The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Distracting cheers (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53232-distracting-cheers.html)

RKBUmp Thu May 14, 2009 10:28am

Distracting cheers

From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 10:32am

ignore it. Try not to let it get to you.

SRW Thu May 14, 2009 10:45am

Tune it out.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 14, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 602060)
From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?

There is none. My personal opinion is that addressing an opponent in any manner other than common pleasantries is form of USC. Many do not agree. Some believe anything goes. I don't.

Speaking ASA

Base coaches are forbidden, by rule, to address the opponent or make any comments which would reflect negatively upon the opponent, umpire or spectator. Why should one expect less from a player?

Dakota Thu May 14, 2009 10:59am

If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).

Quote:

NFHS Rule 2, SECTION 36 OBSTRUCTION (DEFENSE)
Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball... The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 11:06am

I have no problem with players that want to cheer for their own team. However, I've never understood how "cheering" at an opposing team player to swing the bat and distracting them is cheering for your team.

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:27am

Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602101)
Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.

And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?

CajunNewBlue Thu May 14, 2009 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602103)
And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?

hopefully the batter hits that nugget outta the park and silences the bench for all time!! :D

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

So?

Swing batta batta has been around forever.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu May 14, 2009 11:43am

This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?" :D

CajunNewBlue Thu May 14, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 602114)
This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?" :D

rofl

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 602076)
If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).

IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.

Dakota Thu May 14, 2009 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602116)
IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.

I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 602120)
I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.

Thats cuz ur a good umpire! ;)

ronald Thu May 14, 2009 12:35pm

this type of behavior would never, ever (no proof:) happen at the Olympics. Behavior from players should imitate Olympic behavior IMO.

I side with Mike on this. We just have higher standards:D:D:D

The issue is not whether I should tune it out, or it should not bother me, etc but rather is it sportsmanlike. Of course not, a good sportsman does not resort to that.

I have not allowed it where I thought it was inappropriate and the UIC backed me up as the team that could not do it went and complained to the UIC.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602111)
So?

Swing batta batta has been around forever.

So have take-out slides and bean balls. :)

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 14, 2009 12:50pm

Folks, I'm not talking about picking nits, here. I'm talking about directed comments for the purpose of affecting a player's immediate actions. It does not necessarily have to be disparaging language, then again, if it is, it need not be of a loud volume. Really don't care about idle chatter, defining pitches or offering direction to a teammate.

I have never ejected anyone on this type of issue. It stops when I make a point of it. This is a type of violation that when you hear it, you instruct the participant to cease. If ignored, then you take whatever you deem is the appropriate action which whomever it is necessary to get control of the game.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 12:56pm

Bear in mind that the only time in the last 16+ years of umpiring that I have ever said anything about "swing" is if I see a player visibly starting to get pissed enough that they might want to do something about it. This has happened maybe... 3 times?

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602133)
So have take-out slides and bean balls. :)

Exactly correct!

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602136)
Bear in mind that the only time in the last 16+ years of umpiring that I have ever said anything about "swing" is if I see a player visibly starting to get pissed enough that they might want to do something about it. This has happened maybe... 3 times?

You work adult ball slow pitch right?

There may be some actions you take in that game that are not necessary in youth ball.. an example IMO would be the afforementioned "take out slide".

In youth ball, it is expected to "break it up" - in beer league, they gotta work in the morning and allowing certain things can lead to problems.

I think manage your game... so on a case by case basis depending on a circumstance, you may need to do something that you wouldnt necessarily do another given circumstance.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602144)
Exactly correct!

My point is that just because things have "always been there," it doesn't mean they should be there. :)

Anyway, what I was trying to get at is that some chatter is fine, but there's a point at which it crosses the line. If it's creating a dangerous or hostile environment, then it should stop. If I'm calling a game where the ball is coming in at 60+ MPH, I would not want someone distracting the batter, putting them at risk of getting hit.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 14, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602149)
My point is that just because things have "always been there," it doesn't mean they should be there. :)

Anyway, what I was trying to get at is that some chatter is fine, but there's a point at which it crosses the line. If it's creating a dangerous or hostile environment, then it should stop. If I'm calling a game where the ball is coming in at 60+ MPH, I would not want someone distracting the batter, putting them at risk of getting hit.

Or the ball coming at a fielder at 98 mph and a passing runner screaming.....oh, wait a minute, that one we call!

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602148)
You work adult ball slow pitch right?

Yes, indeedileedoodly! However, I called youth games for many years. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
There may be some actions you take in that game that are not necessary in youth ball.. an example IMO would be the afforementioned "take out slide".

In youth ball, it is expect to "break it up" - in beer league, they gotta work in the morning and allowing certain things can lead to problems.

I was not aware that ASA had different rules regarding sliding...

Quote:

I think manage your game... so on a case base case bases depending on a circumstance you may need to do something.

Absolutely, each game will be different. The players are different, the setting is different, and the mood is different. Just like some days, I can put up with more crap, and other days, I might not always be so willing to tolerate things (try as I may to be as consistent and cool-headed as possible). But if I see some bad mojo brewing, or if I see some potential danger in the act, I put a stop to it quietly and without being adversarial.

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602149)

Come on! Now youre reaching for justification now for OOO by inventing a "safety save the children" justification, which is beyond the previous USC argument.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 602152)
Or the ball coming at a fielder at 98 mph and a passing runner screaming.....oh, wait a minute, that one we call!

Yep! And I do tell the runners not to do that. I've even called INT on a runner for doing that. He screamed as he ran into 2B on a force play, and I could see F4 flinch big time, causing her to drop the ball (when she normally doesn't drop it).

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602153)
But if I see some bad mojo brewing, or if I see some potential danger in the act, I put a stop to it quietly and without being adversarial.

is that why no one likes you and you keep on having to eject everyone ? ;)

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602154)
Come on! Now youre reaching for justification now for OOO by inventing a "safety save the children" justification, which is beyond the previous USC argument.

Oh, as George Carlin used to say... "F*** the children!" :D

Actually, that was part of my argument from the start, so I didn't tangent into that. But yes, if I see an unnecessary behavior that makes things unsafe, I put a stop to it. I do that for all levels of play, from 10U to Seniors.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602157)
is that why no one likes you and you keep on having to eject everyone ? ;)

Could be! :)

You know I'm just messin' with you, bud. :)

We apparently have different styles, and each umpire has his/her own threshold. I'm comfortable with mine, you're comfortable with yours. As long as neither of us are d1cks about it, I see no troubles in how either of us handles the situation. Know what I mean?

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602161)
Could be! But it never earned me a spot in the paper. :eek:

You know I'm just messin' with you, bud. :)

Low blow...

Quote:

We apparently have different styles, and each umpire has his/her own threshold. I'm comfortable with mine, you're comfortable with yours. As long as neither of us are d1cks about it, I see no troubles in how either of us handles the situation. Know what I mean?
:D you know it bro!

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602165)
Low blow...

You're right, I broke my promise. Comment redacted, so you can edit it out of your quote. :)

Quote:

:D you know it bro!

Absolutely!

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602169)
You're right, I broke my promise. Comment redacted, so you can edit it out of your quote. :)

I'm too lazy ;)

Oh, and I dont care :D

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602176)
I'm too lazy ;)

Oh, and I dont care :D

Yeah, well, my word is my word, you know? :)

Welpe Thu May 14, 2009 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602177)
Yeah, well, my word is my word, you know? :)

Yeah but that was just mean... :D

I guess that is what happens when you have humans umpire, we all have different thresholds for things.

I'm likely to nip some things in the bud during an adult AA game before a JO youth game because the adults will start going after each other. I've seen it happy and it wasn't pretty.

HugoTafurst Thu May 14, 2009 04:18pm

Quote:

I close my eyes and duck!!:D

(then I call what it sounds like)

HugoTafurst Thu May 14, 2009 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 602114)

Well... how did it look???

Ref Ump Welsch Thu May 14, 2009 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 602214)
Well... how did it look???

The guy never made a comment. He sulked off, ranting off a profanity-filled litany as he headed to his car. I threw the ball back to the pitcher and asked if they had a sub. Before the sub got to the catcher's spot, I turned to the batter and said, "honey, they're perfect...just play ball." :D