The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Last night while calling a ASA Girls 14 & under, I had the bases, when one of the coaches asked, Don't the pitcher have to have both feet on the pitcher plate, to start her pitch? My friend the plate umpire said no!, the coach didn't arguer, but I told him the coach was right. Question?
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Well....I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but your friend the PU was wrong! Rule 6:1:A:2 clearly states that "the pitcher shall take a position with both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate." What's more, is most clinics will say that, as the field umpire, this was your call. Most mechanics have the PU watching the pitcher's upper body (hands, presentation if required...etc) while the FU is responsible for watching the lower body (feet in contact with the pitcher's plate, leaps, illegal steps...etc.)

This is one of those things that I look for when a pitcher is warming up. That way, I can give the coach an attempt at correcting it before she actually has to pitch to a batter. Then, if she does this during play, I have no qualms about calling an illegal pitch on her.

Scott
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Larry,

Where exactly were the pitcher's feet?

I ask this because technically, your PU was correct, as of course is Scott - the difference being the use of the terms "on" and "in contact with".

Many times I have had to explain the difference to coaches who are sure the pitcher is illegal by only heel-toeing the rubber (especially when they can see the smallest of gap opening up between feet & rubber during the windup).

Martin
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Martin, I'm glad you asked. I noticed tonight, that's what happen. It was heel / toe all the way. Thanks Martin! I learned something.