The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Confused again - batting gloves in pocket (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57624-confused-again-batting-gloves-pocket.html)

HugoTafurst Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:35am

Confused again - batting gloves in pocket

I have to admit, I get confused sometimes with certain "rules", "rulings" and "local myths".

Where, if anywhere, is there written guidance prohibiting a fielder (or runner, I guess) from playing with a batting glove showing in her back pocket.
Likewise, I guess, is there written guidance regarding the current fad of having a back pocket hanging out?

I'm pretty sure NCAA has some comments - going to look that up now, but just was breezing thru NFHS and can't find anything.

FWIW, I hope I don't, I rally don't see what it has to do with the game - but I don't care about shirt tails either...
I still like to do what I am supposed to do.

MNBlue Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38am

That is a rule for NCAA softball.

HugoTafurst Mon Mar 22, 2010 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 669708)
That is rule for NCAA softball.

(edited to completely change my response to your response. I had completely mis-read your response - got to remember to wake up and have coffee before reading and typing)

Thanks and thanks to AZ below for pinting me to the written rule.

Az.Ump Mon Mar 22, 2010 07:16am

NCAA 2010

3.1.2 Institutions are responsible for ensuring that the equipment used
in competition meets the prescribed industry standards of safety and
legality. Coaches are responsible for ensuring that their players are
legally equipped and properly attired to reflect a positive image of the
game. Uniforms, accessories and equipment (including batting gloves
that must be worn, carried in the hands or put out of sight in pockets)
must be worn properly and as designed. Exception: Sunglasses may
be worn as desired. Defective equipment must be repaired or replaced
immediately.

Paul

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40pm

While there may be no specific written rule against the back pocket itself hanging out, and it is a nit I would hardly care to pick, I think we can agree that the pocket wasn't designed to hang out, therefore it isn't being worn properly.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 22, 2010 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 669845)
While there may be no specific written rule against the back pocket itself hanging out, and it is a nit I would hardly care to pick, I think we can agree that the pocket wasn't designed to hang out, therefore it isn't being worn properly.

Wouldn't that depend on the age of the wearer and cultural surroundings and what makes one look cool? Stupid, but cool :rolleyes:

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 22, 2010 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 669948)
Wouldn't that depend on the age of the wearer and cultural surroundings and what makes one look cool? Stupid, but cool :rolleyes:

I don't attribute any of those factors to the design of the manufacturer. Any more than I believe cap manufacturers design cap brims to shade the back of one's neck if one believes one is appropriately cool.

Now, the outrage over NCAA telling runners they couldn't carry batting gloves caused some manufacturers to add the phrase "can be carried to minimize injuries while running bases", forcing NCAA to back off that particular nit. Maybe they will now add "can be hanging out of pockets to upgrade the player's coolness factor" as an intended and designed feature.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Mar 22, 2010 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 669845)

Well, maybe that back pocket flappin' out there in the breeze could be a likely target for a swipe tag and an out.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 22, 2010 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 669992)
Well, maybe that back pocket flappin' out there in the breeze could be a likely target for a swipe tag and an out.

One can only hope so.

Of course, that would probably lead to another NCAA rule, if it went against someone with any pull.

SC Ump Mon Mar 22, 2010 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 669992)

I'm I imagining correctly that you've told a coach on occasion, "Sure she tagged her; got her right on the improperly untucked shirttail."

CelticNHBlue Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10pm

Actually, the derivation of the rule came about because a glove was hanging out of the back pocket and became dislodged during a slide. The play continued and at a later point in the play, the ball came into contact with the dislodged glove and the blocked ball argument began.

Yes, the rule is reactionary, what can we do when the coaches are in charge of making and changing rules.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 23, 2010 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue (Post 670113)
Actually, the derivation of the rule came about because a glove was hanging out of the back pocket and became dislodged during a slide. The play continued and at a later point in the play, the ball came into contact with the dislodged glove and the blocked ball argument began.

Hence the reason changes should be tempered with common sense.

What happens if her glasses fall off and is hit by the ball?

youngump Tue Mar 23, 2010 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 670190)
What happens if her glasses fall off and is hit by the ball?

:cool: The rules refer to detached equipment used in the game. So if they are eyeglasses they are fine, if they are sunglasses you have to make a judgment as to whether the sun would have been in her eyes before ruling. :D
________
Vaporizers Info

Rich Ives Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 670198)
:cool: The rules refer to detached equipment used in the game. So if they are eyeglasses they are fine, if they are sunglasses you have to make a judgment as to whether the sun would have been in her eyes before ruling. :D

OK so sunglasses may or may not be OK but how about if the earrings clash with the headband? Isn't that a distraction of some type? :D

Andy Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 670231)
OK so sunglasses may or may not be OK but how about if the earrings clash with the headband? Isn't that a distraction of some type? :D

...or the studs in the nose, or the lip rings, or the.....