LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

NAFA Does Not Last Long In This Area

NAFA has already been replaced in this area. [Texas]

IFA is taking over. NAFA lasted 3/4th of a season locally. Once the Nats
was over, it was replaced.

http://www.ifasoftballcentral.com/

Glad I only bought two shirts. They were on a two for one sale.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
NAFA has already been replaced in this area. [Texas]

IFA is taking over. NAFA lasted 3/4th of a season locally. Once the Nats
was over, it was replaced.

http://www.ifasoftballcentral.com/

Glad I only bought two shirts. They were on a two for one sale.
Can't you Texans make up your mind? And here I thought it was Presidents from Georgia that sat high in the straddle.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Sure they can. Tommy Voss in Beaumont has made up his mind to make money on teams, umpires, and insurance commissions, and NAFA wasn't kicking enough back.

Keep buying shirts, Glen; they haven't run out of letters yet.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Politics as usual

Sad.........AFA had a pretty good following on the Gulf Coast of Texas and Oklahoma (both ASA strongholds). Many ASA resgistered teams played in the AFA qualifiers here just in case they did not get qualify for the ASA championships.

It was a beneficial symbiotic relationship between the two.

As is usual in the creation of competing organizations.........egos and politics of the individuals at the top get in the way of the big picture.

I have fond memories of the old AFA group. Glen umpired in one of the National tournaments that one of my daughters played in.

Lately it has just come become more diluted..........(which I am sure he will admit).

Joel
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing here in Okla. NAFA gone.

They decided to let us wear our high school uniform so we won't have to buy anything new.........YET.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
Same thing here in Okla. NAFA gone.

They decided to let us wear our high school uniform so we won't have to buy anything new.........YET.
Yes, that is what we were told also. Hope they are not pulling
our chain. I am running out of closet space. They just want us
to wear an IFA cap. Hmmmm wonder what that will cost?
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Hey, I like that idea of each team having to pay one umpire at the plate prior to the game. But...what if you are working three man? does the PU have to bring change to the meeting in his ball bag so they can get the odd man paid? Or...do you do a double flip, in which the losing BU has to work a freebie?
They instituted this method in the local leagues a few years back and it absolutely killed the local association. I don't like be paid on the field for a couple of reasons.

One reason is convenient store clerks get killed for less than $50 and a pack of cigarettes and a lot of the local parks are not well lit and security is non-existant.

Also, there is no incentive for an umpire to come to assn. meetings. And before you say, "well, just fine them", that would be awfully hard since there is no money in escrow (game fees due) from which to draw the fine. And before you say, "then just don't schedule them", and how do you suggest the assn. fulfill it's contract to provide umpires to the local leagues? Even if you could, already strapped associations are not looking to drive umpires away, but retain them and that isn't going to help if you start your season with a statement, "you need to pay us $xxx.xx before you can get a clinic or game".

Tournaments are no big deal, but for the sake of the local associations, I pay out tournament fees at their meetings and those who don't show, do not get paid until after the last association meeting. Not saying it helps that much, but it is my responsibility to aid the local associations in whatever manner I can.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
They instituted this method in the local leagues a few years back and it absolutely killed the local association. I don't like be paid on the field for a couple of reasons.

One reason is convenient store clerks get killed for less than $50 and a pack of cigarettes and a lot of the local parks are not well lit and security is non-existant.

Also, there is no incentive for an umpire to come to assn. meetings. And before you say, "well, just fine them", that would be awfully hard since there is no money in escrow (game fees due) from which to draw the fine. And before you say, "then just don't schedule them", and how do you suggest the assn. fulfill it's contract to provide umpires to the local leagues? Even if you could, already strapped associations are not looking to drive umpires away, but retain them and that isn't going to help if you start your season with a statement, "you need to pay us $xxx.xx before you can get a clinic or game".

Tournaments are no big deal, but for the sake of the local associations, I pay out tournament fees at their meetings and those who don't show, do not get paid until after the last association meeting. Not saying it helps that much, but it is my responsibility to aid the local associations in whatever manner I can.

I agree in part and disagree in part.

Ideally, umpires should be paid through the association and not on the field, security of that situation not being a concern IMO. This serves several other important purposes, from chain of command, to the money trail, to making sure the association and assigner gets their due.

Pay should be promptly, within a week or two, provided to the umpire, who is an independent contractor and deserving of pay for work provided in a timely manner.

Appearance at the association meetings can be a factor in deciding to assign, but should not be a factor in paying them once you choose to assign them; IMO.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Pay should be promptly, within a week or two, provided to the umpire, who is an independent contractor and deserving of pay for work provided in a timely manner.
Well, unfortunately, it isn't always that simple. I tried to make it that simple one year, but the money isn't always that quickly available. In this case, I'm referring to championship play, but it isn't only then. Colleges and high schools will not pay for games until they receive an invoice, process it and having the board issue a check. And occasionally, it can take months before the association receive remuneration for services rendered.

Quote:
Appearance at the association meetings can be a factor in deciding to assign, but should not be a factor in paying them once you choose to assign them; IMO.
Again, it is not always that easy.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, unfortunately, it isn't always that simple. I tried to make it that simple one year, but the money isn't always that quickly available. In this case, I'm referring to championship play, but it isn't only then. Colleges and high schools will not pay for games until they receive an invoice, process it and having the board issue a check. And occasionally, it can take months before the association receive remuneration for services rendered.

The only pay at the plate we have is travel ball. HS and college, check sent to
the umpire that called the game by the school that was home team. Even ASA
tournaments here are pay at the plate.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
The only pay at the plate we have is travel ball. HS and college, check sent to
the umpire that called the game by the school that was home team. Even ASA
tournaments here are pay at the plate.
That is pretty degrading IMO, and embarrassing.

But i've heard the texas umpire situation discussed a lot over at Heybucket, including this aspect. I think that area could use a little revamping. Part of that overhaul could be a more professional organization and billing system.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I would not put issues involving billing/red tape in the same category as intentionally withholding a private contractors pay until they attend a meeting.

I know one college assigner around here who pays once a year. Period. So thats it. If you choose to work for him, you do so knowing that.

That would hold true with your group as well, if you dont like it, dont work for your org.

I just dont agree with it.

Quote:

That is an organizational problem, not a problem for those who are doing the work.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sun Dec 07, 2008 at 03:48pm.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

All of the high schools in this part of Pa pay at the game, via check.
Most of the colleges I see pay at the game, 'tho there are some that it takes up to 5-6 weeks. Travel reimbursement does come once a year - at the end of the season.
Summer league play - and this includes some legion & adult wood bat BB - pay at the game. And this is almost always by check.
The ISC group I work with generally pays within 3 weeks - by check.
Tournaments have always paid by the end of the last day - with the note (not exception) that some pay at the end of each day.

Maybe I've gotten spoiled by this - in looking at how some areas are paid, I kinda think I have been spoiled. Most of the games I do are not for the local district - wonder why - so Mike's area's way of paying would not impact me. I do like the idea of having some way of, not forcing but "encouraging" local meeting attendance.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

A few questions..

If its pay at the game, how does the umpire organization get paid? Is it separate billing?

How is it accounted for with a 1099 or is it?

I wish it was all cash under the table for a game, but its just not in my area. Those days are gone. HS and travel ball tournaments go through an association, with everyone getting their kick and its all by contract. This is not a handshake type deal.

It seems very different in other areas.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
A few questions..

If its pay at the game, how does the umpire organization get paid? Is it separate billing?

How is it accounted for with a 1099 or is it?

I wish it was all cash under the table for a game, but its just not in my area. Those days are gone. HS and travel ball tournaments go through an association, with everyone getting their kick and its all by contract. This is not a handshake type deal.

It seems very different in other areas.
The umpire organization does not get paid - we're independant contractors.
As for 1099's, most of the high schools and all of the colleges have W-9's, but I don't usually get to $600 in a quater for any of them. I'm in a very rural area - huge ASA district, for example, but primarily farm land which does not make for a big number population-wise.

Yeah, every area seems to be different. Like you said - if you don't like the way it's done, work elsewhere. The vast majority of the games I do are outside of my area - but that's because I like higher level games.