The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   WCWS Umpires? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53083-wcws-umpires.html)

Dholloway1962 Tue May 05, 2009 12:34pm

WCWS Umpires?

Have they announced the Regional/Super Regional/WCWS Umpires yet? Couldn't find it on Cactus Umpires if they have.

Skahtboi Tue May 05, 2009 01:13pm

I just know that once again, I am not one of them! :confused: :D

NCASAUmp Tue May 05, 2009 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 599859)
I just know that once again, I am not one of them! :confused: :D

Me, neither... Until they do college SP. :D:eek:

IRISHMAFIA Tue May 05, 2009 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 599849)
Have they announced the Regional/Super Regional/WCWS Umpires yet? Couldn't find it on Cactus Umpires if they have.

I know umpires in line for different levels have been notified, but if I remember correctly, I was under the impression these assignments would not be published in advance, but as the playoffs moved forward.

I could be wrong. I know we have a couple on here and do not believe it would be inappropriate if they strutted a little bit on here when they received their assignment(s).

Big Slick Tue May 05, 2009 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 599849)

No public list exists, and there are no plans for posting on any websites this year. The DI regional umpires are selected. DI supers and championships umpires are not selected at this time, as they will be selected at the conclusion of the regional/supers weekends. This is a change from years past.

DII regional selection came out yesterday (as the sites were announced Sunday night). The DII super regional umpires will be notified next week pending site selections (also something new this year). DII championship and DIII first round/championship umpires have received notice of their selections.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue May 05, 2009 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 599863)
Me, neither... Until they do college SP. :D:eek:

Oh lord, don't start that up. I heard some frats were thinking of something along the lines of this. That's all we need, a bunch of drunken frat boys playing for national titles and collegiate pride. As if the number of kegs consumed during the year wasn't enough. :D

NCASAUmp Tue May 05, 2009 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 599881)
Oh lord, don't start that up. I heard some frats were thinking of something along the lines of this. That's all we need, a bunch of drunken frat boys playing for national titles and collegiate pride. As if the number of kegs consumed during the year wasn't enough. :D

Why not? I've still got my trophy! University of Wisconsin, baby!

Welpe Tue May 05, 2009 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 599902)
Why not? I've still got my trophy! University of Wisconsin, baby!

Ugh.

As I learned being an intramural official and later supervisor in college, it is amazing what some people will do for a stupid t-shirt. :D

NCASAUmp Tue May 05, 2009 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 599903)
Ugh.

As I learned being an intramural official and later supervisor in college, it is amazing what some people will do for a stupid t-shirt. :D

I was referring to the beer drinking...

But yes, having called intramural softball and supervised it as well, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Funny thing was that I was one of few umpires who threw people out. I wasn't going to take their $h!t. Best part about it was as I was walking back to the building to check out, my boss was walking out of the building. I had ejected someone the previous day. In front of everyone he says, "hey, Dave! I heard you tossed someone out yesterday! Awesome work, man!" and gave me the thumbs up.

Gotta love a program director who's got your back!

Steve M Wed May 06, 2009 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 599865)
I know umpires in line for different levels have been notified, but if I remember correctly, I was under the impression these assignments would not be published in advance, but as the playoffs moved forward.

I could be wrong. I know we have a couple on here and do not believe it would be inappropriate if they strutted a little bit on here when they received their assignment(s).

Mike,
I know of 3 here that have assignments. I'm sure there's some tales to come later - one of them will be with one of your deputies.

outathm Wed May 06, 2009 10:34am

I know 2 of the guys working with Mike's Deputy. I am sure the stories will come, although they seem to have a fairly good crew and very good teams.

CajunNewBlue Wed May 06, 2009 11:33am

checked the mail box... nope.
Guess i will have to wait for a few more years. :D

wadeintothem Wed May 06, 2009 12:36pm

shoot, mine must be lost in the mail.

CajunNewBlue Wed May 06, 2009 03:36pm

I did get to call the Louisiana 5A state championship game this past weekend and my wife gave birth to a 7lb 5oz baby girl, 12 hours later..... that should carry me for a few days. :) (big time hijack attempt ;) )

wadeintothem Wed May 06, 2009 03:47pm

Heck thats almost as good as the WCWS! Congrats on the baby!