The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction/Interference clinic materials

I am presenting a two-hour (approx) clinic on Interference and Obstruction for HS umpires in about a week. I will have access to a computer, projector, etc.

Do any of you have or know of any video available that would show obstruction and/or interference plays?

I'm going to cover rulebook definitions and case plays, but having actual visual plays would help as well.

My personal feeling is that obstruction does not get called often enough and most umpires aren't looking for it or recognizing it.

If you want to shoot me a PM or respond here, that would be great. Thanks
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA presentation last weekend had some good video on obstruction even with the "about to receive" still in the language. Perhaps you can get it from Emily.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I am presenting a two-hour (approx) clinic on Interference and Obstruction for HS umpires in about a week. I will have access to a computer, projector, etc.

Do any of you have or know of any video available that would show obstruction and/or interference plays?

I'm going to cover rulebook definitions and case plays, but having actual visual plays would help as well.

My personal feeling is that obstruction does not get called often enough and most umpires aren't looking for it or recognizing it.

TWO HOURS?!?! Wow!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
TWO HOURS?!?! Wow!
I was thinking the same thing!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
TWO HOURS?!?! Wow!
(slotted for two hours..... that means 30 mins of instruction, 45 min of "what if"s 15 min of "well, Im not going to call it that way" and 30 min of breaks! )
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
(slotted for two hours..... that means 30 mins of instruction, 45 min of "what if"s 15 min of "well, Im not going to call it that way" and 30 min of breaks! )
So, a typical meeting in my association, then.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGIZ_xhePo

heres a good 1/2 hour of bickering Take a break for 15 mins to let em calm down.

There ya go, 45 mins down the drain.

1:15 to go.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Holy Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Two hours on interference and obstruction!!!! Good luck!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGIZ_xhePo

heres a good 1/2 hour of bickering Take a break for 15 mins to let em calm down.

There ya go, 45 mins down the drain.

1:15 to go.
Absolutely. Look at how the PU moves his head.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
Two hours on interference and obstruction!!!! Good luck!
It should be noted that his class will include several transfers from Texas and Illinios. Since people from these two states are slower than the rest of us, he may not have ENOUGH time to get it done......

Last edited by azbigdawg; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 12:09pm.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It should be noted that his class will include several transfers from Texas and Illinios. Since people from this two states are slower than the rest of us, he may not have ENOUGH time to get it done......
Now, that is nasty.

However, I remember the year HS dropped the automatic appeal. I attended a HS clinic in a neighboring state and the clinician got terribly frustrated as the HS-only guys who could not grasp the concept of waiting for the offended team to make a missed-base appeal.

Same group couldn't quite understand the OBS call when the automatic advancement was dropped.

Spent a lot of time on both subjects and the eternal "what if's"
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It should be noted that his class will include several transfers from Texas and Illinios. Since people from this two states are slower than the rest of us, he may not have ENOUGH time to get it done......
And this is coming from someone in, God forbid, Arizona??? I mean, in Texas, we at least know the demonstrative adjective "this" is only used for singular nouns, such as "Speaking of Arizona, this state has to have some of the least funny people I know." Whereas "these" would be properly used with plural nouns. As in, "It should be noted that his class will include several transfers from Texas and Illinois. Since people from these states are far advanced and superior to the folk from Arizona, five minutes will be all that he needs to cover the OBS/INT rules."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
And this is coming from someone in, God forbid, Arizona??? I mean, in Texas, we at least know the demonstrative adjective "this" is only used for singular nouns, such as "Speaking of Arizona, this state has to have some of the least funny people I know." Whereas "these" would be properly used with plural nouns. As in, "It should be noted that his class will include several transfers from Texas and Illinois. Since people from these states are far advanced and superior to the folk from Arizona, five minutes will be all that he needs to cover the OBS/INT rules."
Just a minor typo...and I havent met a person from Texas that can comprehend ANYTHING in five minutes....

(It should noted that I love the great state of Texas and its people. You just have to take a shot at them occasionally to keep their heads from getting TOO big.)
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to keep their heads from getting TOO big.)
Is that possible?