The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Weird

I've worked three games in the last two days. All three were varsity games. On Thursday I was behind the plate in a blowout, 22-0. At least the home team won and their league has a mercy rule, so we only played 4 1/2 innings.

I had two tournament games yesterday. 1-0 (bases) & 4-2 (plate).

The weird part? Thursday's game was over in 1:05. Both Saturday games took and hour and a half.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
I've worked three games in the last two days. All three were varsity games. On Thursday I was behind the plate in a blowout, 22-0. At least the home team won and their league has a mercy rule, so we only played 4 1/2 innings.

The weird part? Thursday's game was over in 1:05. Both Saturday games took and hour and a half.
Maybe you should try starting with a 1-1 count
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post

I wish I could get some of those. I worked three games in a row last week that were 2:00, 2:57, and 2:20 respectively. Those are just waaayy too long.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Most of my games lately seem to sail along until about the 4th or 5th inning...then all hell breaks loose and a team scores 6 runs with 4 errors and 3 walks and two pitching changes and ......

Case in point....1-0 game going into the 5th inning, about 45 min in up to this point....game goes to ITB at 2-2, still in good shape, about 1:20 to this point...game ends after 9 innings, final score 11 - 8 visitors, 2:45 game time....
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I wish I could get some of those. I worked three games in a row last week that were 2:00, 2:57, and 2:20 respectively. Those are just waaayy too long.

What are you guys doing if it takes that long for a game.
I would be pi&&&&ed off if I had a game that lasted that long.
Time management,
Hustlle em on the the field and get to pitching.

Even at a Nat, where things were a little more loose, we didn't take that long.

Game management is just as important as safe out.
Remember, you only get paid for the outs you call!
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Had the plate in a game tonight where the HS's did not adopt the ITB. Home team won it in the bottom of the 9th. Game was completed in 90 minutes.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
What are you guys doing if it takes that long for a game.
I would be pi&&&&ed off if I had a game that lasted that long.
Time management,
Hustlle em on the the field and get to pitching.

Even at a Nat, where things were a little more loose, we didn't take that long.

Game management is just as important as safe out.
Remember, you only get paid for the outs you call!
Well....I typed this once, and apparently Official Forum lost it while I was talking to a hot co-worker.

Anyway. game management is not the issue here, Scott. Far from it. There were multiple times in all of these games where nary a single warm up pitch was thrown because of lolly gagging. From the umpire perspective, we did everything in our power (except cheat) to keep the games moving. Case in point, last night.

Heading into the top of the fifth, it seemed like we were heading to a mercy rule game and a reasonably early evening with a 12-0 score, when the hometeam, through hits, errors...etc. decided they would give up six runs. Then, in the bottom of the fifth, home team answered with only three rather than the needed 4 runs. This inning probably added an additional 30 minutes to the game by itself. Sixth inning, more of the same, multiple runners on by both teams, long counts on nearly every batter, two runners thrown out at home and another on third. It just got real ugly real quick. This is the way my games have been going. I would be willing to bet you that the last three innings added at least, if not over, an hour to the game. Last night's total game time? 2:20. Again!

Every one of the games I mentioned in that previous post have been running smoothly through at least the first three innings. Then it seems all hell breaks loose!

Please....tell me in your wisdom....just how do you "game manage" that? Remember, this ain't my first rodeo. I had one varsity game a few years ago that was done in :57 minutes, a complete 7 inning game. (Well...6.5. The home team won by 1). I have done complete college double headers where the total time on the field is less than 2:30. There are, though, some things that just cannot be managed!

Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Well....I typed this once, and apparently Official Forum lost it while I was talking to a hot co-worker.

Anyway. game management is not the issue here, Scott. Far from it. There were multiple times in all of these games where nary a single warm up pitch was thrown because of lolly gagging. From the umpire perspective, we did everything in our power (except cheat) to keep the games moving. Case in point, last night.

Heading into the top of the fifth, it seemed like we were heading to a mercy rule game and a reasonably early evening with a 12-0 score, when the hometeam, through hits, errors...etc. decided they would give up six runs. Then, in the bottom of the fifth, home team answered with only three rather than the needed 4 runs. This inning probably added an additional 30 minutes to the game by itself. Sixth inning, more of the same, multiple runners on by both teams, long counts on nearly every batter, two runners thrown out at home and another on third. It just got real ugly real quick. This is the way my games have been going. I would be willing to bet you that the last three innings added at least, if not over, an hour to the game. Last night's total game time? 2:20. Again!

Every one of the games I mentioned in that previous post have been running smoothly through at least the first three innings. Then it seems all hell breaks loose!

Please....tell me in your wisdom....just how do you "game manage" that? Remember, this ain't my first rodeo. I had one varsity game a few years ago that was done in :57 minutes, a complete 7 inning game. (Well...6.5. The home team won by 1). I have done complete college double headers where the total time on the field is less than 2:30. There are, though, some things that just cannot be managed!

Ok, I realize after reading my post that I sounded somewhat derisive.
I am sorry about that misrepresentation of what I was thinking.
I have to get this this thinking/typing thing to sync up more.

I have had the same type thing happen to me. I once had a last of the night game start on time and end at 1:30am.
That happened even with the ITB in effect. Trust me, my partners and the whole umpire crew at that Nat gave me fits and I bought a lot of the drinks for the remainder of the touney.

I was trying to be funny/smarta&& because I do know who you are and how long you have been working etc etc.
I have been off the boards a lot since I became ill, mostly because I know I most likely never be able to work another game.

Please accept my aplogy and have fun out there.

This does not mean that I won't poke fun at you guys in the future.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was trying to be funny/smarta&& because I do know who you are and how long you have been working etc etc.
So was I, but apparently my tongue in cheek sarcasm is failing to come through in my typing!

Quote:
Please accept my aplogy and have fun out there.
See my comment above. You should know, then, that absolutely no apology is needed since no offense was taken.

Quote:
This does not mean that I won't poke fun at you guys in the future.

I am sure you will, as will every one else to everyone else!

Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Most of my games lately seem to sail along until about the 4th or 5th inning...then all hell breaks loose....
That's exactly hat happened in the 4-2 game I mentioned in the OP. 5 innings complete in just over 45 minutes...then another 40+ minutes to play an inning and a half.