The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

A question of liability

I was working an adult coed league on Sunday evening. In the later stages of the second game, a young lady came to bat. At first glance, the batter appeared to be about 13 years old. I thought this was a bit odd. Remember, this is an adult league - there are grown men that can hit the ball playing in the game.

OK...so I had a quick debate with myself. Do I let her play? It's an ASA sanctioned league. The teams are ASA registered teams. I am an ASA registered umpire. I can't think of any rules (ASA or local) that would support not letting her bat, so she plays....still, against my better judgement. The batter grounded out to end the inning.

Next, I go to the manager. I ask how old she is, am told she's 16 and that the team has received "special permision" from the recreation department, allowing her to participate. If she's 16, she's the youngest 16 of all time. Anyway, while the "16/special permission" story sounds fishy, I figure that I'm covered from a liability standpoint. When I got home, I called my scheduler to make sure he is aware of the issue.

My questions: Did I do the right thing? Is the umpire covered liability-wise?
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I think you've done a lot! If the teams have "player-cards", you could have checked her card. On a player-card must be the name, photo, date of birth and the team the holder is entiteled to play for. Normally the team manager has the cards for his (m/f) team...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

While I understand your concern for everyone's safety (especially that of a minor), I think you've done everything possible and then some. The issue at hand is an eligibility issue. Is she eligible to play on that team? Well, we all know how those questions are handled.

If a coach misrepresents a player's eligibility, I would say that the liability would fall upon the coach, not on the umpire, should that player be involved in an injury.

And hey, having worked in a school district... There are some 13-year olds that look like they're 20, and some 20-year olds that look like they're 13. Appearances can be deceiving. Just chalk it up to that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:43am
Ref Ump Welsch

In our leagues here (Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area), we don't have cards or anything. Our directive has been we don't question the players' eligibility, that onus is on the managers.

I know I've had a couple young ladies who looked a very young 16, but were "eligible" according to their managers. Come to find out, they were actually rostered and a couple of teams had their protests denied because they thought those ladies were ineligible.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Not your problem... why would you care?.. and you'd be covered if they let a 4 year old play shallow F5 - as long as the event is sanctioned.

If its a league issue, it was probably appropriate to let them know.