The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Please help settle a dispute (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58176-please-help-settle-dispute.html)

argodad Sat May 22, 2010 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Robertson (Post 677991)
Thanks for all the comments so far--and their unanimity.

Softball Canada's rules are pretty much the same rules used in international competition--and yes, some of the dimensions of the diamond and equipment are listed in metric!

I haven't visited this website in nearly two years. Can someone please tell me what the abbreviation OOO means? (I'm guessing two of the Os stand for "over-officiating.")

Good guess. And the middle "O" is for officious. ;)

HugoTafurst Sun May 23, 2010 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 678071)
Good guess. And the middle "O" is for officious. ;)

Redundant......................................... ..................................
but true!:D:D

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 23, 2010 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 678166)
Redundant......................................... ..................................
but true!:D:D

You can say that again!

vcblue Sun May 23, 2010 08:21pm

"At the end of the inning she wanted to put the substitute for the third baseman back into the game in another spot. I said, "No. Only your starters may re-enter the game." I informed the coach her substitute's game was now over".

What rule set were you using. Most rule sets I know allow everyone to enter the game twice. Provided they are reentered into the same sport in the batting order.

AtlUmpSteve Sun May 23, 2010 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 678194)
"At the end of the inning she wanted to put the substitute for the third baseman back into the game in another spot. I said, "No. Only your starters may re-enter the game." I informed the coach her substitute's game was now over".

What rule set were you using. Most rule sets I know allow everyone to enter the game twice. Provided they are reentered into the same sport in the batting order.

He did say "Softball Canada", and rules similar to international play (ISF).

John Robertson Sun May 23, 2010 10:43pm

Softball Canada rules were used--where only the starters may re-enter.

The coach (who would never be mistaken for Sparky Anderson, Joe Torre or Casey Stengel) didn't dispute the substitution rule once she found out what it was. She was simply annoyed that I didn't tell her about it in advance. Same thing when she was oblivious about the charged conference rule.

Silly me: I thought umpires were supposed to enforce the rules and the coaches were supposed to teach the rules to their players.

The umpires who worked this team's next game said the coach admitted during the ground rules that she was "totally clueless about book rules" and wouldn't make any further managerial moves without asking what the implications were.

surf24 Mon May 24, 2010 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 677957)
I agree. But hey, isn't that kind of the norm? :D

And btw... Welcome to the forum! Glad you finally found the place. :)

Thank you. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 677974)
Which is why in had the word "MAY" in all caps. ;)

LOL........as an official I am continually disappointed with how poorly tournament directors communicate with coaches and managers. I mean, they most likely say the SAME thing to everyone or send out the same info, however based upon "tournament experience" each coach interprets that info differently it seems.