The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Registration

For anyone that cares the NCAA has opened their registration.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ncaa found away to scam the little guy out of 100 bucks!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:52am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Ncaa found away to scam the little guy out of 100 bucks!
Please elaborate! Do we now have to pay $100 to be privileged to umpire NCAA games? What about Juco?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Please elaborate! Do we now have to pay $100 to be privileged to umpire NCAA games? What about Juco?
yes to both. I think that was last year as well.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

https://sup.arbitersports.com/front/104484/Site

I dont mind paying for a manual and a new rules book every couple of years, but I would like to see some of the NCAA 11yr. 14 billion dollar media contract be funneled down to the officials that our working there rears off trying to get better. Instead of offering low to no cost training for umpires,
there pushing more of the younger umpires away with the added cost and (legal)responsabilities of umpiring.

Last edited by roadking; Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 10:58am.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

You can order a rule book and manual seperately.

Paying for the arbiter site gives you access to all of the training videos and rule interpretations notes put out by the SUP as well as the NCAA rules test. You also get a spiral bound copy of the rule book and manual, if I remember correctly.

I work our local JUCO league and we were encouraged, but not required, to join the site. Some of our staff that does not work any D1 ball is also assigned to a local D2 school's games. Last year, their program was pretty solid and there was a good chance for them to win their conference and host post season games. Those of us that work there were told that we had to be Arbiter members in order to be considered for post season assignments if that school hosted.

I suppose the bottom line is that you need to ask your JUCO assignor/commissioner if membership is required to work that level.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You can order a rule book and manual seperately.

Paying for the arbiter site gives you access to all of the training videos and rule interpretations notes put out by the SUP as well as the NCAA rules test. and access to the on-line clinic. You also get a spiral bound copy of the rule book and manual, if I remember correctly.

I work our local JUCO league and we were encouraged, but not required, to join the site. Some of our staff that does not work any D1 ball is also assigned to a local D2 school's games. Last year, their program was pretty solid and there was a good chance for them to win their conference and host post season games. Those of us that work there were told that we had to be Arbiter members in order to be considered for post season assignments if that school hosted.

I suppose the bottom line is that you need to ask your JUCO assignor/commissioner if membership is required to work that level.
Andy...took the liberty off adding the red part to your post.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking NCAA, if its required by your conference coordinator, then the answer to your question is YES.

There are 51 NCAA softball conference coordinators across the country assigning all the DI, DII, and DIII games. They all have different criteria for being on their roster including but not limited to being registered with the NCAA/SUP program, minimum acceptable NCAA test score, completion of the on-line clinic, attending off-season camps etc. etc. Some of these criteria are set by the conferences themselves.

Can't speak to JUCO or NAIA.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
*shrugs* It's less than a game fee. Compare it to $70 for my local ASA (almost 3 game fees, and they don't pay travel) and it's a steal. This year you get a rule book app as well. While I might not use it, it is included in the $100 registration price. NFHS charges for theirs.

I believe that all other NCAA sports on Arbiter are also $100, so it's not just an SUP thing.

Not defending it, but compared to the game fees for the organizations I work it is the cheapest.
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

The idea here is to be able to disseminate information easier, to be able to provide an online clinic, (which will save the expense of a trip, plus food, plus hotel, plus clinic fee, to travel to a destination where a physical clinic is being held), and to be able to test and offer continuing training to umpires via quizzes....etc. You also get a rule book, and the SUIP manual.

Not bad for $100.00, if you desire to be the best umpire out there. This is the third or fourth year of this, so we should all be pretty used to it by now.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
The idea here is to be able to disseminate information easier, to be able to provide an online clinic, (which will save the expense of a trip, plus food, plus hotel, plus clinic fee, to travel to a destination where a physical clinic is being held), and to be able to test and offer continuing training to umpires via quizzes....etc. You also get a rule book, and the SUIP manual.

Not bad for $100.00, if you desire to be the best umpire out there. This is the third or fourth year of this, so we should all be pretty used to it by now.
And as you say, this eliminates the need to attend a meeting. The closest meeting for me was Indianapolis or Chicago. But one year I had to travel to Kansas City. I had a good time and saw lots of friends but from a financial point of view, paying $100 is a deal.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
And as you say, this eliminates the need to attend a meeting. The closest meeting for me was Indianapolis or Chicago. But one year I had to travel to Kansas City. I had a good time and saw lots of friends but from a financial point of view, paying $100 is a deal.
It amazes me how many respondents to this thread cannot see this obvious fact. The NCAA is saving you money, since the clinics are supposed to be required. Now you pay 100.00 and you have both the manual and the rule book, get to attend the video clinic, get immediate updates in rule changes and messages from Donna Vavrinec, take the online test, and improve their rules knowledge through the various quizzes, all for one LOW price.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It amazes me how many respondents to this thread cannot see this obvious fact. The NCAA is saving you money, since the clinics are supposed to be required. Now you pay 100.00 and you have both the manual and the rule book, get to attend the video clinic, get immediate updates in rule changes and messages from Donna Vavrinec, take the online test, and improve their rules knowledge through the various quizzes, all for one LOW price.
In baseball, we still have in-person regional clinics on top of the $100 fee.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is tax deductible.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The biggest complaint I heard at one meeting is that it's the same price for football and basketball and their game fees are so much higher than ours.