The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What was that she said????? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53841-what-she-said.html)

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32am

What was that she said?????

Working an USSSA coed slow-pitch game last night, I noticed the lady playing 3rd base wearing a mitt (illegal in USSSA, but legal in ASA) so I asked her to remove it. She "whined" that was the only glove she had. I told her to borrow a glove from one of the subs on the bench, sheesh. :rolleyes:

After that half of the inning was over, she came to me with a question. She asked if the mitt rule was only for slow-pitch, to which I responded in USSSA yes, but ASA does allow it. She said, hmmm, that's a big difference between fast-pitch and slow-pitch because she was allowed to wear the mitt as a 3B in college ball. I didn't respond to that because I don't do college ball, much less fast-pitch, but it made me wonder. :confused: So, I ask of you folks on here, is that even true that 3B can wear a mitt in college softball? Thanks. :)

Steve M Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:00pm

Yup - from this year's NCAA rule book:
3.7.1 All players except the catcher must use a leather fielder’s glove/mitt
that meets the following maximum specifications:
Palm width: 8 inches; top opening of web: 5 inches; web top to
bottom: 7-1/4 inches; thumb top to bottom edge: 9-1/4 inches; highest
finger top to bottom edge: 14 inches.

steveshane67 Fri Jul 03, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 612252)
Working an USSSA coed slow-pitch game last night, I noticed the lady playing 3rd base wearing a mitt (illegal in USSSA, but legal in ASA) so I asked her to remove it. She "whined" that was the only glove she had. I told her to borrow a glove from one of the subs on the bench, sheesh. :rolleyes:

After that half of the inning was over, she came to me with a question. She asked if the mitt rule was only for slow-pitch, to which I responded in USSSA yes, but ASA does allow it. She said, hmmm, that's a big difference between fast-pitch and slow-pitch because she was allowed to wear the mitt as a 3B in college ball. I didn't respond to that because I don't do college ball, much less fast-pitch, but it made me wonder. :confused: So, I ask of you folks on here, is that even true that 3B can wear a mitt in college softball? Thanks. :)

ppl pay attention to gloves in coed slow pitch softball?

argodad Fri Jul 03, 2009 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveshane67 (Post 612274)
ppl pay attention to gloves in coed slow pitch softball?

Brent does! :cool:

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 03, 2009 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 612287)
Brent does! :cool:

As do all good umpires when it is necessary.

Ref Ump Welsch Sat Jul 04, 2009 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 612259)
Yup - from this year's NCAA rule book:
3.7.1 All players except the catcher must use a leather fielder’s glove/mitt
that meets the following maximum specifications:
Palm width: 8 inches; top opening of web: 5 inches; web top to
bottom: 7-1/4 inches; thumb top to bottom edge: 9-1/4 inches; highest
finger top to bottom edge: 14 inches.

You say it was in this year's book. This gal has been out of college for several years now. Was this a new rule this year, or has it been around for a while?

AtlUmpSteve Sat Jul 04, 2009 06:00pm

Not new this year. I am out of state, so cannot research, but I believe this changed 3 or 4 years ago in NCAA.