The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Protective Face Shield

I'm soliciting inputs and opinions on protective face shields. This would be primarily for calling slow pitch at the plate. I've come real close to being smacked with foul balls on a few occasions now. This happens particularly when the pitcher throws a flat pitch. Despite a call of "illegal", many batters like this pitch and will take a hack at it. Given the lower trajectory of the ball, if they don't square it up, sometimes it's shooting back at me.

I don't want to wear my FP mask to do SP and would prefer a type of mask that I could just put on at the start of the game and leave it on and not have to worry about removing it after the ball was hit, as in FP.

I've checked a few on the web and figured if I was going to get one, I should get a full face shield as opposed to the types that cover the nose and eyes. Just my luck I'd take a shot in the mouth, and I don't much care for dental work.

A couple that I've seen seem to have a strap around the back and one over the top front of the mask connecting to the rear somewhere. I'd be concerned about how a hat would/could fit over the straps.

I know some of you have been calling SP for 30 years and never had a problem. I envy your good fortune.

Anyhoos, if any of you guys/gals are wearing such or have some opinions or recommendations, I'd like to hear them.

Thanx,

Ted
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

In more than 20 years of umpiring slowpitch, I have never been hit in the face or head with a ball off the bat.

I have only had a couple of close calls, but nothing I did not easily avoid. I work a true slot and am always in a set position.

I don't know how you work the plate, but I have found that those who have issues avoiding the ball are often those who stand erect instead of dropping to the top of the strike zone. Not saying this is your issue, just stating personal experience and observation.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Search masks or protective face shields:

The Official Forum - Search Results
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

After a series of misfortunes in the field in Mens FP - I seriously considered wearing a fielders helmet on the bases a la John Olerud.

I didnt. But I still mull it over...

Anyway - when I call occasionally call SP I stand off to the side so I get a good 90 on the mat ..

If I were behind the catcher, it wouldn't take much for me to be thinking along the lines you are.

I'd suggest just wearing an umpire mask.

If not, I suppose Game Face it the best.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
after a series of misfortunes in the field in mens fp - i seriously considered wearing a fielders helmet on the bases a la john olerud.

I didnt. But i still mull it over...

anyway - when i call occasionally call sp i stand off to the side so i get a good 90 on the mat .. :d

if i were behind the catcher, it wouldn't take much for me to be thinking along the lines you are.

I'd suggest just wearing an umpire mask.

If not, i suppose game face it the best.

daaaammn you wade!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
daaaammn you wade!!!!!!!!!!!
Well if I stand too close, I might have to duck a pitch or something, causing me to spill my beer or drop my hot dog.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Well if I stand too close, I might have to duck a pitch or something, causing me to spill my beer or drop my hot dog.
Don't worry, your BU has another one waiting for you in his ball bag.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.