The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Game Management (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52914-game-management.html)

Chess Ref Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07am

Game Management

14U ASA game. I'm plate .

So coach changes pitchers and that subsequently causes him to move players around and in /out of the game. Partner says he'll take care of the warm up pitches so I go to the business of the line up card.

I get done and partner tells me we have ball one on the batter. He told her she could have 7 warm up pitches and she took 8. I don't know where he got 7,baseball ? but thats what he went with. I explained my position about pitches while I was doing umpire stuff but he felt she should have stopped at 7 pitches.

So DC comes out. I explain what happened and he gets a little fired up but cools off quickly.

My question is was it okay for me to explain to DC even though partner "made the call" ?

youngump Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597058)
14U ASA game. I'm plate .

So coach changes pitchers and that subsequently causes him to move players around and in /out of the game. Partner says he'll take care of the warm up pitches so I go to the business of the line up card.

I get done and partner tells me we have ball one on the batter. He told her she could have 7 warm up pitches and she took 8. I don't know where he got 7,baseball ? but thats what he went with. I explained my position about pitches while I was doing umpire stuff but he felt she should have stopped at 7 pitches.

So DC comes out. I explain what happened and he gets a little fired up but cools off quickly.

My question is was it okay for me to explain to DC even though partner "made the call" ?

You mean to take the protest? ;) You are PU.

If for some reason I couldn't convince my partner to back off of this there is no way I'd be the one explaining the call.
________
Katvlarop

Dakota Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597058)
...So DC comes out. I explain what happened and he gets a little fired up but cools off quickly.

No. I would not. Let him stew in his own juice. Unless he told the pitcher to stop, and she continued anyway, ASA 6-9 says the excessive warm-up pitches penalty does not apply in this situation. (Didn't we just discuss this?) I don't suppose you told him the limit was 5 pitches, so the "correct" penalty was 3 balls, did you? :D

Chess Ref Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 597076)
No. I would not. Let him stew in his own juice. Unless he told the pitcher to stop, and she continued anyway, ASA 6-9 says the excessive warm-up pitches penalty does not apply in this situation. (Didn't we just discuss this?) I don't suppose you told him the limit was 5 pitches, so the "correct" penalty was 3 balls, did you? :D

I let him know. It went over about as well as me telling my wife I'm going to Vegas for a weekend, alone.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597079)
I let him know. It went over about as well as me telling my wife I'm going to Vegas for a weekend, alone.

Going to check out the ranch while there? :D

BretMan Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:39pm

Well, in baseball the new pitcher gets 8 warm-up pitches, so he would have blown the call there, too!

Chess Ref Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 597081)
Going to check out the ranch while there? :D

Nah just a weekend of sitting around around sports books and watching baseball on the nickel line. :rolleyes:

Skahtboi Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:02pm

Tom is correct.

MichaelVA2000 Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597079)

Darn! I was looking forward to a Bunny report.:)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597089)
Nah just a weekend of sitting around around sports books and watching baseball on the nickel line. :rolleyes:

In case you change your mind......

Map & Directions to The BunnyRanch Menu!

Chess Ref Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 597112)
In case you change your mind......

Map & Directions to The BunnyRanch Menu!

I spent my JR High, High School and college years in and around Las Vegas.

I know where Nye County is and all that that implies. :eek:

I also know how to troll around the mean streets of Las Vegas. :rolleyes:

I'm too old and too married to troll anymore. ;)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597113)
:rolleyes:

I'm too old and too married to troll anymore. ;)

Hence the reason for the ranch! No muss, no fuss, no looking closely for an Adam's Apple :eek:

Just bring your money and be had!

wadeintothem Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:18pm

I admit I'm torn between out and out telling him to go kick rocks on his bs call and starting my count where I want, since it is a rules issue or letting him stew in his own mess. I'm not sure what I would do. Its just a BS call by an umpire. There really is no need for this stuff and it gives us all a bad name. When we see parents on other sites complaining about this stuff - much of it is for good reason. I truely believe a small portion of us go out there looking to "get em" - and that is unfortunate.

Chess Ref Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 597117)
Hence the reason for the ranch! No muss, no fuss, no looking closely for an Adam's Apple :eek:

Just bring your money and be had!

And too expensive...:)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 597119)
And too expensive...:)

Too expensive? I thought you said you were married.:rolleyes: