The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question Question from Nebraska about plate shoes since it's slow here

I know it has been brought up many times before, but now it affects me, since it is time to retire my plate shoes. What brand and type of plate shoes do you like and recommend? Dave
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

For my money, this is the best value on the market.

Inhouse Sports
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
For my money, this is the best value on the market.

Inhouse Sports

Steve, how well do those hold up for you? I have always used the Riddell Arbiter, and when they quit making them and everyone put them on sale, I bought three pairs of them. However, now I am into the last pair, and need to find something.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I work an average of 200+ games per year, so assume 100 plate games. They have lasted 2 + years per pair. I have actually worn out the treads before any part of the shoe significantly failed.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

How do they hold up against Bubba stepping on your foot?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Metal cleats of catchers stepping back have cut the surface, but I have been able to reasonably mend that so that they still look serviceable. I have not had any negative evaluations nor feedback on the look from multiple evaluators in several levels.

They are really light weight, the padded midtops have deflected several balls that would have really hurt the balls of my ankles; and the seller doesn't charge tax nor any shipping charges. That price is THE price.

Didn't love his base shoes as much. Still a good price, but not as great a value as the plate shoes. They aren't as comfortable (but not uncomfortable, either), and require a lot more upkeep and polishing to maintain a shine, compared to the plate shoes. The plate shoes really hold a good paste wax shine, and you can wipe them off, and go again multiple times before needing to repolish.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

spotbilts are cheap on the ASA's umpire gear website right now. these have been discontinued since spotbilt went outa business, and ASA musta purchased up the remaining stock.

ASA Properties, Inc.

on another forum, one poster mentioned that he had problems with these shoes at the toes, and mentioned that the toes must be plastic capped instead of steel. I really know what material the toe is made of, but the toe on the shoe is harder than the plastic on my chest protector.

NFHS Forum: Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I know it has been brought up many times before, but now it affects me, since it is time to retire my plate shoes. What brand and type of plate shoes do you like and recommend? Dave

Last edited by shagpal; Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 04:01pm.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I used the Protector for a few years (on AtlUmpSteve's recommendation) as well.

Lightweight, good protection, held a shine well, I did have to take them into a shoe repair shop once to get the side seams re-done, other than that, the tread wore out quicker than the rest of the shoe. Lasted a good two+ years for me as well and I do games year round.

My only caution is the supplier...to the best of my knowledge, he is a one man show and is sometimes away from the business for an extended period. I have heard stories on these and other boards of orders taking several weeks to fill.

I purchased new plate shoes last summer and went with the New Balance plate shoe. Very comfortable and light, keeps a decent shine right out of the box. The only issue may be the big, white "N" logo on the side of the shoe. My local UIC at the time told me that as long as some attempt was made to darken it, (sharpie, shoe polish, etc) he wouldn't say anything. I was then told by an NUS member at my national last year that if ASA sells it, we could wear it as is.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The only issue may be the big, white "N" logo on the side of the shoe. My local UIC at the time told me that as long as some attempt was made to darken it, (sharpie, shoe polish, etc) he wouldn't say anything. I was then told by an NUS member at my national last year that if ASA sells it, we could wear it as is.
It is my experience, including one-on-one conversations with many of the NUS, that the huge majority agree with your local UIC, not what you were told by that one at the National.

Same for NCAA SUIP; they absolutely do not want us out there advertising anyone or anything. Their CCA manual stipulates their preference for uniform and equipment items to be without logo's.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I purchased new plate shoes last summer and went with the New Balance plate shoe. Very comfortable and light, keeps a decent shine right out of the box. The only issue may be the big, white "N" logo on the side of the shoe. My local UIC at the time told me that as long as some attempt was made to darken it, (sharpie, shoe polish, etc) he wouldn't say anything. I was then told by an NUS member at my national last year that if ASA sells it, we could wear it as is.
I don't know what deal Honig's made with New Balance, but they sold the 350s with a black "N" on the side. I never found any other vendor who had that option.

Even better, they were cheaper than everywhere else I looked! And believe you me, I can LOOK.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was then told by an NUS member at my national last year that if ASA sells it, we could wear it as is.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, but I have heard it before from umpires.

ASA merchandise is in the business of making money. If providing umpires with something they can use will help, they will sell it whether approved equipment or not.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sort of like getting tax advice from the IRS: Even if they're wrong, the error (and any penalties thereby accrued) are still your responsibility.

You can buy whatever ASA sells, but having your uniform compliant with ASA rules is your responsibility.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of ASA properties... (hijack alert)

What's with the new gray ASA ball bag on OfficialGear?

Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Speaking of ASA properties... (hijack alert)

What's with the new gray ASA ball bag on OfficialGear?
It's about time...

Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I purchased new plate shoes last summer and went with the New Balance plate shoe. Very comfortable and light, keeps a decent shine right out of the box. The only issue may be the big, white "N" logo on the side of the shoe.
I got these last year and I love them. I painted over the logos on mine with some model car paint as suggested by a guy on the baseball forum. For me the little bit of extra work was worth it because these shoes are so comfortable for me.

Also, the Reebok plate shoe has been well received on the baseball side as well, and this year it comes in a solid black version that will be much easier to black out.