The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a 14U A tourney this weekend, and saw some great ball playing. All in all, everything went smoothly. However, I came away with this funny tale.

Close game, losing team is down by one run and is up to bat. With the release of the pitch, R1 takes off from first base with a full head of steam, only to be gunned down at second by the catcher. The head coach, who is coaching third, requests time and I grant it. He comes across the field to the first base coach, and calls the runner over to them. Keep in mind that this conversation is taking place in front of their oppositions' dugout.

HC: "Who gave the steal sigh? Did you see anyone give you the steal sign? What are you doing stealing if no one gives you the steal sign?"

R1: "I thought that he (points to 1st base coach) told me to steal."

HC: "Do you know what the steal sign is?"

R1: "Yes. Its this...(points to her head tenatively)"

HC: "What? That's not the steal sign. When are you girls going to start listening to us when we tell you these things?!"

FBC: "Ummm...I thought that you said that was the steal sign too!"

HC: (now quite emphatic) "That's the bunt sign!!! This is the steal sign!!! (Pats his head repeatedly)

By now you could hear a few chuckles coming from the opposing bench. It was all that I could do to keep from laughing myself, especially when you saw the look on the head coaches' face when he realized what he had just done. My partner and I got a good laugh out of this after the game. Oh well...the ball playing at this level is good anyway!

Scott