The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm talking ASA slow pitch (may apply to MP and FP also).

I've heard that ASA may reduce the maximum ball compression value to 375 or 400, from the current 525. This would be a great idea, since 525 max. balls (misleadingly called "mid-compression") are dangerous.

COR is far less important today than compression value (I think COR is nearly irrelevant with 525 max compression balls). Regulating the balls to lower compression values is the answer. Regulating COR below .47 and league "single wall only" rules are not (IMO, such bat rules also are misguided, arbitrary and nearly impossible to enforce -- we won't get into that here). Using a softer ball makes multi-wall bats less effective and, in some cases, ineffective.

Anyone know what ASA's position is on the compression issue for next year's rules? Is the issue being discussed.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Don't know the answer to your question.........BUT, I do agree that compression and ball construction type are the most effective means of controlling the flight of the ball (NOT COR)......am guessing that this will be addressed sometime in the future by all governing bodies.........

JMHO

Joel
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap
I'm talking ASA slow pitch (may apply to MP and FP also).

I've heard that ASA may reduce the maximum ball compression value to 375 or 400, from the current 525. This would be a great idea, since 525 max. balls (misleadingly called "mid-compression") are dangerous.

COR is far less important today than compression value (I think COR is nearly irrelevant with 525 max compression balls). Regulating the balls to lower compression values is the answer. Regulating COR below .47 and league "single wall only" rules are not (IMO, such bat rules also are misguided, arbitrary and nearly impossible to enforce -- we won't get into that here). Using a softer ball makes multi-wall bats less effective and, in some cases, ineffective.

Anyone know what ASA's position is on the compression issue for next year's rules? Is the issue being discussed.
ASA has issued an emergency vote on a rules change to go into effect January 1, 2003. The national councils vote is due next Friday. The "emergency" status was granted so the issue could be determined prior to the national convention in November. This was done so the manufacturers could adjust their production runs in a timely fashion should the issue pass.

It would make the official ball (for SP, at least) a gold-stitched, .44 COR w/375 compression. This issue died on the floor last November. However, it has been raised again after 5 deaths on softball fields in the past 13 months and is expected to pass.

The effective date was determined in conjunction with manufacturer's input, so there shouldn't be any big problem from that side.

Along with this vote, it has been strongly suggested to the commissioners that any championship play, including NCs, from this point forward use these balls if they are available.