The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
The mandatory Bollinger Insurance ASA implemented has caused a drop of many teams around here for championship play.
I'm trying to figure that out since individual registration carried Bollinger Insurance, so why would there be a need to purchase additional insurance. Then again, I don't think it is ASA's business what insurance teams/players have or where they buy it.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'll do several ASA tournaments this summer - but none in district 4 of Pa!
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

ASA is declining in my area. A HUGE td in our area completely dumped his asa tournies and our association to provide the umpires. He basically runs his own little fiefdom of tournaments called "IFA". They are also pretty decent and well run events. They are real deal no matter what they call themselves.

ASA 18G and 18A divisions are decimated by premier. No doubt about that.

I got the ASA 18A in Hemet and some umps have already been dropped due to less teams. So far Im still hanging in there.

Fresno Force, a ASA tournament I've worked for a long time and has always been a top draw tournament in april didnt even require outside umps and for the first time no one from our area was needed to go there.

Not looking good.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 08:55pm.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I'll do several ASA tournaments this summer - but none in district 4 of Pa!
Hey! What's so bad about district 4?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Hey! What's so bad about district 4?
I have nothing good to say about the district 4 commissioner or his yes man uic. And neither has done much good for the game of softball.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Maybe 'cause when it comes down to it....coaches should coach and umires should umpire???
A very uneducated or egotistical quote...... or more than likely- both.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

What fields were they playing? The four at the Community Park on Rose Dr I'm guessing and the other two...at the middle school?
Bingo!

Randy was out of town that weekend. John S. from Vallejo (our area UIC) was on site.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
I umpire as well as coach a team and have zero ASA tournaments on my umpiring schedule and as of this morning am working on pulling out of two tournaments for my team(due to lack of teams signed up for them as well as the above problems) and switching over to another VTD tournament.
Well, since the subject came up, let's address this. AND IT APPLIES TO ALL, not just ASA and not just softball.

Rant on!

Did you ever think that the reason there are a lack of teams for some tournaments is because everyone is thinking the same as you are? Ever think that if the teams would stay put, the tournament wouldn't have a lack of teams?

When it comes down to it, many, if not most, softball teams/clubs/whatever have very little loyalty or dedication to anyone other than their own wallet.

Lots of promises, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, coaches are going to take a team to someplace which will support THEIR carrot, not necessarily the players or parents.

I cannot tell you how many times I've sat in meetings or discussions with teams/leagues/whatever and hear "you need to do this", "you need to do that", "you never have any tournaments", yada, yada, yada. Yet when asked to help with a tournament, you would think their first-born was in jeopardy. What it often comes down to is these "customers" want you to do all the work, secure the fields and umpires, pay all the fees and then, if it is convenient, they may play in the tournament THEY demanded you run. You end up cancelling the tournament, losing a few hundred dollars along the way only to hear the same complaint the following year.

I know this is not all over the place and in some cases not every one in my back yard and probably applies to a small minority.

And that is fine, but it is the teams who have forced the sanctioning bodies to handle the game as a business, yet many do little to support it.

JMO, but many a game has been ruined when people decided to turn it into a "what's in it for me?" business and that applies to the players, coaches and administrators/directors, some commissioners and officials.

Rant off!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 06:54am.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Could not disagree with you more Irish.
The problem here with lack of teams in ASA tournaments is ASA dropping the ball in regards to their tournament software. There are plenty of teams in VTD tournaments around here as their system is much better.
ASA has also rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with their lack of customer service and the number of hoops you have to jump through just to play in their tournaments.
Lets put it this way, if the burger joint on the corner that has been in business forever- ups their prices, changes their menu, treats you like crap when you go in, never answers their phone you are going to look at what is going on with the new burger joint on the other corner and when your first meal is good and the service is good you are going back next time you need a burger.

As far as this carrot you are talking about not sure where that comes from. Having a team is expensive the only revenue coming in is from player fees. Not many sponsors running around these days.

I can only speak to how I schedule tournaments. I send out a conflict sheet to team at the beginning of each season and then check out holidays. Now I have narrowed it down to which weekends we can play and then schedule from there. It has become much harder to do because of the ASA issues in our area. So if it is two weeks out from a tournament and there are only one or two teams signed up I have to look elsewhere or I am going to have to big of a gap in the schedule.

The only time money becomes involved is if there are two tournaments the same weekend and one is less expensive and offers more games.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, since the subject came up, let's address this. AND IT APPLIES TO ALL, not just ASA and not just softball.
Without quoting your whole post.

It appears that participation is down, no matter what affiliation the tournament is sponsored by. The economy, over saturation of 'select teams' (which may have contributed to lost interest), over saturation of tournaments have contributed to this. I think it would be fair to say that registration is down in all organizations. Over the decades, I have seen these things run in cycles. I remember back in the 80s with the emergence of 'youth soccer' many of the chicken little's were alarmed and saying that this was 'beginning of the end' to softball. 30 years later, we are still around.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
Could not disagree with you more Irish.
Let me think about that one........

Quote:
The problem here with lack of teams in ASA tournaments is ASA dropping the ball in regards to their tournament software. There are plenty of teams in VTD tournaments around here as their system is much better.
ASA has also rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with their lack of customer service and the number of hoops you have to jump through just to play in their tournaments.
And VTD, while I sympathized with their disposition and the manner it was done, are part of my point. VTD is in business. The don't give any more a concern about your or your DDs than the next guy. Allen is a nice guy, but my personal interaction with him and his software was about the same as it is with ASA and I'm not happy with them, either.

Quote:
Lets put it this way, if the burger joint on the corner that has been in business forever- ups their prices, changes their menu, treats you like crap when you go in, never answers their phone you are going to look at what is going on with the new burger joint on the other corner and when your first meal is good and the service is good you are going back next time you need a burger.
And if the burger joint was being sued by everyone from the parents of a girl because she didn't make the national team to every back-alley lawyer who sees a financial opportunity with every injury, they wouldn't have much of a choice than to be extremely cautious in the manner in which business was conducted and increase revenue to cover increased costs. AFA customer service, I don't have a problem on my end. I pick up a phone and get an answer. May not be the specific one I'm seeking, but it isn't a problem. I suspect you are judging ASA based on the local association. I'm not.

Quote:
As far as this carrot you are talking about not sure where that comes from. Having a team is expensive the only revenue coming in is from player fees. Not many sponsors running around these days.
You really don't know what the carrot is? Obviously, you are not one of the folks to which I am referring.

Quote:
I can only speak to how I schedule tournaments. I send out a conflict sheet to team at the beginning of each season and then check out holidays. Now I have narrowed it down to which weekends we can play and then schedule from there. It has become much harder to do because of the ASA issues in our area. So if it is two weeks out from a tournament and there are only one or two teams signed up I have to look elsewhere or I am going to have to big of a gap in the schedule.

The only time money becomes involved is if there are two tournaments the same weekend and one is less expensive and offers more games.
Again, I went out of my way to state my post was relatively generic, yet you seem to respond in a personal fashion. It was not directed at you, but there are three sides to every story. Many people really have no idea what local associations have to endure. There are good and bad, but every time I invite any of the habitual complainers who always have a better idea to get involved or even just show up at a meeting to vent, there is no response, but the whine keeps on coming.

I know there are organizations which are just the opposite, but I can tell you as a matter of fact, most go out of their way to make reasonable accommodations for the many concerns. Unfortunately, too may people think that isn't true if they don't get what THEY want, yet will never stop long enough to stop and have a reasonable discussion.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

At the end of this month, I'll be working the world's largest 3 day SP tournament and there's more teams coming this year, than any other year in the past. Last I heard, 475 teams have entered compared to last years record of 437. It's an ASA sanctioned tournament.

All we have is ASA in North Dakota for SP and FP except high school (they do use the ASA ruleset but umpires wear blank shirts/hats).
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'm happy there is one more ASA tourney this year than last year, in this area.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

We have a lot of ASA Tournaments in the Houston Area, no problems here.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 10:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
We have a lot of ASA Tournaments in the Houston Area, no problems here.
How does umpire registration work here? From what I understand, I live in the Texas ASA Association territory. Would I be able to work tournaments in Houston Metro ASA also?