The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Need to bury the Hatchet with Irish

OK so a topic of discussion at last nights board meeting between me and my commish was me and Irish. (Not to be confused with a topic OF the board mtg, just at it.. kind of a running side joke) Apparaently, for years Irish has been making contact with my commish trying to ascertain my identity and since I willingly gave it to him before the OKC UIC meeting he went to my commish identity in hand. Irish did mention it to me a few years ago that he was going to do that, he obviously serious.

It was a friendly chat with my Commish so I dont want to give the wrong impressions, but it is clear me and Irish need to bury the hatchet.

I'll start off by stating I actually respect a lot of what irish does and and has done for the softball "internet" community. I disagree with the manner he goes about it and have opinions on his approach to officiating which differ from his. I've learned a lot from him and him and the you folks on this board have made me a better umpire.

Now what probably Irish doesnt know and surely most of you dont know (some do) is that I donate literally hundreds of hours to my organization and work very hard for my softball community. I do not take, I give back. I give back a lot.

I use this forum to disagree with some things ASA does, and i stand by that. But to my core, and between the chalk lines, I am 100% ASA. 100%. I learn and do exactly what ASA tells me to do and I damnwell hustle when I do it.

Last night my commish personnally nominated me to two nationals, one this year and one next year, and they are pretty choice. I was very honored to accept them and am looking forward to them.

irish cannot hurt me in my organization; I have no doubt as I try to advance outside of my area that Irish COULD hurt me. His propensity to make contacts into my personnal life is real and somewhat scarey, but worse, it could be damaging to my umpire career or even to my organization, one that I work very hard on and for. I do not want that.

So first off, I need to apoligize to you Mike. You hold a high position, one that you have earned, and I apologize for my part in out little battles. I will no longer engage you in any of the forums we frequent. I may offer my opinion, but I'm done. I can ill afford a war with someone of your level. I was in the wrong, often obnoxious, and I apologize.

Furthermore, we will surely meet. Especailly after last night, its virtually assured. At the time I will buy you your beverage of choice and hopefully we can develope some level of at least mutual respect, but may even be friends. I dont have a single umpire enemy. I love my brothers and sisters in blue and work very hard for them and my organization. I dont want you for an enemy. Umpires who know me know I am a very friendly umpire - sometimes my attitude on hear may lead you to think otherwise. Thats my bad.

But, brother, I need to ask you to otherwise stay out of my life. My fear is not your contacts with my commish, that was a funny fun conversation and you know MP is a great guy - but I do worry that you would even take it farther and contact future tournament UIC's etc. When I go to those nationals and big tournaments, I represent my organization and I take that very seriously. I represent myself. I like to do well and i dont want to be sabatoged over some idiotic war i've caused on the internets. In short, I surrender Mike. Now please sir, leave me be. We'll meet up one day, shake hands, and be done with the business and hopefully what ever bad blood there is or heartburn you have been cause, and be quashed - on here, in other forums, and most certainly, your contacts into my real life.

Thanks
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The dangers of writing something online is that it's missing what I would consider 90% of the most important information: context and tone. Words only say so much; how they're said makes all the difference, and the internet completely strips our words of that effect.

Now, I've been here for what? 2 years? Give or take? I've not known Mike or wade long, and I don't know how it started. However, I'd be willing to bet that if we somehow found the original thread that started all this, it would be attributable to the above-mentioned issue: context and tone being stripped from the words.

I respect the both of you as both umpires and contributors. You both have a ton of experience that can easily translate onto this board, and I appreciate the participation from both of you. I think that comments made by the two of you have made me a better umpire. I thank both of you for that.

Fellas, you both have more in common than you might think. Both of you have a passion for softball. Both of you have a passion for umpiring. Both of you have a passion for self-improvement, and in my estimation, advancement. I commend both of you for that.

I agree that it's time to bury the hatchet, fellas. You both have way too many positive things to contribute to softball to let an online fight drag either of you down. So let's hoist some beers, fellas. We're all on the same team!

Now where's that damned "kudos" button...?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

wow.... the things that go on, that we never know about.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thought we were in this together for the kids. Not our ego.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
Thought we were in this together for the kids. Not our ego.
True, and I'm positive both gentlemen realize and agree with that. It takes a big man to come up and say, "guys, I was wrong, and I want to move forward." I think we can all agree on that, so let's all move forward.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting.

Apology and accusation all rolled into one.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wade, I'm glad you want to restrain from making your disagreements so personal, but I think you are seriously overreacting to Mike's inquiry. I have also had conversations at ASA functions with Mike and your commish, while sharing an adult beverage in social time, in past years we asked if he knew who you were; this year at the UIC Clinic, we knew. So, we commented in the same social setting that now we knew.

Mike feels strongly about protecting the ASA name and the ASA image; as do I. If/when I think an ASA umpire is damaging ASA, or his state program, or even his local association, I consider it may be appropriate to work within channels to make sure his immediate chain of command is aware of his actions. That is where it ends; if that UIC and Commissioner approve, condone, or even simply choose to ignore, that is their call. But, they need to know what is being said or done in order to approve, condone or ignore.

We all do this for a reason; and the general population doesn't get it. It's hard enough for coaches to grasp why umpires don't agree with the coaches' perspective; it is worse when they see us with personal attacks and infighting, not just disagreeing. About a year ago, I let someone goad me into responding on several boards on a personal level; and I regret that.

I learned from it, and moved past that point. I'm glad you are ready to also; but I can also assure you (and I am positive I speak for Mike, as well) that no one here is looking to follow you or anyone else to harm your career as an umpire. Many of us on this board know each other; many have decided to meet because of this and other boards. It isn't stalking; it's interest and concern in a chosen and shared community.

Let's all move on.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Mar 03, 2009 at 04:00pm.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

so who's buying the beers... and where? ohhh yeah... and when?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
so who's buying the beers... and where? ohhh yeah... and when?
I will, Thursday evening, April 30th in NOLA. Not sure where, but probably start with happy hour at the Embassy Suites near the Convention Center.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I will, Thursday evening, April 30th in NOLA. Not sure where, but probably start with happy hour at the Embassy Suites near the Convention Center.
Hang on, I'm writing this down...

Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Hang on, I'm writing this down...
Before you get too excited, drinks are free (for registered guests) at the Embassy Suites during happy hour.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

free drinks... my favorite! ermmmm WTF is a NOLA? sounds like a good name for a hurricane.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Before you get too excited, drinks are free (for registered guests) at the Embassy Suites during happy hour.
Okay, I'll walk down Decatur St and see if we can find a bar. May go to the other side of the Quarter and hit Tujaques and work my way back. No, wait a minute, that will not work. Friends will probably want to finish up at DuMonde for late night beignet and beverage.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Okay, I'll walk down Decatur St and see if we can find a bar. May go to the other side of the Quarter and hit Tujaques and work my way back. No, wait a minute, that will not work. Friends will probably want to finish up at DuMonde for late night beignet and beverage.
sounds vaguely familiar.... helps if i drink a lot to find my way around orleans.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Well golly Steve, that's wonderful news! That being the case, the problem sounds completely resolvable and it certainly seems like, as this blows away, we can all find new avenues with which to expend our energies during those lulls and we can find new fresh topics to discuss during our adult beverage time. Thank you for that info! This should work out just fine. I appreciate that.

We'll meet up for beverages and I'll let you and mike buy me coffee

I'm a cheap date.