tournaments and we were treated pretty poorly. Mobile, AL was great!!! I believe our host was J. Johnson and he had us all to his home where we were fed steak dinners. It was awesome.

That's just my 2 cents. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The idea of being in that 2% of umpires in the country to be "selected" to call a National Championship is a reward all in itself.
I agree. I just didn't want to go. You did. I'm happy you're happy (sincerely).

IM...maybe "losing" money is harsh. It's just not THAT high on the priority list. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the field, though. I may absolutely change my mind in the future.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

My first National I was broke and the expense of Uniforms, etc. really hurt me. I went in with a "counting game" mentality. My attitude ruined my National experience and it showed in my umpiring.

The second National I did I saved for like I would save for a vacation and truly enjoyed the experience, and it showed in my umpiring. I learned a lot, and made good friends. Plus made it to Sunday.

You do need to be financial prepared to work a National. If you do not plan for it, like a vacation, then you and your umpiring will suffer. This is not fair to the tournament, teams, parents, and your fellow umpires. But, more important... this is not fair to yourself because you will not get out of it what you should have gotten out of it!