The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 28, 2002, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Did any one see the play vs Arizonia State that had a batter hit and awarded first base. It looked like the batter was going to push a bunt along the first base line, pulled the bat back at the last minute when she realized it was a breaking ball and walked into the pitch. Linda Wells came out of the dugout to ask but didn't get the answer she was looking for and went back...Battter ends up on first...looked like Wells had a legit complaint...Any thoughts ?
Old Tue May 28, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

HBP play.

I saw the incident you described in your post. The batter was attempting a bunt and the pitch was high and inside. Although the batter may not have done everything she could to avoid the pitch, her momentum did seem to carry her into the path of the pitch. The HP umpire did everything right after being questioned by the head coach. She conferred with her partners and after the discussion the call stood.
Old Tue May 28, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: HBP play.

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
I saw the incident you described in your post. The batter was attempting a bunt and the pitch was high and inside. Although the batter may not have done everything she could to avoid the pitch, her momentum did seem to carry her into the path of the pitch. The HP umpire did everything right after being questioned by the head coach. She conferred with her partners and after the discussion the call stood.
I saw the play and without hesitation thought that the batter stepped into the pitch. The PU isn't going to see that from behind the play, but I thought that maybe the BU @ 1B would have the call.

Debbi asked her partners and I can only assume their response was that they did not provide enough information for her to change the call.

IMHO, the batter didn't pull back the bat at the last second, but almost as soon as the pitch was released. If there were any momentum, you would think that it would be retreating with the bat, not the opposite direction.

BTW, didn't the alleged announcers note that this particular player had be HBP 17 times this season?

Can anyone say Ron Hunt?