The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Whose call at 3B ? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53966-whose-call-3b.html)

Chess Ref Wed Jul 15, 2009 07:45am

Whose call at 3B ?

From this last weekend. R1 on 2B. Catcher,after each pitch, is doing the throw back to F1 real quick thing. About the 4th pitch she throws it to 2B for the pick off, ball goes off the glove of F4, into the outfield and R1 bolts for 3B.

Who should take the call at 3B ?

My partner , BU, chased runner into 3B. I also moved up the line for the call. My opinion was I should have the call-same as overthrow at 2B on steal. I had the better angle and I wasn't chasing the runner....

So how do you handle that ?

HugoTafurst Wed Jul 15, 2009 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 614708)
From this last weekend. R1 on 2B. Catcher,after each pitch, is doing the throw back to F1 real quick thing. About the 4th pitch she throws it to 2B for the pick off, ball goes off the glove of F4, into the outfield and R1 bolts for 3B.

Who should take the call at 3B ?

My partner , BU, chased runner into 3B. I also moved up the line for the call. My opinion was I should have the call-same as overthrow at 2B on steal. I had the better angle and I wasn't chasing the runner....

So how do you handle that ?

My first instinct is BU has it.
BU shouldn't be "chasing" runner but busting in and for distance and angle.
(But that could just be a matter of semantics)

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jul 15, 2009 08:17am

I'm with Chess Ref. This doesn't meet the criteria when BU has the play at third. Per Sherlock Holmes, eliminate the impossible, what remains is possible.

BU has third when 1) B-R all the way around; nope.
BU has third when 2) PU has play at the plate on a lead runner; nope.
BU has third when 3) there is a return throw from home; nope.
BU has third when 4) PU is trapped by wild pitch or passed ball; nope.
BU has third when 5) first play by an infielder; nope (first play was pickoff attempt at second).

That leaves PU has play at third. Certainly understand BU reacting, but PU should call off and make the call.

shipwreck Wed Jul 15, 2009 08:38am

OK, so is it the same with a runner on first and the ball gets past the catcher and the BU gets in postition for a call at second, the runner may go to third, who has the possible call at third? I must be doing it wrong because I circle around second base outside and move toward the SS and get ready for a possible play at third. I think I see my error. Also if the PU is moving toward third, should the BU just stay outside or move a little inside for the runner returning to second? Dave

SRW Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:40am

I disagree, Steve. Had this been a straight steal of 3B on the pitch, the BU would take any play on R1 into 3B. Why not now?

And to follow up, if the play continues past 3B to HP, the PU would take that... if he's up at 3B, that's a lot of hustle to get down for the HP call.

SRW Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 614717)
OK, so is it the same with a runner on first and the ball gets past the catcher and the BU gets in postition for a call at second, the runner may go to third, who has the possible call at third?

The call at 3B is the PU in this sitch.

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 614731)
I disagree, Steve. Had this been a straight steal of 3B on the pitch, the BU would take any play on R1 into 3B. Why not now?

And to follow up, if the play continues past 3B to HP, the PU would take that... if he's up at 3B, that's a lot of hustle to get down for the HP call.

Because with R1 on 1B, the BU is in B, correct? In your sitch (sole runner on 2B), wouldn't the BU be in C? I'm not 100% familiar with FP mechanics, but that's my understanding...

wadeintothem Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:52am

BU probably would be caught moving towards 2B and having to trail the runner into 3 and would have a poor angle on a sliding banger at 3B.

I do think this IS PU's call but I think PU needs to pick his partner up on this and call the BU off because PU should be better off, but BU can certainly make it if something goes wrong. If it ends up being a no brainer call BU can make it.

This sounds like one of those plays where reading a play, hustles, and communication would be better than an dictated assignment.

ronald Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46am

Per ASA NUS, this is BU. Any deviation must communicate.

SRW Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 614736)
Because with R1 on 1B, the PU is in B, correct?

PU better NOT be in B... ;)

SRW Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13am

ASA Umpire Manual, Page 253:

Quote:

There are four times a base umpire will make a call at third base:
1. On the batter-runner on a triple with no runners on base.
2. On the last runner into third base.
3. On a lone runner on fly ball advancement.
4. On any return throw from the plate area or a cut-off by a player.

shipwreck Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 614750)
ASA Umpire Manual, Page 253:

Why double up on #1 and #2? A triple with no one on base, or for that matter, on a triple with runners on base, the batter/runner is the last runner into third. Dave

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 614749)
PU better NOT be in B... ;)

Corrected. Oops! :)

HugoTafurst Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 614737)
(snip)

This sounds like one of those plays where reading a play, hustles, and communication would be better than an dictated assignment.

BINGO..

Especially the communication part.

(and especially the reading the play part;)0

(oh yeah, and of course the hustle part);)

ronald Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 614775)
BINGO..

Especially the communication part.

(and especially the reading the play part;)0

(oh yeah, and of course the hustle part);)

I agree.

At your nationals, unless the BU falls down or something else drastic happens, BU needs to get it at all costs. Now may be you UIC won't care but I do not know that and I imagine you want the best eval possible.