Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal ball question

Reposted from SBFans.

Quote:
We played a team in a u-trip men's (Hit your own ball) league tonight who used an elite distance ball for the entire game until they finally hit one to me and i looked at the ball and called in the umpire. The umpire then walked over to the other team and requested a classic m like it says in the league bylaws and then continued the game. i asked for the ruling and they said there was none. after a quick run through of the rule book, there was nothing i could find right away that showed the penalty for use of an illegal ball. I know for a fact they used this ball the entire game, as we kept it between innings. What is the ruling?
Yes, the correct thing is for the ump to approve every ball that is thrown in...... but what do you do when one sneaks in?

I would rule the same as an illegal bat. Batter is out and all runners return.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good question. The only rule that directly pertains to this in ASA has to do with coed play, as the rules assume that the umpire is the one checking to make sure the softballs used are legal. As far as I'm aware, the rule book has no direct remedy for this.

Always, always, ALWAYS check the softballs as they come into the game. I still see guys trying to toss a .47 COR into the game now and then, despite my reputation for being "that umpire who always checks 'em like we're cheating."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.