The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Who the HELL are you!!!? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54309-who-hell-you.html)

Andy Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 621031)
That usually works in Georgia, believe it or not!!:eek::D Tell them, rwest; you've seen them back off, or not even come out.

Seriously, Dave's point is well taken. It is one thing to listen when there are several possible answers, and accept the "official"; I know I always try to explain how, why, and precedents that apply. But if you just can't understand why "we" say there is just one right answer, we should be able to give you more.

Personally, I only stop answering when it has been explained ad infinitum, and someone just wants it to be another answer, no matter what the reasoning.

The converse of that are the coaches that come out of the dugout with:

Hey, blue...are you sure about that call? You know Emily (Alexander) said...blah blah blah.....:rolleyes:

Most of the time, what comes out of their mouth is not even close to anything that Emily would say....Steve, do you have this issue as well?

Welpe Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:42am

I'm Monty...I am but a peon in the softball umpiring world (maybe that's just the world). Don't pay attention to me, my opinions are irrelevant and not valid. ;)

To quote Popeye, I yam what I yam.

Steve M Tue Aug 18, 2009 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 621108)
:D Now that's funny!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Larry - you've mastered the understatement. Or, maybe those cows - from another thread - dropped something.:D

CecilOne Tue Aug 18, 2009 03:01pm

I have umpired softball for 23 years, but dropped slowpitch about 5 years ago. No authoritative position, but think I have a strong knowledge and understanding of the rules, as well as game management. Work NFHS, ASA, USSSA, PONY, a little NCAA and as I said all fastpitch now.

topper Tue Aug 18, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
I am gradually working myself up to be able to call some upper level youth fastpitch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 621108)
:D Now that's funny!

He may be talking about height. :D

Dutch Alex Tue Aug 18, 2009 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 621181)
He may be talking about height. :D

I don't think so; in the upper level youth fastpitch the blue's must wear white paints ;)

bestviewofall Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57am

OK, I've been lurking around the forum for a while now, and I guess have drank enough tonight to post.

I've umpired softball for 26 years, been lucky enough to work 2 ASA nationals along with several local championships over the years with some fantastic people who have taught me a lot about umpiring.

I've also been fortunate to work some college ball at the postseason level. I've learned a lot there, also.

My name is Smokey. I love this game.

Rachel Wed Aug 19, 2009 07:14am

Bout time Smoke.

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 19, 2009 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestviewofall (Post 621247)
OK, I've been lurking around the forum for a while now, and I guess have drank enough tonight to post.

I've umpired softball for 26 years, been lucky enough to work 2 ASA nationals along with several local championships over the years with some fantastic people who have taught me a lot about umpiring.

I've also been fortunate to work some college ball at the postseason level. I've learned a lot there, also.

Welcome, Smokey!

MNBlue Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

I didn't know that was possible, especially when Fat Tire gets involved. :D

Quote:

I think you have taught a few people about umpiring yourself, like me for instance!

Quote:

My daughters think it's cool when we see you on ESPN and I can say, "I know that umpire!"

Quote:

I echo Rachel's comment. Our friend is doing well. Save me a couple spots for the 2010 evaluation camp that you, KD, WN, and others are going to host. I would love to get input from you guys.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58am

Quote:

Glad to have you on board, Smokey.

SergioJ Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29am

Okay, here's me! I'm Serg from Virginia. I've been umpiring about 20 years, both slow and fast. I've done some ASA nationals, and taken a couple of trips to OKC during the months of February. I'm still a beginner, so I'm just learning. (thanks from me too Smokey!). So, any advise for me is always greatly appreciated.

Serg

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioJ (Post 621269)
So, any advise for me is always greatly appreciated.

Serg

Stop putting so much hot sauce on your food that it brings tears to the eyes at everyone at the table!!!:D

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17pm

Quote:

Good to have you aboard. Welcome!

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 621274)
Stop putting so much hot sauce on your food that it brings tears to the eyes at everyone at the table!!!:D

Yeah, pass it this way and stop hogging it! :D