The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New rules learned in fall ball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54802-new-rules-learned-fall-ball.html)

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 628248)
Sounds like this was in men's leagues? I've had this crapola line in coed wreck.

Yep. I even heard this at the Nationals. Twice.

RKBUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33am

One of the guys I work with told me he had a coach arguing for a left handed batter/slapper to be called out for a fouled 3rd strike bunt on a check swing. Very next pitch the girl did the exact same thing except this time the ball bounced off the left center fence for a double.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 628203)
The one I've been hearing lately is when the batter hits a quick chip shot 50 feet into the outfield, "that's not a legal swing, blue! His wrists are supposed to break when he swings! It's in the book!"

First time I heard that, I seriously thought the player was smoking crack. WTF is he even babbling about? And then I heard it again on another field, different team, a couple of weeks later. "He's gotta break his wrists when he swings, blue! It's in the book!"

What did you have, a couple bored EMTs looking for something to do?:D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 628255)
One of the guys I work with told me he had a coach arguing for a left handed batter/slapper to be called out for a fouled 3rd strike bunt on a check swing. Very next pitch the girl did the exact same thing except this time the ball bounced off the left center fence for a double.

What about a right handed batter? :rolleyes:What appears to be a check swing "could" be a bunt, but I certainly wouldn't expect it or go looking for it.

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 628257)
What did you have, a couple bored EMTs looking for something to do?:D

Not that kind of wrist break. ;)

BretMan Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:13pm

Heard in the past week alone:

- Close play at plate. Ball, runner and catcher all get there about the same time. Runner stays upright, sticks a foot across the plate, totally avoids any contact with the catcher and is safe.

From the defensive dugout: "Hey Blue, doesn't he have to slide?".

- Runners on first and second, one out. Sky high pop up to F6, who is settled under it for the catch. Infield Fly called while ball is near apex. Runner on second takes off before the catch and is easily doubled off the bag.

From the offensive coach: "But you called an Infield Fly. Isn't the ball dead on that?".

- Runner on first. Ball hit to the fence. R1 rounds second, then collides with an oblivious F6. I signal and call obstruction. Ball is still not picked up by the outfielder and I decide that I'm protecting the runner to home.

Relay throw comes in and the runner is tagged out by a step at the plate. I call time and award the runner home.

Defensive coach wants the out (naturally). "Hey Blue, doesn't he just get one base?".

Me: "No".

Coach: "How do you know that he would have scored?".

Me: "That's my judgment. I can award any base that negates the effect of the obstruction".

Coach: "You can't just give them a run like that!".

Me: "Yes I can!".

And finally...

- Batter-runner beats out a grounder at first, overruns the bag, then casually and without making any move toward second base turns to his left and heads back to the bag.

Defensive coach: "Tag him, tag him, he turned the wrong way!".

Come to think of it, maybe these aren't "new rules" after all. Different coaches seem to make these same arguments several times a season, year after year! :D

PtotheB Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:29pm

First night of fall ball last night. Pop up in the vicinity of third base. F5 makes the catch in foul territory, I say "Out" give a hammer and turn back towards the plate. 3B coach says "Hey Blue" and I stop and turn around. "How can that be an out? It was in foul territory." I give him the wrinkled up face WTF look for about 5 seconds. He gets a sheepish look on his face and says, "Oh man. Can we pretend I never said that?"

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 628356)
Me: "That's my judgment. I can award any base that negates the effect of the obstruction".

Coach: "You can't just give them a run like that!".

Me: "Yes I can!".

Ugh... Caught absolute HELL tonight. 2 outs, top of 7th, visitors down by a run after coming back from a 9-1 deficit. Close play at the plate, but the runner had to slow down because F2 was in the base path before the ball got there. He gets tagged out about half a step from the plate, which he probably would've made had F2 not been in the base path. I kill it, award home, and all HELL broke loose.

Home team ended up winning anyway, but I think I felt like wade did a couple years ago.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 628376)
Close play at the plate, but the runner had to slow down because F2 was in the base path before the ball got there. He gets tagged out about half a step from the plate, which he probably would've made had F2 not been in the base path. I kill it, award home, and all HELL broke loose.

Where was the runner when he checked up?

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 628384)
Where was the runner when he checked up?

6-8' from the plate or so.

wadeintothem Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46pm

*cough*cough*cough* badcall*cough*cough*letemplay*cough*picken boogers *cough * cough * cough *OOO * cough *cough *cough * looken for trouble * cough * cough

Damn allergies. :cool:

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 628393)
*cough*cough*cough* badcall*cough*cough*letemplay*cough*picken boogers *cough * cough * cough *OOO * cough *cough *cough * looken for trouble * cough * cough

Damn allergies. :cool:

Need a Benadryl? :p

I had at least 3-4 people go up to the field supervisor, asking for my name so they could file complaints.

Even spectators!

IRISHMAFIA Fri Oct 02, 2009 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 628394)
Need a Benadryl? :p

I had at least 3-4 people go up to the field supervisor, asking for my name so they could file complaints.

Even spectators!

Good, there will be that many more people who will be educated on the rules of softball.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Oct 02, 2009 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtotheB (Post 628359)
First night of fall ball last night. Pop up in the vicinity of third base. F5 makes the catch in foul territory, I say "Out" give a hammer and turn back towards the plate. 3B coach says "Hey Blue" and I stop and turn around. "How can that be an out? It was in foul territory." I give him the wrinkled up face WTF look for about 5 seconds. He gets a sheepish look on his face and says, "Oh man. Can we pretend I never said that?"

Had one a couple weeks ago, similar to this. Long hit down the 3B foul line, stays in the air. LF running like a bat out of hell towards it. I'm PU (slow-pitch, 2-umpire), and running down the 3B line to watch where the ball is contacted. The ball is clearly over foul territory when LF tries to catch it, instead it hits his glove and falls to the ground. Of course, LF is in fair territory (I know, but bear with me). I give the foul ball call. Offense goes nuts, saying that LF was in fair territory therefore the ball has to be fair. I explained to them that it all depends on the ball's location when it's contacted by LF. They don't believe me, so they went to my partner. He confirmed my ruling. They didn't believe us, so they started talking to the other umpires after the game, and of course, ruling affirmed (why do I feel like it was court system night???). Finally the coach of the team said "That is the stupidest rule in softball!"

I had the same team the next week, and the coach came up and apologized, saying that he had called the softball office (which coordinates all the leagues in Omaha) and they had confirmed that my ruling was correct because that was the rule. Ahhhh...the joys of being right. :)

CecilOne Fri Oct 02, 2009 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 628419)
Good, the will be that many more people who will be educated on the rules of softball.

ATTEMPTED to be educated on the rules of softball :rolleyes: