The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Need to bury the Hatchet with Irish

OK so a topic of discussion at last nights board meeting between me and my commish was me and Irish. (Not to be confused with a topic OF the board mtg, just at it.. kind of a running side joke) Apparaently, for years Irish has been making contact with my commish trying to ascertain my identity and since I willingly gave it to him before the OKC UIC meeting he went to my commish identity in hand. Irish did mention it to me a few years ago that he was going to do that, he obviously serious.

It was a friendly chat with my Commish so I dont want to give the wrong impressions, but it is clear me and Irish need to bury the hatchet.

I'll start off by stating I actually respect a lot of what irish does and and has done for the softball "internet" community. I disagree with the manner he goes about it and have opinions on his approach to officiating which differ from his. I've learned a lot from him and him and the you folks on this board have made me a better umpire.

Now what probably Irish doesnt know and surely most of you dont know (some do) is that I donate literally hundreds of hours to my organization and work very hard for my softball community. I do not take, I give back. I give back a lot.

I use this forum to disagree with some things ASA does, and i stand by that. But to my core, and between the chalk lines, I am 100% ASA. 100%. I learn and do exactly what ASA tells me to do and I damnwell hustle when I do it.

Last night my commish personnally nominated me to two nationals, one this year and one next year, and they are pretty choice. I was very honored to accept them and am looking forward to them.

irish cannot hurt me in my organization; I have no doubt as I try to advance outside of my area that Irish COULD hurt me. His propensity to make contacts into my personnal life is real and somewhat scarey, but worse, it could be damaging to my umpire career or even to my organization, one that I work very hard on and for. I do not want that.

So first off, I need to apoligize to you Mike. You hold a high position, one that you have earned, and I apologize for my part in out little battles. I will no longer engage you in any of the forums we frequent. I may offer my opinion, but I'm done. I can ill afford a war with someone of your level. I was in the wrong, often obnoxious, and I apologize.

Furthermore, we will surely meet. Especailly after last night, its virtually assured. At the time I will buy you your beverage of choice and hopefully we can develope some level of at least mutual respect, but may even be friends. I dont have a single umpire enemy. I love my brothers and sisters in blue and work very hard for them and my organization. I dont want you for an enemy. Umpires who know me know I am a very friendly umpire - sometimes my attitude on hear may lead you to think otherwise. Thats my bad.

But, brother, I need to ask you to otherwise stay out of my life. My fear is not your contacts with my commish, that was a funny fun conversation and you know MP is a great guy - but I do worry that you would even take it farther and contact future tournament UIC's etc. When I go to those nationals and big tournaments, I represent my organization and I take that very seriously. I represent myself. I like to do well and i dont want to be sabatoged over some idiotic war i've caused on the internets. In short, I surrender Mike. Now please sir, leave me be. We'll meet up one day, shake hands, and be done with the business and hopefully what ever bad blood there is or heartburn you have been cause, and be quashed - on here, in other forums, and most certainly, your contacts into my real life.

Thanks