The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Red face rimming???

First off just the phrase rimming doesn't sound like anyone, especially umpires should be involved in such activity. However, here is the sit.

Working 3-man championship 16U accelerated, R1 on 1st. I am PU, rabbit rotated to B, 1BU at A. Fly to center rabbit goes out a little late but not to bad. I yell 2 man. 1BU goes behind runner in foul territory ball is caught on a dive R1 tags and there is a banger at second. Guess who has the call??? I decide I do as I went to a holding position near the mound and am the closest to the play. Thank god I am still semi young and quick, I get there in good position and there are no complaints at all as the runner just beats the tag. Two innings latter the 1BU apologizes and claims he was using the college rim technique. I do some JC and I think then shouldn't you be on the outside in front of the runner on the rim towards second base not in foul territory? Am I wrong? Do I not understand rimming? Help me out here. Always learning but never coming to a full knowledge of the truth.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, the situation you give us is not one in which it would be acceptable, even in the NCAA to rim. Secondly, if I am reading your post correctly, then your concept of rimming is correct. This guy was just trying to toot his own horn while making excuses for his laziness, IMO.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
First off just the phrase rimming doesn't sound like anyone, especially umpires should be involved in such activity. However, here is the sit.

Working 3-man championship 16U accelerated, R1 on 1st. I am PU, rabbit rotated to B, 1BU at A. Fly to center rabbit goes out a little late but not to bad. I yell 2 man. 1BU goes behind runner in foul territory ball is caught on a dive R1 tags and there is a banger at second. Guess who has the call??? I decide I do as I went to a holding position near the mound and am the closest to the play. Thank god I am still semi young and quick, I get there in good position and there are no complaints at all as the runner just beats the tag. Two innings latter the 1BU apologizes and claims he was using the college rim technique. I do some JC and I think then shouldn't you be on the outside in front of the runner on the rim towards second base not in foul territory? Am I wrong? Do I not understand rimming? Help me out here. Always learning but never coming to a full knowledge of the truth.
At least it is a plus he realized he screwed up. However, I must say I have seen this actually taught at a clinic by an umpire who lives and dies on NCAA mechanics. When I asked him how his 6'2", 260 lb *** was going to beat that young, speedy 18 yo to 2B for a call, he just blew me off.

However, I have to ask why you are in the middle of the infield and why was is there a mound there?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

sorry pitchers plate. I was in the holding area between Home plate and the pitchers plate. (there was no food on either plate) Again I was the nearest umpire and the only one with the ability to get in position to make a call, so I did the best I could.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... I was in the holding area between Home plate and the pitchers plate. ...
Since when is there a holding zone on fair-ground? We, in Europe, have it on foul-territory between HP and 3B.

Quote:
... (there was no food on either plate) ...
Standing in the European holding zone, you're closeby a dug-out. You might be offered some gum overthere...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Since when is there a holding zone on fair-ground? We, in Europe, have it on foul-territory between HP and 3B.
I think that in college mechanics there are several different holding zones. The manual tells which one you go to based on the situation.

I think you can get by with just the one.