The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule changes for 2009

Just read them over. I find this one curious.

18. 14.2.25 Run Batted In. Credit given to a batter…a ground out, remove(a double play), a fielder’s choice, …
Rationale: The defense is more than happy to trade two outs for a run. This means the batter did not earn the RBI.

Who got themselves worked up enough about this to demand a rule change? In a tight game 0-0 runners on 1st and 3rd, batter hits the ball to the right side as instructed and intended and drives in the winning run but ends up in a 4-6-3 double play. Defense is happy with the result?? So losing the game is a defensive goal now??
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post

18. 14.2.25 Run Batted In. Credit given to a batter…a ground out, remove(a double play), a fielder’s choice, …
Rationale: The defense is more than happy to trade two outs for a run. This means the batter did not earn the RBI.

Who got themselves worked up enough about this to demand a rule change? In a tight game 0-0 runners on 1st and 3rd, batter hits the ball to the right side as instructed and intended and drives in the winning run but ends up in a 4-6-3 double play. Defense is happy with the result?? So losing the game is a defensive goal now??
The defense elected to go for 2. Their problem.

Baseball doesn't credit an RBI on a DP.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post

In a tight game 0-0 runners on 1st and 3rd, batter hits the ball to the right side as instructed and intended and drives in the winning run but ends up in a 4-6-3 double play. Defense is happy with the result?? So losing the game is a defensive goal now??
Well, this depends entirely upon the situation. Early in a game, the defense may well elect to go for two if they have confidence in their offense.

In the 6th or 7th inning in a tie game, you can be assured that the infielders should be instructed to cut the runner down at home. At this point, the infield will likely be playing in just to ensure they have a play at home. No way can you allow that go-ahead or winning run to score.

I played with a guy who was proud of the fact that he had gone through the entire season to date without being charged with an error. We're in a tie game in the bottom of the 7th inning with no outs and a runner on 2B. After a fly ball to the OF, runner tags and is now on 3B w/ one out. We bring the infield in. We get exactly what we want, a hard ground ball to F4. Runner breaks from 3B on contact. F4 fields the ball cleanly and throws to a surprised F3, who steps on 1B as the winning run scored. I left the circle, picked up my bat and helmet and walked to my car. The guy still hadn't been charged with an error.

GOTTA know the game situation. Applies to me as an umpire as well.