The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA Registration (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/93090-ncaa-registration.html)

Scooby Mon Dec 03, 2012 06:49pm

NCAA Registration

For anyone that cares the NCAA has opened their registration.

roadking Mon Dec 10, 2012 07:55pm

Ncaa found away to scam the little guy out of 100 bucks!

Manny A Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 866103)
Ncaa found away to scam the little guy out of 100 bucks!

Please elaborate! Do we now have to pay $100 to be privileged to umpire NCAA games? What about Juco? :confused:

CecilOne Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 866161)
Please elaborate! Do we now have to pay $100 to be privileged to umpire NCAA games? What about Juco? :confused:

yes to both. I think that was last year as well.

roadking Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:50am

https://sup.arbitersports.com/front/104484/Site

I dont mind paying for a manual and a new rules book every couple of years, but I would like to see some of the NCAA 11yr. 14 billion dollar media contract be funneled down to the officials that our working there rears off trying to get better. Instead of offering low to no cost training for umpires,
there pushing more of the younger umpires away with the added cost and (legal)responsabilities of umpiring.

Andy Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31pm

You can order a rule book and manual seperately.

Paying for the arbiter site gives you access to all of the training videos and rule interpretations notes put out by the SUP as well as the NCAA rules test. You also get a spiral bound copy of the rule book and manual, if I remember correctly.

I work our local JUCO league and we were encouraged, but not required, to join the site. Some of our staff that does not work any D1 ball is also assigned to a local D2 school's games. Last year, their program was pretty solid and there was a good chance for them to win their conference and host post season games. Those of us that work there were told that we had to be Arbiter members in order to be considered for post season assignments if that school hosted.

I suppose the bottom line is that you need to ask your JUCO assignor/commissioner if membership is required to work that level.

KJUmp Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 866233)
You can order a rule book and manual seperately.

Paying for the arbiter site gives you access to all of the training videos and rule interpretations notes put out by the SUP as well as the NCAA rules test. and access to the on-line clinic. You also get a spiral bound copy of the rule book and manual, if I remember correctly.

I work our local JUCO league and we were encouraged, but not required, to join the site. Some of our staff that does not work any D1 ball is also assigned to a local D2 school's games. Last year, their program was pretty solid and there was a good chance for them to win their conference and host post season games. Those of us that work there were told that we had to be Arbiter members in order to be considered for post season assignments if that school hosted.

I suppose the bottom line is that you need to ask your JUCO assignor/commissioner if membership is required to work that level.

Andy...took the liberty off adding the red part to your post.

KJUmp Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01pm

Quote:

Speaking NCAA, if its required by your conference coordinator, then the answer to your question is YES.

There are 51 NCAA softball conference coordinators across the country assigning all the DI, DII, and DIII games. They all have different criteria for being on their roster including but not limited to being registered with the NCAA/SUP program, minimum acceptable NCAA test score, completion of the on-line clinic, attending off-season camps etc. etc. Some of these criteria are set by the conferences themselves.

Can't speak to JUCO or NAIA.

trojans2545 Wed Dec 12, 2012 01:01pm

Quote:

*shrugs* It's less than a game fee. Compare it to $70 for my local ASA (almost 3 game fees, and they don't pay travel) and it's a steal. This year you get a rule book app as well. While I might not use it, it is included in the $100 registration price. NFHS charges for theirs.

I believe that all other NCAA sports on Arbiter are also $100, so it's not just an SUP thing.

Not defending it, but compared to the game fees for the organizations I work it is the cheapest.

Skahtboi Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41pm

The idea here is to be able to disseminate information easier, to be able to provide an online clinic, (which will save the expense of a trip, plus food, plus hotel, plus clinic fee, to travel to a destination where a physical clinic is being held), and to be able to test and offer continuing training to umpires via quizzes....etc. You also get a rule book, and the SUIP manual.

Not bad for $100.00, if you desire to be the best umpire out there. This is the third or fourth year of this, so we should all be pretty used to it by now. :rolleyes:

Scooby Thu Dec 27, 2012 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 868789)
The idea here is to be able to disseminate information easier, to be able to provide an online clinic, (which will save the expense of a trip, plus food, plus hotel, plus clinic fee, to travel to a destination where a physical clinic is being held), and to be able to test and offer continuing training to umpires via quizzes....etc. You also get a rule book, and the SUIP manual.

Not bad for $100.00, if you desire to be the best umpire out there. This is the third or fourth year of this, so we should all be pretty used to it by now. :rolleyes:

And as you say, this eliminates the need to attend a meeting. The closest meeting for me was Indianapolis or Chicago. But one year I had to travel to Kansas City. I had a good time and saw lots of friends but from a financial point of view, paying $100 is a deal.

Skahtboi Sun Dec 30, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 868797)
And as you say, this eliminates the need to attend a meeting. The closest meeting for me was Indianapolis or Chicago. But one year I had to travel to Kansas City. I had a good time and saw lots of friends but from a financial point of view, paying $100 is a deal.

It amazes me how many respondents to this thread cannot see this obvious fact. The NCAA is saving you money, since the clinics are supposed to be required. Now you pay 100.00 and you have both the manual and the rule book, get to attend the video clinic, get immediate updates in rule changes and messages from Donna Vavrinec, take the online test, and improve their rules knowledge through the various quizzes, all for one LOW price.

Rich Sun Dec 30, 2012 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 869065)
It amazes me how many respondents to this thread cannot see this obvious fact. The NCAA is saving you money, since the clinics are supposed to be required. Now you pay 100.00 and you have both the manual and the rule book, get to attend the video clinic, get immediate updates in rule changes and messages from Donna Vavrinec, take the online test, and improve their rules knowledge through the various quizzes, all for one LOW price.

In baseball, we still have in-person regional clinics on top of the $100 fee.

KJUmp Sun Dec 30, 2012 03:21pm

Quote:

Which is tax deductible.

PATRICK Thu Jan 03, 2013 03:33pm

Quote:

The biggest complaint I heard at one meeting is that it's the same price for football and basketball and their game fees are so much higher than ours.