The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys I don't get on here that much but I just wanted to say I have learned a lot by reading and studying these threads and that I just finished my third ASA National in Tupelo MS.. I was honored to have worked with some great umpires and was even more honored by the UIC and worked the plate in the Championship game. Another umpire who is a regular provider to this forum Dukat worked first base in the If game. I think I will apply for the UIF and the gold in the medals program. Life is good!!
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Just got word that the Men's E Slow Pitch National in Johnson City, TN, has been cancelled.

Bummer. I may still get sent to a different National for the same weekend, but no promises. If it happens, wonderful! If not, oh well, better luck next year!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Just got word that the Men's E Slow Pitch National in Johnson City, TN, has been cancelled.

Bummer. I may still get sent to a different National for the same weekend, but no promises. If it happens, wonderful! If not, oh well, better luck next year!
Really? The classification the player's demanded and they cannot get enough teams for a tournament?

That is pitiful.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Really? The classification the player's demanded and they cannot get enough teams for a tournament?

That is pitiful.
I agree, it is pitiful. So far, we only have 35 teams signed up for the Men's "E" Northern. You would think all these rec teams would be chomping at the bit to get into a national tournament for their level of ball.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

That is pitiful.
I surmise a lot of it has to do with one thing: the economy.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or ASA held the line on reclassification. The guy who chairs our Classification Committee reviewed the status of some of the players in our state and sent a request for reclassification of a dozen player or so from C or D to E because the player is no longer with a team at that level.

OKC summarily denied any reduction in class to the E level. This impressed me since that was my fear.

Maybe teams not being permitted automatic drop in classification stymied some trophy-hunting plans.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's wrong with the economy? I guess living in North Dakota has sheltered me from the rest of the country since the economy here is actually flourishing. Anybody need a job? Come to North Dakota, we have plenty.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
What's wrong with the economy? I guess living in North Dakota has sheltered me from the rest of the country since the economy here is actually flourishing. Anybody need a job? Come to North Dakota, we have plenty.
Would I have to start using that silly accent again? Man, I worked so hard at getting rid of it...

Just got a call from my UIC. I'm now being sent to the Senior Men's Slow Pitch National in Burlington, which I have called before. Looking forward to it, as CM is an excellent UIC.

Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
Being that I was stationed at Minot for about 6 years, and started umpiring there, find me a job and I would gladly consider moving back there. I loved it. And being selected to umpire at the McQuade tournament my first year was a great thrill!

And yes Mike, they have plenty of Tabasco there!

Serg
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ View Post
Being that I was stationed at Minot for about 6 years, and started umpiring there, find me a job and I would gladly consider moving back there. I loved it. And being selected to umpire at the McQuade tournament my first year was a great thrill!

And yes Mike, they have plenty of Tabasco there!

Serg
Finding a job is the easy part, they'll find you. Finding housing in western ND, now that's the challenge. The oil boom is huge and it's not going away anytime soon. They've found the largest oil deposit on this side of the planet in western ND/eastern MT.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

what part of the state? I have a brother in the Fargo area. Maybe time to move out there.

Ron
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

The Fargo area isn't ND, that's just an extension of MN that they make us claim! I don't know what the job market in the eastern part of ND is like, all the jobs in the oil field would be found between Dickinson, Williston and Minot in the NW corner of North Dakota.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I worked the ASA Mens FP 40 and Over this past weekend. Only 5 teams, 6 umpires.

All games were three umpire, one on, one off until one of the umpires tweaked a knee and could not continue.

All games were at the same field, which was nice, because our UIC could watch every pitch of every game and provide a complete evaluation.

One of the best National Tournament experiences that I have had.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Andy,

Have you met the criteria now for elite? If so, congrats.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Andy,

Have you met the criteria now for elite? If so, congrats.
Even if this makes the tournament qualification requirement, you cannot know if you met the criteria until you get the evaluation; it must average Excellent in the LAST qualifying tournament to be considered for ASA/USA Elite, is my understanding.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 08:14pm.