The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The worst rule book! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52301-worst-rule-book.html)

GrumpUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 07:45am

The worst rule book!

No I have not read them all but of the ones I have read the 2009 ISA Rule Book is the worst. Last year’s rule book was no prize but it was put together better than this year’s rule book. There are missing words in sentences. There are incomplete sentences. There are no page numbers. There is no Table of Contents. There is no Index. There is at least 1 reference to a page number but the page number itself is missing. It appears to have been put together by a group of kids who were late for lunch. Is there a rule book worse than this that I haven’t seen yet?

whiskers_ump Mon Mar 16, 2009 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp (Post 588668)
No I have not read them all but of the ones I have read the 2009 ISA Rule Book is the worst. Last year’s rule book was no prize but it was put together better than this year’s rule book. There are missing words in sentences. There are incomplete sentences. There are no page numbers. There is no Table of Contents. There is no Index. There is at least 1 reference to a page number but the page number itself is missing. It appears to have been put together by a group of kids who were late for lunch. Is there a rule book worse than this that I haven’t seen yet?

One I can think of, right DAKOTA?

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump (Post 588671)

YSIFS' rule book is ten times worse. The Rules Supplement is filled with "I KILL you!"

Dakota Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump (Post 588671)

Yup, but I haven't kept up with them... have they improved it?

My favorite line from the book (from a few years ago... I suppose it is still there... )
Quote:

These are the basic playing rules adapted by the United States Fastpitch Association. We will not mention the very basics, which are universal. Balls, Strikes, Outs, Foul Ball, Fair ball, defensive interference, offensive interference, home run, triple, double, single, walk, strike out, etc. These are some of the fundamental parts of the game that have been a part of the game since it was invented. Any organization that changes these rules is changing the foundation of the game.
:D

I do not believe it is possible to call a game (unless it was exceptionally routine) using ONLY the USFA rule book.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 588719)
Yup, but I haven't kept up with them... have they improved it?

My favorite line from the book (from a few years ago... I suppose it is still there... ) :D

I do not believe it is possible to call a game (unless it was exceptionally routine) using ONLY the USFA rule book.

Wow.

GrumpUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 588680)
YSIFS' rule book is ten times worse. The Rules Supplement is filled with "I KILL you!"

What is YSISF?

Stu Clary Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:05am

Quote:

Yes, but there's also mention of 40 virgins.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp (Post 588721)
What is YSISF?

Yemeni Slayer of the Infidel Softball Federation.

A running gag on this board. :)

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Clary (Post 588731)
Yes, but there's also mention of 40 virgins.

40 virgins?! How about 40 slu.... Oh I'm just stopping right there...

Welpe Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 588734)
40 virgins?! How about 40 slu.... Oh I'm just stopping right there...

He was talking about YSISF, not the local university sorority intramural tournament. :D

CajunNewBlue Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 588719)

yes it it... its all umpire judgment. :D

lol @ defensive interference.

But seriously, last year everyone would use ASA with the USFA mod's.... or at least that's what i was told.

SethPDX Mon Mar 16, 2009 04:59pm

Quote:

In their defense, it makes penalties so much easier to enforce. :p

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Mar 16, 2009 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 588813)
In their defense, it makes penalties so much easier to enforce. :p

And I understand the most important and expensive component of the umpire's uniform is the wide-bladed sword! :p

Steve M Mon Mar 16, 2009 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 588824)
And I understand the most important and expensive component of the umpire's uniform is the wide-bladed sword! :p

Is that more important than the bomb kept in the ball bag? I'm sure I read that arguing ball/strike calls leads to a suicide meeting with the defensive coach.

wadeintothem Mon Mar 16, 2009 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 588736)
He was talking about YSISF, not the local university sorority intramural tournament. :D

pfffffffffffffftt

I doubt you could find 4 virgins at that.

Probably have to go to an umpire clinic to find 40 virgins.