The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What do you do to prepare for Nationals? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54043-what-do-you-do-prepare-nationals.html)

DaveASA/FED Tue Jul 21, 2009 01:32pm

What do you do to prepare for Nationals?

Ok nationals are coming up, so it got me thinking (there I go working without tools again :eek:) what do you all do to get ready for Nationals? Both mentally as well as getting gear / 'stuff' ready??

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 21, 2009 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 615998)
Ok nationals are coming up, so it got me thinking (there I go working without tools again :eek:) what do you all do to get ready for Nationals? Both mentally as well as getting gear / 'stuff' ready??

Well, as often as you claim to be cleaning the plate on this board, I would think you have a load of plate brushes. ;)

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 01:48pm

Well, for one, I make sure I have the right uniform as early as possible. Last year, the Nat I was at used the heather greys. This year, I'm at a different tourney, and it's the navy blue pants (Ronald, if you didn't know that already, well... consider it official: we're wearing navy blue pants as per direct communication with the UIC).

I check all of my shirts and make sure they all look sharp, along with buying a new cap and sometimes a new pair of shoes. I break them in by wearing them around the house before ever wearing them outside.

I introduce myself to the UIC and/or umpire coordinator whenever possible/appropriate, especially if they've never met me.

I give the rules and rules supplement one more cover-to-cover reading, along with the umpire manual.

Most importantly, I try to treat every game I do as though it's a National. That way, when I arrive, I've already done my "rehearsals."

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 616007)
This year, I'm at a different tourney, and it's the navy blue pants (Ronald, if you didn't know that already, well... consider it official: we're wearing navy blue pants as per direct communication with the UIC).

Not good as I have one pair of Navy blue and I bought them 3 moons ago. Bull shoot!

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:00pm

Do what dave says and

read case book

read every rules and clarification play from asa website

have master knowledge of definitions - and hope you have sound judgment to go along with it. they are not mutually inclusive.

visualize the tough calls

practice your mechanics in front of a mirror or a sliding door for 10 minutes per day for 1 year:D whatever time frame you need to be picture perfect.

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 616008)
Not good as I have one pair of Navy blue and I bought them 3 moons ago. Bull shoot!

Who is the UIC? Charlie Moss asked me so I assume he is the E UIC but that is an assumption. He could be assistant UIC or in charge of getting the last minute umps from VA area.

wadeintothem Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:11pm

I've been working on my game all year to get ready, plus I tolerate you guys year-round to try to learn the rules as much as possible ;) The last two tournies, I've been working a lot of 3 man since my Nat is all 3 man. Me and some other umps going to nats have been splitting the 2 man game fee 3 ways and working 3 man ASA in addition to some of the qualifiers I've worked. We figured that was bettter than someone just working for free on their game off and our UIC let us do it.

But as to just this week, I'm reviewing mechanics, cleaning all my stuff real good, and generally just getting my stuff ready. reDying the N's on my Plate shoes, coloring the W on my mask, stuff like that.

BuggBob Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:13pm

The check equipment light should have turned on some time ago so your should have already taken care of that. The rule klaxon also should have already been silenced. But double check both again.

One thing I did was about a week before; I started to drink only water. Sounds silly, but I was going to an environment that was in the 100's, I am only used to low 80's.

wadeintothem Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob (Post 616022)
The check equipment light should have turned on some time ago so your should have already taken care of that. The rule klaxon also should have already been silenced. But double check both again.

One thing I did was about a week before; I started to drink only water. Sounds silly, but I was going to an environment that was in the 100's, I am only used to low 80's.

I'm used to 100-110 and even + and always drink 80 oz per day +/-. Hydrate all the time.

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 616015)
Who is the UIC? Charlie Moss asked me so I assume he is the E UIC but that is an assumption. He could be assistant UIC or in charge of getting the last minute umps from VA area.

Charles has his own National going that weekend. I'll PM you the details...

DaveASA/FED Tue Jul 21, 2009 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 616000)
Well, as often as you claim to be cleaning the plate on this board, I would think you have a load of plate brushes. ;)

What do I need a plate brush for? That's why we got shoes isn't it?? Who actually bends over to brush the plate I mean really.:p

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 616039)
Charles has his own National going that weekend. I'll PM you the details...

I'm going to charles', not yours but at the same city.

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 616063)
I'm going to charles', not yours but at the same city.

Ahhh... Okay. Tell Charles I say hey. :)

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 616068)
Ahhh... Okay. Tell Charles I say hey. :)

read pm. i'm going to salem.

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 616071)
read pm. i'm going to salem.

Labor Day weekend? Or another day? I'll be there Labor Day weekend, which is the same day as the Senior Men's National.

KJUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 615998)

All the advice given is on target. Do not overlook getting your body healthy. As you're well aware, it's long days and nights on the field..and depending on where you're going....probably very hot. You need to be feeling your best physically. It will stand you in good stead in the long run.
> Someone already mentioned about getting yourself hydrated in the days before your first game...excellent advice.
>If you're travelling a long distance to your site (either by air or car) eat and drink properly while travelling.
>Eat sensibly in the week leading up to your tourney...and while you're there.
>Take care now of any little bumps, bruises, and nicks you've picked up during the season...heal up!
>Make sure that you're getting the proper rest prior to departing for your assignment and while you're at the tournament.
>Pack whatever over the counter meds etc. we all use to keep the body going during a long season... Advil, vitamins, Icy Hot, Aspercreme, etc. etc.
>Don't over work yourself with games back home in the 2 weeks leading up to the tournament. You already know what you need to know and know how to do on the field what you need to do....that's why you're going to a National. Don't burn yourself out trying to amke sure you're "ready".
>Focus on taking care of the physical and the mental...the rest wil take care of itself.
Good luck...have a great tournament.

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jul 22, 2009 05:14am

I make sure I have my stuff way in advanced. mentally I review the rules and case and manual ... try to pick up some games to make sure Im in tip top shape.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jul 22, 2009 06:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu (Post 616170)
try to pick up some games to make sure Im in tip top shape.

This tends to aggrevate some of the local teams when umpires do this.

Little things (sp i.e.-a false start by the pitcher, sliding back off PP prior to the release, etc.) which is often let go in the local one-umpire games all of a sudden get called IPs :D

Unfortunately, to prepare to go away, umpires have to shake off the local air and be prepared to make the calls in accordance to the mechanics and rules in the book. I've seen umpires not aware that a local rule was just that, a local rule and the first thing they see in the locker room is their UIC at the national in their face asking them, "what the hell was that?"

Always a good idea to work the weeks approaching a national, but you need to work it just as you would at the national, not the local league.

outathm Wed Jul 22, 2009 09:50am

If you work every game the same way the transition is a lot easier.

I know it is hard to do that, and you will not be as 'user friendly' on the local circuit, but I think it is better for the game and you in the long run.

I know I am not the popular umpire in some of the local leagues, but I also know that I am giving the locals (even 10U rec), the best game I can give them.

wadeintothem Wed Jul 22, 2009 09:59am

I dont agree. I dont work every game like its a national. Every game is not a national, there are many variations. From Rec to mens ball to friendlies to showcases with open lineups. From fall ball where I will be working on some NCAA stuff to early spring. Late May to June, its all nats prep though.

Working a game like you are working a national DOES NOT mean that teams should automatically dislike you. It means you should be working on your something for yourself.

bkbjones Thu Jul 23, 2009 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 616175)
I've seen umpires not aware that a local rule was just that, a local rule and the first thing they see in the locker room is their UIC at the national in their face asking them, "what the hell was that?"

Locker room? Locker room????? Youse guys have a locker room?????????

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 23, 2009 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 616483)
Locker room? Locker room????? Youse guys have a locker room?????????

Well, at four of them, yes, two had trailers and one had a picnic pavillion. :D

scottk_61 Sat Jul 25, 2009 02:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 616052)
What do I need a plate brush for? That's why we got shoes isn't it?? Who actually bends over to brush the plate I mean really.:p

What is the matter with you guys,
I specifically remember having a fancy pair of shoes that had a brush built right into them, on the bottom.:D
What, are you a bunch of rookies or what?:p

Steve M Sat Jul 25, 2009 04:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61 (Post 616750)
What is the matter with you guys,
I specifically remember having a fancy pair of shoes that had a brush built right into them, on the bottom.:D
What, are you a bunch of rookies or what?:p

Scott,
They only make those shoes in patent leather now & some don't like patent leather.:D

referee99 Sat Jul 25, 2009 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 616021)
reDying the N's on my Plate shoes

Possible bumper sticker.
You can get custom stickers for $4.95 delivered. Consider it!