The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Giving a batter time

I know that we have all been instructed to not give a batter time any longer unless it is for a legitimate reason. I also understand that a batter just holding up their hand has never been an official signal for time, but was just a courtesy that umpires extended to the batter.

Recently I have noticed that some officials appear to be taking not giving the batter time to the extreme. At several recent JC games I have watched, the umpires have refused to hold the pitcher while the batter was still stepping into the box. In some cases the batter has still been holding the bat in one hand with the other hand held up to the umpire when the pitcher has pitched. And it is obvious that some pitchers are using this to their advantage. They are taking the throw back, and immediately stepping back to the pitching plate before the batter has even had a chance to get their signs.

Again, we have been told not to give time unless the batter has a legitimate reason, but, in ASA we also have rule 6-10-B covering quick pitches, and I believe it is rule 10-9 in the NCAA book.

How are you handling giving a batter time to get set and pitchers that are obviously quick pitching?