View Single Post
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

I have run across a new one this year........

Apparently there are many umpires in my association that are allowing the catchers to do just damn near anything they want to attempt to distract the batter......

I have not called a lot of 10U games.........but just about every 10U game that I have called.........I have had to instruct the catcher to NOT address the batter once the pitcher is in the wind-up.......(and a few 12U and even one 14U game)......

I don't have a problem with a catcher who is overly chatty while the batter is taking signs......or is getting settled in the box.........BUT.......once the pitcher begins her wind-up.......I expect them to keep their mouth shut......

In every case..........I have had a DISTRESSED coach come to me between innings wanting to know WHY their catchers can't SCREAM/YELL STRIKE/or INTIMIDATE the batters.........

I tell them to look at ASA 10-9........of course.....none of the coaches have their books with them..........

Many of the cheers I hear on the fields break 10-9 (when I am paying attention to them)......and when I do notice them, I will usually comment to the coach..........but to be honest.........I attempt to block out the incessant cheering from the dugouts........but I do pay attention to the catcher............

Do any of you allow the catcher to talk to the batter once the windup begins..........and if you do.........how do you justify it under the rules?

Joel