The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chefie_b
Question

I'm trying to get a opinion on the strike zone for slow pitch. People in my league are calling strikes on the front of the plate and this frustrating. It takes the bat out batters hand and your forced to stand out of the battters box to get at good pitch. Can someone give me some insite as to what the ruling is.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know where you are from, but in my area anything that hits the plate or any part of it, is a strike, even the front of it (black lining around it). but, anything that doesn't is a ball. Is this different other places?
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

But a strike in baseball is a ball that passes through the strike zone(This is an ivisible box that sits over the plate in which the ball must pass through between the knees and the numbers.). Now your telling me that a ball that lands on the front of the plate actually passes through this area after reaching a height of six to twelve feet!?
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA, any pitch that hits the plate HAS to be a ball. It didn't pass through the strike zone. However, many leagues play with a mat that fits behind the plate, and in that case the strike zone is purely on the ground: any ball that hits the plate or the mat is a strike. No doubt various places around the country play with modifications to these rules, though.

In mat ball, many pitches that would be strikes in regular ASA are balls, and vice versa. For example, a 12-foot pitch that hits the back of the mat is a strike, but in regular ASA that pitch would be a ball to any human-sized batter. Conversely, a 6-foot pitch might pass directly through the regular zone but hit behind the mat for a ball or catch the outside corner but then miss the mat). Leagues use the mat to reduce arguments over balls and strikes, and with today's rock-hard balls and juiced-up bats, it doesn't really matter.

Incidentally, the strike zone is AT THE PLATE. It is not determined by where the batter is standing in the box. That distinction is crucial, much more important in slow pitch than in fast pitch or baseball. It is also the front knee to the back shoulder.

Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

How is it a strike if it hits the plate. ASA is always a ball.
Jeff
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Here is a web page that might help that i just found

http://www.softball.org.uk/rules/strikezone.html

and it will show the strike zone
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

hmmm... now you guys and gals have me rather baffled. I know that is the rule for the league I work, but, i think i'll call my partner and talk to him, maybe i have some big misconception (like that ever happens...
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chefie_b
Here is a web page that might help that i just found

http://www.softball.org.uk/rules/strikezone.html

and it will show the strike zone
Well, Chefie, I don't know at what you are looking, but there is nothing on the Edinburgh page that even remotely indicated a ball hitting the front of the plate being called a strike.

BTW, is anyone from your area attending the ISF Co-Ed Slowpitch World Cup Tournament in Plant City, Florida next week?

Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

In my league here in Vancouver BC Canada, they are calling strikes on the front of the plate. I have been arguing this from day one but it seems to have gotten out of control here. I thank you all for your input.
I've played ball all across Canada and here the rules have changed to their liking.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is why it's so important to tell us the rules used when asking a question. Here's a whole thread about a slow pitch strike zone, and no one knows what rule book the league uses.

Bob
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I've always known the strike rule in baseball, the rule is the same no matter where you go I thought. A ball must travel through the strike zone to be called a strike. And you all helped with your agreements to this.

I have a ball game Tommorrow and the commish will be there and I will have a few new things for him.

I will also let him know about this site
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I have some idea

In my country in SP strike zone will be applied to use strike plate.

strike plate is a rubber plate cover on interval betaween batter box but short than batter box about 6 inc.

batter box is 7 feet long, 4 feet on front and 3 feet rear.

strike plate start from 3 feet rear include angle of home plate till last batter box but short than its 6 inc.

batter will still in batter box while batting ball

ball hit front home plate is not strike

ball hit any part of strike plate include angle of home plate it's will strike

runner take home can use both home plate and strike plate to avoid in the injurie case ( Catcher also )

| |
|________|_____|_|
-----|\ |
| | \ |
| | / |
|___|/ |
|----------- |--------|-|
| |
| |
Try to see its pls.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Oh my god

my picture can not see

sorry

If you want to have picture for strike plate

e-mail to me

[email protected]
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chefie_b
I've always known the strike rule in baseball, the rule is the same no matter where you go I thought. A ball must travel through the strike zone to be called a strike. And you all helped with your agreements to this.

AS my sons always told me, "That's what you get for thinkin' Dad". Strike zones are different, depending on the level of ball. The Pro and FED zones are completely different from each other.

Bob

I have a ball game Tommorrow and the commish will be there and I will have a few new things for him.

I will also let him know about this site
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ha! Blue-Z, check with your area commissioner, if there are league rules; he could post them so all umpires in your league would be on the same page. Good Luck !