The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Gear Bag

Who here does NOT have one?? Seems to be a rather silly question, I know, but still, there are those who do not have one..

I have the one that ASA sold for a long time - I do not know who made it, but it sure is solid! I have had mine for over 7 years now - I actually use the darn thing as LUGGAGE when I am traveling! It takes every bit of abuse the airline monkeys can dish out, and if you think it handles a lot of umpiring gear, it is amazing for regular travel stuff. Plus there seems to an added bonus: all the times it has flown, it has YET to get a TSA 'we searched your bag' flier! This while my regular luggage HAS!

I suspect that between everything, it must have 50,000 miles on it! it will be a truly sad day when I will be forced to retire this!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
I assume you clean it or wipe it out when converting from umpiring to vacationing? Mine tends to collect a bit of dirt in the bottom.

I sprung for a large duffle-style bag one the first year I umpired from HSRS in Canada with my name embroidered on it. It holds one set of gear fine but with two hat holders, two chest pads, helmet and mask, it's stuffed. It _would_ hold a ton of clothes! No shoulder strap though so not great for carrying long distances. Last year at a tournament our UIC had the Diamond one with compartments and a separate section for clothes. Nice, but for $140 I don't do enough tournaments. I worked a SP provincial championship and I fit everything into a garment bag.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Who here does NOT have one?? Seems to be a rather silly question, I know, but still, there are those who do not have one..

I have the one that ASA sold for a long time - I do not know who made it, but it sure is solid! I have had mine for over 7 years now - I actually use the darn thing as LUGGAGE when I am traveling! It takes every bit of abuse the airline monkeys can dish out, and if you think it handles a lot of umpiring gear, it is amazing for regular travel stuff. Plus there seems to an added bonus: all the times it has flown, it has YET to get a TSA 'we searched your bag' flier! This while my regular luggage HAS!

I suspect that between everything, it must have 50,000 miles on it! it will be a truly sad day when I will be forced to retire this!
I had flashback to the old Samsonite commercial with the chimp throwing the luggage around. Nice!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the "Diamond Bag" thread over on the baseball board. Everything you ever wanted to know about umpire gear bags, and then some!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
I assume you clean it or wipe it out when converting from umpiring to vacationing? Mine tends to collect a bit of dirt in the bottom.

I sprung for a large duffle-style bag one the first year I umpired from HSRS in Canada with my name embroidered on it. It holds one set of gear fine but with two hat holders, two chest pads, helmet and mask, it's stuffed. It _would_ hold a ton of clothes! No shoulder strap though so not great for carrying long distances. Last year at a tournament our UIC had the Diamond one with compartments and a separate section for clothes. Nice, but for $140 I don't do enough tournaments. I worked a SP provincial championship and I fit everything into a garment bag.
I work volleyball in the fall, and everything I need for a match fits in a bag the size of a small camera case/shaving kit! That includes my whistle, a chain to measure net height, the ball gauge (which we never use, of course ! Our unofficial test is to bounce the darn thing!) and ball pump, and the jewelry rule and sportsmanship cards we are SUPPOSED read before every match/game in NYS.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Academy's bag is a great bag.