The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53269-new-rules.html)

bkbjones Sun May 17, 2009 11:20pm

New rules

A bounding ball, first striking the ground in fair territory before passing either first or third, which passes over the bag and then strike in foul territory after passing the bag, is fair, right?

WRONG.

I mean, it wasn't even close. Hell, there was a runner would have been beheaded, or at least suffered a mildly bruised calf, if it had been foul.

Oh...and one new-to-ASA team thought chin straps were optional for ASA. AND...had already played two games in the tournament by the time they got to me.

IRISHMAFIA Mon May 18, 2009 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 602823)
A bounding ball, first striking the ground in fair territory before passing either first or third, which passes over the bag and then strike in foul territory after passing the bag, is fair, right?

WRONG.

I mean, it wasn't even close. Hell, there was a runner would have been beheaded, or at least suffered a mildly bruised calf, if it had been foul.

Beheaded or bruised calf? Must have been some pretty compact players. Was this the Emerald City Munchkin Nationals I've heard so much about? I understand a team has to really be on the short list to get invited to this one.

Quote:

Oh...and one new-to-ASA team thought chin straps were optional for ASA. AND...had already played two games in the tournament by the time they got to me.
Did the coach know that the only thing that was optional was his/her presence? :D

bkbjones Mon May 18, 2009 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 602841)
Was this the Emerald City Munchkin Nationals I've heard so much about? I understand a team has to really be on the short list to get invited to this one.

And to umpire those nationals, you must be a member of the Lollipop Guild.

Welpe Mon May 18, 2009 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 602979)
And to umpire those nationals, you must be a member of the Lollipop Guild.

So the unions have run amok again? :)

Ref Ump Welsch Wed May 20, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 602823)

WRONG.

This pops up ALL the time in slow-pitch rec leagues. Unbelieveable how many people are ignorant of the rule. :rolleyes:

wadeintothem Wed May 20, 2009 11:00am

I have a good new rule I learned this weekend.

R1 @ 3B bounding blooper down 3B line, R1 holding on the base - ball bounces into the runners shin (still on base and shin in fair territory) - nothing intentional or anything goofy.

Should be interference with a ball that was going to go foul, runner out, batter back to bat with a foul ball.

----------------------------------------------------------

I did invent my own rule to handle a lame protest (different situation- assistant coach) that had absolutely no merit and was only going to result in wasting time and energy and it was a 104.

"Well I want to talk to your boss. Wheres your boss at?"
"If you go looking for my boss, I'll toss you and that will give you plenty of time to find him."

It was the quickest protest reversal in history.

:D

Ref Ump Welsch Wed May 20, 2009 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 603448)
I have a good new rule I learned this weekend.

R1 @ 3B bounding blooper down 3B line, R1 holding on the base - ball bounces into the runners shin (still on base and shin in fair territory) - nothing intentional or anything goofy.

Should be interference with a ball that was going to go foul, runner out, batter back to bat with a foul ball.

----------------------------------------------------------

I did invent my own rule to handle a lame protest (different situation) that had absolutely no merit and was only going to result in wasting time and energy and it was a 104.

"If you go looking for my boss, I'll toss you and that will give you plenty of time to find him."

Yup, another one that comes up in the wreck leagues in slow-pitch. Sometimes those players think we blues are ucking stupid and need guidance. :rolleyes:

Love this one. *bowing in reverence* :D

Tru_in_Blu Wed May 20, 2009 11:18am

I had one yesterday at a freshman game. Runner on 2B and an uncaught third strike on the batter. Catcher is worried about runner going to 3B, but ultimately decided to throw to F3 to retire BR. The throw pulls F3 off the base toward home, so now she attempts to tag the BR who's right on top of her. She appeared to tag the runner on the mid-thigh and the runner's momentum caused the ball to drop to the ground. BR proceeds to 1B and now we have runners on first and third.

DC comes out and asks for time wondering "What happened?!" Someone from his dugout said "She dropped the ball." So now armed with this information, he approached me and said, "Blue, I don't think there is anything in the rules stating how long a player has to hold the ball, like one-mississippi, two-mississippi."

I gave him an inquiring look and said, "I think you're right coach. I don't recall seeing anything like that." His eyes widen in anticipation. I continued, "However, I do recall a passage about the ball being securely held by a fielder. The drop occurred immediately after contact so the runner is safe."

He thanked me politely and returned to the dugout.

Ted

NCASAUmp Wed May 20, 2009 11:19am

I, sadly, once had an umpire ask this of me (I may have mentioned this one before)...

"If a fly ball goes past 3B in fair territory, then curves foul, isn't that a fair ball?" :confused:

*groan*

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 20, 2009 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 603464)
I, sadly, once had an umpire ask this of me (I may have mentioned this one before)...

"If a fly ball goes past 3B in fair territory, then curves foul, isn't that a fair ball?" :confused:

*groan*

Doesn't that depend on the score and inning? :D

BuggBob Wed May 20, 2009 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 603448)

I did invent my own rule to handle a lame protest (different situation- assistant coach) that had absolutely no merit and was only going to result in wasting time and energy and it was a 104.

Was it because he used bad grammar? Or was he a jerk?

NCASAUmp Wed May 20, 2009 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob (Post 603520)

My guess is Door #2. :D

CajunNewBlue Wed May 20, 2009 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 603464)

*groan*

well?? is it? :p:D

wadeintothem Wed May 20, 2009 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob (Post 603520)

ah he wasnt too bad.. when he saw homey dont play that he got in his cage and we were best buddies forever more. He believed he could coach his team from the stands.. so he was squawking, yelling at his players etc and generally irritating me..but lo - I noticed he was wearing the same shirt as other coaches.. so between innings I asked him if he was a coach.. he said "yes".. well to the cage you go then... He insisted it was legal to coach from there and he does it all the time .. (probably does, but not that day) and blah blah blah.. well let me talk to your boss then... I dont think so...