The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

RefPay

Our State HS association has contracted with several school districts to use RefPay to distribute our game fees this season.

Our commissioner gave a presentation at our recent meeting. If everything works correctly, it doesn't seem like it will be an issue.

Is anybody else on the board paid through this method and how has it worked for you?
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It seems to work ok, although there is an extra time lag for them to clear the funds ( the banking 3 - 7 business days). We were warned not to sign up for the credit cards, etc, that they offer, but I don't know why.
Personally, I'm not using the direct deposit until I see if anyone has any problem with it or any identity exposure; even though it costs me 3.00 per check.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
....even though it costs me 3.00 per check.

That right there would be reason enough for me to be against RefPay. I should be able to be paid however I choose without any penalty at all. It is my money, I have earned it. Why should I pay someone else just for being the middle man, the handler so to speak? Let the schools who wish to use it pay for the service....not me!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have had reasonably good experiences with Refpay.

I don't choose to pay that way; not because of the 3-4 day time lag (which I see as similar to printing checks, mailing them, and the recipients depositing), but because I want a payroll system I can manipulate prior to 1099's. My call.

The other issue relates to my payees. The system allows one free transfer per month; I absorbed a group used to pay every two weeks. I do payroll twice a month, and that would initiate a fee that my umpires would have to pay for the 2nd each month.

The flip is I have a few NCAA groups that pay that way. Instead of a direct deposit, I treat it like Paypal, as I know the money is good. I can make one free transfer a month, which works for me. If I want more than that, I pay; but my decision.

Overall, I find it better than waiting for each coordinator to write, and then mail a check. Already at the whim of someone; I know the money is good when it appears. Better than most.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

126 W Sego Lily Drive Suite #190
Sandy, UT 84070
Dear RefPay user,
Thank you for using the RefPay Payment Network for processing payments. RefPay has grown significantly over the last year and we appreciate your patronage and feedback.

Beginning in 2010 we will be instituting two significant policy changes to better serve our clients and to address what have been the most common requests from both paying administrators and officials. These requests include:
1) Shorten the wait-period for funds to become available to paying administrators
2) Eliminate transaction fees beyond the one complimentary monthly transfer for officials

We feel that by addressing these issues our clients will have an easier time transitioning to RefPay and it will be even more enthusiastically received by officials.

So, beginning January 1, 2010, the wait-period for funds to become available will be shortened from five business days to three and officials will no longer be charged for Electronic Funds Transfers to their bank accounts, regardless of the frequency.
Each official will be notified through their RefPay account of these changes. For a nominal fee, Officials will also have the option to upgrade their RefPay account so that payments are automatically deposited into their bank accounts or sent by check without having to login and manually request a funds transfer.

In order to financially accommodate these changes, RefPay is instituting a transaction fee for RefPay payments. Transaction fees will be based on the amount of the payment. Nearly all payments will fall in the $.54 to $.90 range – similar to the combined cost of a stamp, check and envelope. A complete fee chart can be found on the new updated RefPay website http://www.refpay.com/transactioncosts.html . Transaction fees will be automatically deducted as part of each payment, requiring no change to how you currently use the system.

RefPay will also be eliminating the Minor Account designations immediately due to the difficulty in verifying dates of birth.

Because many of you are currently in the midst of a season, payments to officials will continue to be free through March 31st, 2010. If for any reason you feel these new policy changes may not work for your organization, you can withdraw your funds at any time and use other methods for paying officials. However, we are certain that with these new changes, even with the minimal transaction fees, RefPay continues to be the most cost effective and painless method for paying officials.

Thank you again for using RefPay and we look forward to a great 2010.
Best Regards,
Daren Jackson
VP of RefPay Sales & Operations

Last edited by CecilOne; Sun Jan 10, 2010 at 12:19pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
In this part of NE Ohio, I know of no one who uses RefPay. 99% of schools just mail us a check from their athletic account. Some pay in a day or two, some longer.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I see no good reason to pay an outside concern to handle your money.

I know it is "easier" for some, but I'm just not a fan of it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:28pm

We still get paid for HS games the old fashioned way around here: a check handed to you by the coach or AD prior to the first pitch.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
We still get paid for HS games the old fashioned way around here: a check handed to you by the coach or AD prior to the first pitch.
As we did up until now...we have been told that it is a tax code issue.

Sports officials are considered vendors providing a service to the schools..it is illegal to pay a vendor prior to services being rendered.

Not sure I buy it, but haven't had time to research it.

According to our commissioner, our association negotiated hard with RefPay to make sure there would be no additional cost to the officials to get their money (not including the fee to cut and mail a check). However, upon seeing Cecil's post, it looks like RefPay was going to do that anyway...hmmm....
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
According to our commissioner, our association negotiated hard with RefPay to make sure there would be no additional cost to the officials to get their money (not including the fee to cut and mail a check). However, upon seeing Cecil's post, it looks like RefPay was going to do that anyway...hmmm....
In order to financially accommodate these changes, RefPay is instituting a transaction fee for RefPay payments. Transaction fees will be based on the amount of the payment. Nearly all payments will fall in the $.54 to $.90 range – similar to the combined cost of a stamp, check and envelope. A complete fee chart can be found on the new updated RefPay website RefPay.com ? Part of the NCAA Spectrum . Transaction fees will be automatically deducted as part of each payment, requiring no change to how you currently use the system.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As we did up until now...we have been told that it is a tax code issue.

Sports officials are considered vendors providing a service to the schools..it is illegal to pay a vendor prior to services being rendered.

Not sure I buy it, but haven't had time to research it.

As I have stated, and as was echoed by Mike, I see no reason at all to pay a middle man to handle the money. I think if my organization went over to this, I would let them know that they could issue me a check and then get their money from RefPay.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Gotta love how its done here - school games are assigned by and our money comes from the local BOCES - a school co-op that centralizes things like vo-tech training, supply management, etc for the local districts. A while back they established an athletic office, which started out only as an assigning office, but as time went on, and more and more schools started getting slow on paying, took on the payments as well. The process works like this:

About four months prior to your season, you receive an availability sheet - once it was paper, but just this year, they switched to an email with a Word form. You return that to them, and then your receive your initial assignments in early March. After you get those, any turnbacks they get are assigned via email notices, which you approve online. The only time they call you, is in case immediate cancellations or openings. Your schedule is always available online, and you can turn back games up to two days prior to the scheduled game.

When a calendar month is over, the next business day your paysheet is available online, and you then print it, and either fax it or send back as an email attachment, or even snail mail...if you really want. Our general experience has been, if you email or fax it, you get your check in 15-20 business days.....depending how your paysheet hits their process.

The best thing about all of this, is of course, Is that there are ZERO assignor fees involved. The people in the office ae real nice, also - especially if you are a veteran who they know is flexible, and will take a change at the last minute! And these people are real good dealing with schools complaining and stuff, also - they assign pretty much solely based on level and availablility, and there VERY rarely problems with coaches. On the politics sides, of a 1-10, with 10 being totally corrupt and totally kowtowing to the schools, I would have to rate this organozation about a 3.

I will admit to some of you, the process seems a bit drawn out, but it is guaranteed, there is no monkey business with waiting for schools to pay (we do have a small Christian school that does not go thru the BOCES pay system, and boy is it a pain to get them to pay!), and it real nice to get a check that sometimes has 20 games worth of fees on it!