The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Boo

Looking for confirmation on a Batting Out of Order question-
(I apologize in advance if this topic has already been beaten to death in a previous thread)

(ASA Rule set)
B1 is scheduled to bat with no one out. B4 bats and is put out. Defensive coach properly appeals the batting out of order. B1 is called out for failing to bat and the out on B4 stands. (2 outs) Next proper batter is B2. B2 & B3 both single. The question is - does B4 now bat? (even though she has already been put out in the earlier play)

I would rule that B4 does come to bat in this case.
And that the only way you would "skip" a batter is if the improper batter was called out as a result of their time at bat and they are scheduled to be the immediate next proper batter.

Any thoughts or comments?

Last edited by Zepp; Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 07:19am.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

B4 would be the proper batter in your circumstance.

For ASA and NSA, you would have two outs after the proper appeal of BOO. For NFHS, you would only have one out for B1. For all three rule sets, you would not skip a batter even if an improper batter who just made an out is due up next. The exception would be for ASA, if the improper batter made an out for the third out of an inning, then the following batter would be the first batter in the next inning.

Ah, I see you added your rule set in the time I spent typing this.

Last edited by BlitzkriegBob; Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 07:25am. Reason: Explaining why I added NSA and NFHS rulings
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
And that the only way you would "skip" a batter is if the improper batter was called out as a result of their time at bat and they are scheduled to be the immediate next proper batter.
You were fine until this last sentence. The next proper batter in this case would still be the next proper batter.

The only time you skip in the batting order is if the proper batter is on base as a result of a BOO that has been validated by a failure to appeal at the correct time.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I think what he is trying to say is if B3 was suppose to bat, but B4 bats and is out as a result of the play, and if appealed in time then you would have 2 outs on the play. B4 would remain out as a result of the play, B3 would be out for not batting and the next batter would be B5 (speaking ASA, I found out in a meeting the other day that NFHS is different in this case). This is not actually being skipped, since they have a record of having batted in that inning. I also agree with your point, if a batter is on base when their point in the lineup comes up then they are skipped with no penalty, again this is really the only time they are skipped in the order.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
(ASA Rule set)
B1 is scheduled to bat with no one out. B4 bats and is put out. Defensive coach properly appeals the batting out of order. B1 is called out for failing to bat and the out on B4 stands. (2 outs) Next proper batter is B2. B2 & B3 both single. The question is - does B4 now bat? (even though she has already been put out in the earlier play)

I would rule that B4 does come to bat in this case.

Any thoughts or comments?
I'm going along the lines that a player who was put out is going to be skipped this time through the batting order. The exception would be if the BOO was the 3rd out of the inning, then the player which was retired on the BOO play would bat in the next inning.

Pretty sure I heard KR make this statement at a regional clinic and I'm going to reference the Rules Clarification from May 2007

Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

Pretty sure part of the train of thought is that the player cannot make multiple outs in the same inning without at least 7-8 batters between those two at bats.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm going along the lines that a player who was put out is going to be skipped this time through the batting order. The exception would be if the BOO was the 3rd out of the inning, then the player which was retired on the BOO play would bat in the next inning.

Pretty sure I heard KR make this statement at a regional clinic and I'm going to reference the Rules Clarification from May 2007

Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

Pretty sure part of the train of thought is that the player cannot make multiple outs in the same inning without at least 7-8 batters between those two at bats.
Ignoring that the third out exception is illogical, the clarification says "if the batter who is (was?) scheduled to bat is the third out of the inning, the correct batter to leadoff the next inning is the player who would have come to bat had the player been put out by ordinary play". That seems different than "the player which was retired on the BOO play "; which implies the put out of the incorrect batter.

Of course, the reason NFHS and others differ here is that ASA retains the incorrect batter out and the others do not.