The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3 man mechanics, rotation on homerun (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58263-3-man-mechanics-rotation-homerun.html)

shipwreck Sun May 30, 2010 09:27pm

3 man mechanics, rotation on homerun

Where in any 3 man mechanics manuals does it state what should be the rotation on a home run when the 1BU starts on the line? I was working our State HS tourney in the Fall. I was PU on a home run and stayed home to make sure batter/runner touched 3rd and home. After the game I was told I needed to rotate to third and 1BU would rotate home, just as if it wasn't a home run. I have been watching quite a few NCAA tourney games, and many do this but some have not been doing this. It makes sense to do it by why are there some that aren't? Does any manual give exact directives on this? Dave

ncaaumpdj Sun May 30, 2010 09:41pm

U1 rotates home when: no one on or runner on 1st only and no umpire chases

Rachel Sun May 30, 2010 09:42pm

If the home run is a bomb and no one goes out on the ball then the rotation would be 1U to home and PU to 3rd. If one of the base umpires goes out then it would be just like the a 2 umpire system.

ronald Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:07am

what manual? could not find it in fed or asa but i guess implied on a fly ball to the outfield.

believe it does say it specifically in NCAA. yes o no?

DaveASA/FED Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28am

I think in NCAA it says not to chase on a can of corn, or an obvious home run. This is what I have been told, I don't call any NCAA ball. But if this is true and nobody goes out then the rotation would be the same as a ground ball through the infield, PU to 3rd, 1BU to home.

But in ASA and FED anything that has a chance of being caught someone should chase, so then that would leave you with 2 person mechanics and PU would have BR touching home, BU (whichever didn't go out) would take BR all the way to 3rd. Now if for some reason nobody went out, then you would have the same rotation as the ground ball through the middle.

Skahtboi Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36am

The basic rule of thumb for NCAA, to make it as simple as it can possibly be made is this, if you think that it might present a problem for your PU to call, then you should chase.

MichaelVA2000 Tue Jun 01, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 679510)
The basic rule of thumb for NCAA, to make it as simple as it can possibly be made is this, if you think that it might present a problem for your PU to call, then you should chase.

That pretty much hits the nail right on the head.:D

DaveASA/FED Tue Jun 01, 2010 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 (Post 679533)
That pretty much hits the nail right on the head.:D

Not really, depends on how good your plate ump is :eek: They might have trouble calling a routine fly ball!!!

MichaelVA2000 Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 679542)
Not really, depends on how good your plate ump is :eek: They might have trouble calling a routine fly ball!!!

If "they" are having trouble calling routine fly balls, perhaps further training is needed.:eek:

SergioJ Wed Jun 02, 2010 01:52pm

If your state uses NFHS mechanics, and no one chases, then you can find the mechanics on page 65 (no runners on base), page 66 (runner on first base only) and page 67 (runner on third base only) of the NFHS Softball Umpires Manual (2010 and 2011). These would be the times that 1U would start on the line and treat the play as a "Base Hit to Outfield."

Serg